Captain
# 2801
01-29-2013, 02:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwebranflakes View Post
The issue appeared before the patch yesterday, so it's unrelated.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
From your perspective, right?

Branflakes, I respect all the hard you folks put into this game, and I have enjoyed virtually every other aspect of "Star Trek: Online". As someone who is sitting on the outside, the only thing I can verify is that this occurred after the patch and maintenance. I know you guys do not have a reason to lie; however, I just have a problem with seeing this as a coincidence.

If you guys can repeat this in-house, I just have this feeling it was cause in-house.

Last edited by linyive; 01-29-2013 at 02:45 PM.
Republic Veteran
# 2802
01-29-2013, 02:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwebranflakes View Post
The issue appeared before the patch yesterday, so it's unrelated.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
Before the patch was implemented, the game was working just fine.

Just sayin'..
Republic Veteran
# 2803
Quote:
Originally Posted by lolimpicard View Post
To me this looks like:
Cryptic didn't do anything yesterday, the network worked its thing out.
The whole diagnostic thing today is a sham to mask a plain repeat of the problem
They're doing nothing again.
Next time there will be an "emergency downtime" to address this - just another ruse for Cryptic not doing anything and the issue repeating itself.

Conspiracy.
This is why I love the forms, random nonsense that's just funny, and pointless like a sketch comedy show....but sad at the same time...but mostly funny.

Survivor of Romulus
# 2804
Quote:
Originally Posted by linyive View Post
From your perspective, right?

Branflakes, I respect all the hard you folks put into this game, and I have enjoyed virtually every other aspect of "Star Trek: Online". As someone who is sitting on the outside, the only thing I can verify is that this occurred after the patch and maintenance. I know you guys do not have a reason to lie; however, I just have a problem with seeing this as a coincidence.
I started having this problem 30 minutes before the maintenance downtime yesterday. I just assumed they started early, but the symptoms were exactly the same. And others claim to have been able to play right up to the scheduled downtime.

As hard as it can be to accept, correlation =/= causation.
Ensign
Im having the same problem, a popup say trying to update the launcher please be patient, tried to conect 1 and 2 times. then an error message is displayed saying unable to establish a conection to patch server. Please check your internet conection. If problem persists, please contact Tech Support. Its been doing this since 1600 yesterday and still doesn't work today.
Survivor of Romulus
# 2806
01-29-2013, 02:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayonettawiccan View Post
Before the patch was implemented, the game was working just fine.

Just sayin'..
For some people - just like the issue now.

Just sayin'...
Lieutenant
# 2807
01-29-2013, 02:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by linyive View Post
*shrugs*

Seriously, before the patch was applied yesterday, I had absolutely no problem with logging into the system. Everything ran smoothly. Once the system went down, I ran that darn test four times. I waited an entire day, so that I could sign into the game.

If Cryptic is able to repeat the issue in-house, the problem originated with code they implemented in-house.

I don't believe in coincidences.

Unfortunately this is kind of where the difficulty in interpretation comes into play.

Since the real problem is a bit of a tier 4 issue, its not easy to explain whats going on.

The majority of companies in the internet world cannot afford the network hardware required to power the games we play, so in order to facilitate it there is an outside vendor that provides and manages it. There is (nearly) no network issue that is not capable of being replicated, so the capability to repeat is unfortunately irrelevant.

If I had to speculate, the issue they're testing is whether or not the redundancy is now functioning properly or not. Last night shouldn't have happened - there should be at least n+1 redundancy for the hardware that failed, and we should have experienced a quick hiccup/disconnect when it switched over, but that is about it. So, either the redundancy check failed, the switch failed, the secondary/redundant copy wasn't configured fully, or both pieces were bad. Could have been a disconnected cable, could have been a bad heartbeat.

Given what I saw from my own tests last night, it seemed that the network device that was causing problems responded - so there is a good chance that it didn't switch over because the device was still "up" but was not fulfilling traffic needs. You would be surprised how often this happens.

Network admins and engineers are not cheap - its very rare that a gaming company, especially one as small as PWE, have them on staff directly. Moreso, its even rarer that a small company be able to afford (and actually have) the hardware itself - which, per piece, even the smaller ones are over 10k a piece. Couple that with maintenance and the annual salary, its really just a rock and a hard place.
Republic Veteran
# 2808
01-29-2013, 02:48 PM
This happend to me yesterday an hour before the patch, so I have no clue why people keep bringing up the patch.

Ensign
# 2809
01-29-2013, 02:48 PM
I think we all are just going to have to wait and let them work it out. I'm sure they are trying their best to fix it. I really don't see how having a go at them on here is going to solve anything.
Republic Veteran
# 2810
01-29-2013, 02:49 PM
And now its grabbed me as well. Had no problems at all yesterday after playing 10 hours or so, today had played about 3 hours and the game just went down and now I'm having this problem. Is it propagating? ::gasp:: Will it take down the whole intertubes?!?