Commander
# 161
08-19-2012, 04:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bannon3 View Post
I have 7 Professional, so I do not think its Win7 besides I have played since 2010 on my Win7 machine with no issues up until this May. But it would be interesting nonetheless to see what OS the afflicted are using.
Hey there Bannon3! Is your version of Windows 7 Professional 64-bit or 32-bit? Not that I'm sure that would matter, as my pal's W7 Home Edition is 64-bit, like my W7 Ultimate.

Only thing I could fathom, if our OS'es have anything to do with this problem, is what commonalities and differences between varying OS'es might be inhibiting our ability to patch and login?

A roll call of our Operating Systems and general overview of our respective systems might be useful in determining if there is any consistent pattern between those of us that have been effected by this problem.

I've got:
Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate, 64-bit (Fully Updated)
Graphics Card: Nvidia/EVGA GeForce 210, 1024MB, DDR3 (Drivers Updated)
RAM: 4 GB
Antivirus/Security Programs: AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition 2012, MS Windows Firewall, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (All Updated).
Internet Service Provider: Brighthouse Networks/Roadrunner of Central Florida, cable modem (no wireless router).
"Don't try to be a great man. Just be a man and let history make its own judgments." -Zefram Cochrane
Vice-Admiral Methos Corinthian
methos71
Career Officer
# 162
08-19-2012, 04:21 PM
Its 32bit, 4GB GSKILL Ram, ATI RADEON HD6850, We use Verizon FiOs. Not much else to say but other than to compare stats I dont think any of it is the issue. The problem lies somewhere with Cryptic/PWE and their servers. Funny thing, this all began with Server Not Responding timeouts in game whenever I tried to enter a patrol or enemy confrontation. At the time rebooting the modem seemed to fix it, then after awhile it didn't. then the unable to connect to patcher started and thats been my ordeal for the last 3 months. It all started right after an update, because that Saturday before the Thursday update I was in the game playing fine. I even restored my PC back to a week earlier just in case it was something I had done. I suppose if you wanted to go to extremes you could restore your PC back to Day 1 factory then reinstall STO and see what happens, its possible a Win update messed up something, who knows. In either case Cryptic should be able to give us a workaround to access the launcher, it cant be anything hard.
Commander
# 163
08-19-2012, 04:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bannon3 View Post
I even restored my PC back to a week earlier just in case it was something I had done. I suppose if you wanted to go to extremes you could restore your PC back to Day 1 factory then reinstall STO and see what happens, its possible a Win update messed up something, who knows. In either case Cryptic should be able to give us a workaround to access the launcher, it cant be anything hard.
I actually restored my system back to 8/7/2012 just last night. That had no effect on this issue at all, sadly.

And I'm pretty sure the possibility of the latest batch of Windows Updates being to blame has been negated, as I compared Windows Update records with my pal, who's been able to login to STO, without problems. We both have the exact same updates (only difference being MS Office updates, as I've got MSO '07 and he has MSO '10). All the system and security updates were exactly the same.

And there is no way in Grethor that I'm ever restoring my system back to day 1 factory settings!!!!! No frakking way man!!!

Really, my system has been running better than it's ever been since I had some pros solve some trouble last December. If anything, I've been worried that all the tooling around I've been doing, since this past Friday morning, in an effort to resolve this login/launcher problem has potentially done more harm than good.

That said, I really do think, at this point, that any resolution to this problem must come from Cryptic/PWE. It really does seem as though we've all done just about everything that one could fathomably do to resolve this and nothing has worked. Nothing!
"Don't try to be a great man. Just be a man and let history make its own judgments." -Zefram Cochrane
methos71
Career Officer
# 164
08-19-2012, 04:53 PM
Before I built my PC I used to restore my Sony VAIO once a year just to clear out all the corrupted files and clutter, took maybe a few hours after the process to get everything back up to speed. Today with carbonite I suppose you could backup everything there, restore and pull it all back then cancel. lol! Anyway if you dont have a factory PC restoring is tougher. Maybe tomorrow Branflakes will check in with us, one can hope.
Ensign
# 165
08-19-2012, 05:02 PM
day 7 and counting
Commander
# 166
08-19-2012, 05:17 PM
I've been mining google, to see if any solution pops up. Found something about Internet Explorer, that sounded promising. Yet, that didn't work either.

Funny thing is that I found a thread here: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...=267868&page=3 , describing a login problem that occurred on April 24th. And that issue got resolved within an hour, with Brandon (PWEBranflakes right?) declaring that the problem had been fixed.

I think a lack of weekend work hours for the Techies might be screwing with us.
methos71
Career Officer
# 167
08-19-2012, 05:26 PM
Seems in that case people could at least get the launcher up, it was a password issue? That was also before the PWE take over of everything too. I cant help thinkin that had something to do with our problem and lack of support Methos I admire your resolve, and not willin to sit down and take it I guess in a way I have resigned myself, its been too long. But keep researchin maybe you will find something

Found this in my error log:

120820 00:48:08 1 [1]: Launcher PCL Error The connection was idle for too long

Last edited by bannon3; 08-19-2012 at 05:49 PM.
Commander
# 168
08-19-2012, 07:04 PM
I just noticed two very similar entries into my STO Errors Log. Mine show as:

120820 01:24:01 1 [1]: Launcher PCL Error The connection was idle for too long
120820 01:30:26 1 [1]: Launcher PCL Error The connection was idle for too long

No idea what that might mean, but I'll certainly be googling 'em!
methos71
Commander
# 169
08-19-2012, 08:37 PM
Well, that was another lengthy, while completely useless bit of troubleshooting research.

I had actually wanted to do another system restore, back to before this Friday morning, when I discovered this mess; just in case I might've inadvertently messed with anything on my system. Yet, apparently, I can only go back to some time yesterday.

I am officially retreating for the evening, as I'm damned tired of attacking this problem to no avail.
methos71
Lieutenant
# 170
08-19-2012, 09:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by methos71 View Post
Well, that was another lengthy, while completely useless bit of troubleshooting research.
I wouldn't bother, if it was something on our end that we could fix, someone would have come up with something by now. Personally I'm now enjoying another game, its launcher pops right up and I can connect without a problem and the game runs smoothly.
Haters hate what they can't do - which is everything outside of hatin' - Kevin Smith