Lt. Commander
# 221
08-21-2012, 01:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by grouchyotaku View Post
However, if the issue was with Cryptic/PWE's end, then EVERYONE should be suffering from the problem. But this is simply not the case here... I connect from the Silicon Valley, and haven't been suffering these issues. (But then again, the Silicon Valley, being what it is, probably has a better quality connection to the Internet Backbone then most other locations...)
Grouchyotaku, I have to rebut your assertion that "if the issue was with Cryptic/PWE's end, then EVERYONE should be suffering from the problem. But this is simply not the case here" with a quote from DaStahl (former Cryptic dev) in this thread http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...t=login&page=3 , which addressed a very similar issue to the one we've been suffering here.

DaStahl stated, with regard to login and connection problems that ensued with the release of Season 6, that "Keep in mind this is a major integration update between the Cryptic and PW account servers, so while the game is up and running fine (many people are in game), the Network Engineering team is investigating the disconnects and login issues and expect them to be resolved as soon as possible."

In other words, a whole lot of players had been able to login and play fine then, whilst all those posting in that thread I linked to (as with those posting in this thread), were royally screwed at the same time. Yet, not just one Dev, but two devs in that thread acknowledged that the problem was not with the end user (i.e. 'us screwed folk'), but with Cryptic/PWE and their servers.

That aforementioned issue was resolved in a little over two hours; from initial report here on the forums on 7/12/12 at 3:31PM until PWEBranflakes statement that the server had been fixed, on the same day, at 5:55PM.

In all the digging I've been doing online, through these forums and through Google, since this past Friday morning, I recall another thread describing pretty much the same problem we've been enduring (also limited to some players and not all) and it too got resolved, with Dev acknowledgement, within two hours. Ah...found that login issue thread too (not exactly the same symptoms as this problem, but login problems no less), thread is here: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...ighlight=login. And that actually got resolved in one hour. Again, that issue was effecting some players and not all.

What's more, my research has found that this issue has occurred (almost identically) multiple times since sometime in 2010. In every instance, identical to this one, there was never one mention of an end user resolution, while there were acknowledgements of this problem being on Cryptic/PWE's, and in some (if not most) cases, also an acknowledgement of resolution on Cryptic/PWE's behalf.

PWEBranflakes has already peeked in and seemingly acknowledged this issue. Honestly, what I think we're all waiting for is a response from him or another Dev, as the problem is more than likely on their end.
"Don't try to be a great man. Just be a man and let history make its own judgments." -Zefram Cochrane
Vice-Admiral Methos Corinthian
methos71

Last edited by methos71; 08-21-2012 at 02:09 PM.
Career Officer
# 222
08-21-2012, 05:33 PM
Thread has been silent for awhile, I take it no news but I hope we arent giving up the fight even though we are a bit demoralized. branflakes. you out there?
Empire Veteran
# 223
08-21-2012, 06:04 PM
My issue stemmed from a crash that occurred on Thursday the 16th. For every crash there will be a report that is sent to Cryptic, but for some reason it got locked in the transfer of info.

Every time I clicked on the program afterwards it would pop in the task bar (defaultly located at the bottom of your screen as a list of all programs that are running), but wouldn't go any further.

I smoked the program entirely and reloaded it (didn't smoke anything from registry, just used uninstall program that is in the same folder as sto executable)

while the initial loading process was a little longer than I remembered, it did work with patience. hope this helps someone

ISP: Charter cable
Career Officer
# 224
08-21-2012, 06:43 PM
huh? You did a clean install and can access the game?

I guess thats what you meant I am going to try a full install with registry wipe, reboot and try an install.

Last edited by bannon3; 08-21-2012 at 07:00 PM.
Career Officer
# 225
08-21-2012, 07:21 PM
Okay doing the reinstall but not expecting any miracles. I sent branflakes a message yesterday very nicely asking him if any progress has been made, the message was read but not replied to so I dunno.....losing hope.

Oh and Pando Media Booster is insidious, an uninstall isnt enough, its in the registry in at least 2 places after its been wiped out. I removed all traces and will have to do so again after this install is complete.
Career Officer
# 226
08-21-2012, 07:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by methos71 View Post
Grouchyotaku, I have to rebut your assertion that "if the issue was with Cryptic/PWE's end, then EVERYONE should be suffering from the problem. But this is simply not the case here" with a quote from DaStahl (former Cryptic dev) in this thread http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...t=login&page=3 , which addressed a very similar issue to the one we've been suffering here.

DaStahl stated, with regard to login and connection problems that ensued with the release of Season 6, that "Keep in mind this is a major integration update between the Cryptic and PW account servers, so while the game is up and running fine (many people are in game), the Network Engineering team is investigating the disconnects and login issues and expect them to be resolved as soon as possible."

