Lt. Commander
# 1 More Dynamic Game Play
11-17-2011, 02:34 PM
What these would be are in game events like Red Alert Borg invasions. They would make it seem that the universe in STO was alive, full of action. There would be a couple of types some PVP and PVE.

Patrol Missions These would be PVP missions like the ones tested on Tribble awhile back. Accept you wouldn't scan to get anomalies you would destroy or defend the transports. Six transports in two waves would move across the instance, fairly quickly. With a lot of hit points after they take heavy damage and get to twenty five percent hit points, their speed would slow. If they got to the edge of the instance they would warp out. When all six are destroyed or completed their run across the map. The game would end and the instance would close.

Out Post Attack There would be two types ground and space. The space one would be a attack on a asteroid base, which would randomly pick who attacks. You would try to destroy the base within a time limit, of five minutes. If the base wasn't destroyed before the time expires you would have to warp out because reinforcements were arriving.

The ground version you would attack a base with some NPC's and you would have to kill a boss to take it. While you are fighting players defending as well. You would also have to beat the clock, you would beam out to escape if the time expired.

Distress Calls These would be PVE both ground and space. The space would be a Kobayashi Maru style game. If you chose to do it you would have to defend a ship from attack. There would be a few waves of ships leading up to a boss. The more people who accepted and joined, the harder it would be. The ship could actually be destroyed as well.

Warp Core Breach Solo mission The ships core has breached and the crew got out a distress call before the were knocked unconscious. You would run through the ship healing the crew members who were unconscious, they would then beam out. You get a bonus for getting them all up before the timer runs out and the ship explodes. You would have to click a console to stop the warp core from breaching.

Base Defense You would defeat enemies who beamed down and took hostages on a base. They have placed a bomb you have to disarm it and kill the terrorist before the time expires. The hostages would be select able and could be killed so you would have to choose your target carefully.

Outbreak Solo Mission You would beam over to a station and scan all the sick NPC's before you succumb to the illness. Then program the environmental system to release the cure into the base saving you and the others.

Protect Village You would have to defeat several waves of attackers. To keep them from killing so many inhabitants of the colony, or the game would fail. The more players who entered the harder it would be.

These would happen randomly like Red Alerts in different sectors.
Lt. Commander
# 2
11-17-2011, 02:38 PM
I'm not sure some of those would be fun to repeat very often(specifically the warp core breach and outbreak), but I do agree they need to seriously expand the "Red Alert" system to include a bunch of different types of scenerios and enemies besides the Borg.

/support
Lt. Commander
# 3
11-17-2011, 02:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
I'm not sure some of those would be fun to repeat very often(specifically the warp core breach and outbreak), but I do agree they need to seriously expand the "Red Alert" system to include a bunch of different types of scenerios and enemies besides the Borg.

/support
The game would choose from one of those every few hours or something. Nothing where it would seem repetitive. Just make the universe seem more active and alive.

Maybe one the PVP missions would happen every hour.
Lt. Commander
# 4
11-17-2011, 02:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Englebert
The game would choose from one of those every few hours or something. Nothing where it would seem repetitive. Just make the universe seem more active and alive.

Maybe one the PVP missions would happen every hour.
What I mean is, certain types of events make sense to happen often: patrols, defense, distress calls, etc. Those are all "common place" type occurances which would happen during the war time setting of this game. However your crew coming down with some illness isnt something that would be happening regularly.
Lt. Commander
# 5
11-17-2011, 02:50 PM
Quote:
What I mean is, certain types of events make sense to happen often: patrols, defense, distress calls, etc. Those are all "common place" type occurances which would happen during the war time setting of this game. However your crew coming down with some illness isnt something that would be happening regularly.
I totally agree on that one. I was trying to get more non combat game in STO. A lot of people in this game thinks it needs some more non combat game play. That one could be like once a week, very rare.
Lt. Commander
# 6
11-17-2011, 02:52 PM
Comet Disaster A couple of comets are headed for a planet and you must destroy them before they hit the planet.
Lt. Commander
# 7
11-17-2011, 03:08 PM
Quote:
The ENTIRE history of Star Trek series would disprove this entirely and infact be the inverse of what your claiming. There was far less shooty major war stuff going on in Star Trek than episodic problem of the week stuff EVEN when the war was actually raging.

Random encounters / events like distress calls, illness outbreaks and random episode stuff would make a lot of sense and be no different than exploration missions in the clusters.
Lt. Commander
# 8
11-17-2011, 03:14 PM
The way I was looking at it was if would add some much needed randomness in game play, breaking up some of the grind.
Lt. Commander
# 9
11-17-2011, 07:48 PM
Quote:

/support
^ /Agree.

Overall I think some of the things the OP posted would be nice, with maybe some small variations for each type so that it wouldn't take a "rinse, repeat" tpye of feel like the Borg Red Alerts.

Nice thinking OP.
Lt. Commander
# 10
11-17-2011, 08:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenor-Nyiad View Post
^ /Agree.

Overall I think some of the things the OP posted would be nice, with maybe some small variations for each type so that it wouldn't take a "rinse, repeat" tpye of feel like the Borg Red Alerts.

Nice thinking OP.
Thanks, there could be more added and you wouldn't have to do them. I think it would break up the grind some.