Lt. Commander
# 11
11-17-2011, 11:48 AM
On the brighter side of life, there's plenty of better games coming out this holiday season. I'm just writing off STO as a terrible, terrible, terrible investment.
Lt. Commander
# 12
11-17-2011, 12:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by attilio View Post
In any case, its been a pretty crazy year. After the last series we were supposed to get the 4th one but then Cryptic decided to hold off until after the release of Season 4 since it was going to have a ground revamp and they wanted to try including those changes in the new series. Then all the F2P talks began and they needed to begin work on bringing that to us. Now they need to finish that work.
Respectfully, I don't see where the developers would necessarily be pulled off their jobs for the F2P discussions. Perhaps, once the decision was made to go to the F2P model, they'd suspend content development and work on F2P instead, but I'm kind of wondering where the devs were putting their time and effort since S4 launched over the summer.
Lt. Commander
# 13
11-17-2011, 04:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tel_jaeden View Post
mmmn main reason I haven't done much in STO for a while. I pretty much just log in if a friend of mine wants to do some STFs. Lately though I've been leveling an engineer on tribble. Once I hit the cap I won't really have anything else to do. Maybe I'll go back and get my Holodeck VA's diplomacy up or something
You really, really, REALLY should. Diplomacy is getting a hardcore nerf when it becomes part of the DOFF system. What you can probably grind out in a couple of weeks of dedicated (but boring) play will take upwards of a year of consistent effort in the F2P model.
Lt. Commander
# 14
11-17-2011, 04:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quark_Kent View Post
Respectfully, I don't see where the developers would necessarily be pulled off their jobs for the F2P discussions. Perhaps, once the decision was made to go to the F2P model, they'd suspend content development and work on F2P instead, but I'm kind of wondering where the devs were putting their time and effort since S4 launched over the summer.
You have a point. I don't know if you remember but Season 4 was kind of a flop. There were only 2 major updates and most of the things that were supposed to come were delayed. Its possible that after Season 4 was released the developers were busy working on the remaining features. Either that or they were busy working on the features we now see in Tribble. This is all speculation of course. What I can say with certainty is that the developers were not sitting around doing nothing. I can't see any company wasting money on wages like that, so I am sure they were working on something.
Lt. Commander
# 15
11-17-2011, 05:22 PM
I do disagree on one point - the ground borg stuff definitely counts as new content.
Lt. Commander
# 16
11-18-2011, 07:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobeleca
I do disagree on one point - the ground borg stuff definitely counts as new content.
What's different about it compared to Otha (the ground version of Ker'rat)?
Lt. Commander
# 17
11-18-2011, 07:22 AM
Meh, see you in Feb when I've a couple of stipends under my belt to see if the Sao Paolo is worth it.
Lt. Commander
# 18
11-18-2011, 07:25 AM
I was disappointed to see Series 4 pushed back several more months (nitpick:they never actually said it'd debut February 2012, just that it'd be "soon" after the 2nd Anniversary -- could be days, weeks, or maybe months. Keep in mind Klingon Academy was supposed to be Season 4 with SFA, which they then delayed both several weeks, then released SFA but said Klingon Academy would be a few weeks later, and now it should finally go live first week of December -- five months after Season 4 launched). *If* they start to pump out new episodes each week, with no more than a 2 week break between series, I would feel it was worth it. That'd be six feature series a year and had that been done from the start we'd have 60 high-quality feature episodes ready come 2nd Anniversary instead of 15.

The duty officer system is definitely some great content and I applaud all involved who worked on it. The event calendar is a nice touch and should help put the massively in this MMO, as this game has very much felt like a solo-trek for most of it.
Lt. Commander
# 19
11-18-2011, 09:54 AM
I totally agree the fe situation is very upsetting. However the Borge ground invasion is real new content. It has several missions several events and a strange but none the less unique loot system.
Lt. Commander
# 20
11-18-2011, 10:02 AM
The first couple of dates, I think we could reasonably be skeptical about but I do think this has gone on too long and shows some potentially VERY misplaced priorities, speaking as an outsider.