In other words, a whole lot of players had been able to login and play fine then, whilst all those posting in that thread I linked to (as with those posting in this thread), were royally screwed at the same time. Yet, not just one Dev, but two devs in that thread acknowledged that the problem was not with the end user (i.e. 'us screwed folk'), but with Cryptic/PWE and their servers.
However, regardless if there is a STO Login Server issue (or not) this does not explain the 'Net Test' reset results that you're seeing... The 'Net Test' isn't talking directly to the STO Servers, its talking to a diagnostic server that happens to be located on the same end-point network. The results still suggest that there is a connection quality issue involved here...

(And sorry for the delayed response, I've been busy grinding for Doffs & Dilithium this afternoon...)

Last edited by grouchyotaku; 08-21-2012 at 07:39 PM.
Ensign
# 227
08-21-2012, 07:36 PM
Hey all, just d/l via steam last night, very keen to play this but i have a sort of different problem....but similar. I can get to the patcher everytime but it stalls between 70 - 80% and then just nothing. No error just stalls. Not very helpfull just wanted to add to the "Annoyed person with a day off and got some time without the missus to just chill and play some games" pile.
Lt. Commander
# 228
08-21-2012, 08:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by grouchyotaku View Post
However, regardless if there is a STO Login Server issue (or not) this does not explain the 'Net Test' reset results that you're seeing... The 'Net Test' isn't talking directly to the STO Servers, its talking to a diagnostic server that happens to be located on the same end-point network. The results still suggest that there is a connection quality issue involved here...

(And sorry for the delayed response, I've been busy grinding for Doffs & Dilithium this afternoon...)
Ya know what Grouchyotaku, I'm not buying all that. In fact...and this is only partially directed towards you...'cause I damned well know that you maths and techy folk speak a different language and interpret language in a manner differently from myself and most folk.

So, kindly refer to this video clip here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPHuE5pDlEs before you respond, eh???

In other words...and that clip was, by the way meant more for the Devs and supposed PWE techs, by the way. Yet, please explain all this nonsense in terms we can understand, in order to rectify this problem???

Assume that we are ignorant. I have no qualms with admitting that I'm ignorant as to how to resolve this problem. So, PWEBranflakes, any Dev, any PWE tech or any seemingly knowledgeable person like Grouchyotaku...can ya please give us solutions or suggestions in English (or any language that's understandable beyond 'assumed suggestion')???!!!

P.S.- And I should add that I happen to be fluent in five languages...and semi-fluent in techy too, given that I once programmed in BASIC, FORTRAN and COBAL.
"Don't try to be a great man. Just be a man and let history make its own judgments." -Zefram Cochrane
methos71

Last edited by methos71; 08-21-2012 at 08:56 PM.
Career Officer
# 229
08-21-2012, 09:26 PM
Install complete, I fell asleep earlier, its late. So I will wipe Pando out, and shut down, Tomorrow morning I will see what happens. Night all

P.S. What does that youtube clip have to do with STO or our problems, I am not seein it, maybe its the tiredness.

Last edited by bannon3; 08-21-2012 at 09:31 PM.
Lt. Commander
# 230
08-21-2012, 09:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bannon3 View Post
Install complete, I fell asleep earlier, its late. So I will wipe Pando out, and shut down, Tomorrow morning I will see what happens. Night all
Hate to say it, but I'm guessing that's not gonna help ya at all. And why? Because I tried that nonsense last night.

That said, I did get another reply from PWE Tech Support earlier this evening, which didn't help at all, but I'll post it here anyhow, for the sake of posterity:

"Hi Player,

It might be related to cogentco as one of the network hops.

Your traceroutes look fine.

Are you able to login to your account in the game on a different computer or network ok?

Please see if this helps you at all, ans thank you for your patience while this issue is looked into.

1: Enable active javascript in IE.

And more detailed steps if you don't want to take the shorter method above:
(Provided by our infrastructure guys.)

Here are more detailed instructions on adding our launcher pages to your Trusted Sites. This is a good option for more advanced, security-conscious people because they can keep scripting blocked for all of the internet (except our lovely launchers and any other sites they trust.)

Open IE (7/8/9).
Tools -> Internet Options
Click “Security??? tab.
Click “Trusted Sites???. (The Green Checkmark icon)
Click “Sites??? button.
Temporarily uncheck the “Require server verification??? box.
Type http://launcher.startrekonline.com into the “Add this website to the zone??? field and click “Add???.
Type http://launcher.champions-online.com into the “Add this website to the zone??? field and click “Add???.
(If you desire, you can recheck the “server verification??? box now!)
Click the “Close??? button to close the Trusted Sites window.
Click “OK??? to close the IE Options Window.
Close all instances of IE.
Close all launcher instances and then restart any of our launchers.

Scripting is now disabled for any site you don’t trust, but all of our launcher features will work in both Champions and Star Trek Online."

Yep, tried that too and it didn't work. Yet, if that advice worked for any of ya' all, then please let us here...in the real world...know it, eh?
methos71