Ensign
# 2811
01-29-2013, 02:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayonettawiccan View Post
As a SWTOR subscriber, the CS isn't any better there. There was a point last month were we could not buy Cartel Coins(their version of Zen) for over a week. They kept on blaming the customer when clearly it was over 90% of the community who could not use the shopping cart system there.
Is there any MMO that doesn't have the odd few days of downtime?

STO seems more supported than TOR is.
Lieutenant
# 2812
Quote:
Originally Posted by agentgreasy View Post
Unfortunately this is kind of where the difficulty in interpretation comes into play.

Since the real problem is a bit of a tier 4 issue, its not easy to explain whats going on.

The majority of companies in the internet world cannot afford the network hardware required to power the games we play, so in order to facilitate it there is an outside vendor that provides and manages it. There is (nearly) no network issue that is not capable of being replicated, so the capability to repeat is unfortunately irrelevant.

If I had to speculate, the issue they're testing is whether or not the redundancy is now functioning properly or not. Last night shouldn't have happened - there should be at least n+1 redundancy for the hardware that failed, and we should have experienced a quick hiccup/disconnect when it switched over, but that is about it. So, either the redundancy check failed, the switch failed, the secondary/redundant copy wasn't configured fully, or both pieces were bad. Could have been a disconnected cable, could have been a bad heartbeat.

Given what I saw from my own tests last night, it seemed that the network device that was causing problems responded - so there is a good chance that it didn't switch over because the device was still "up" but was not fulfilling traffic needs. You would be surprised how often this happens.

Network admins and engineers are not cheap - its very rare that a gaming company, especially one as small as PWE, have them on staff directly. Moreso, its even rarer that a small company be able to afford (and actually have) the hardware itself - which, per piece, even the smaller ones are over 10k a piece. Couple that with maintenance and the annual salary, its really just a rock and a hard place.
Thanks for the explanation there, it does start making sense. However, the fact that there has been ZERO communication from PWE's end (BranFlakes, are you listening?) about what is causing the issue, much less when it will be resolved, that's what's ticking most of us off in the first place.
A map of known space, circa 2405 <--- Note where Iconia is. It's nowhere near Starbase 39.
Ensign
# 2813
Well, I just started playing this game yesterday. I had a few issues starting the game, but after a quick youtube visit I got it figured out. Yesterday I enjoyed the game so much, I decided to buy the steam starter pack and possibly subscribe. Got up today clicked the game and the same issue everyone is having here, "unable to establish connection to patch server" etc. Included with all the complaints I see here, leaves me wondering if anyone should spend any money here at all!
Ensign
# 2814
01-29-2013, 02:50 PM
Who in their right mind runs invasive tests such as this, knowing it will likely cause major issues for people again, whilst the game is live? Surely tests such as these should have been carried out during a maintenance period. An emergency maintenance at least should have been called.

One other symptom I have noticed that I have not seen anyone else mention is I cannot browse the C-Store from within my browser whilst this is happening. Was the same last night.
Ensign
# 2815
Quote:
Originally Posted by cube1701 View Post
Is there any MMO that doesn't have the odd few days of downtime?

STO seems more supported than TOR is.
to be fair, i may be moaning but you do have a point here.

STO is rarely down, and im usually able to play with no problems. hopefully this is sorted soon, and that cryptic are trying their hardest to get it sorted quickly.
Lt. Commander
# 2816
Quote:
Originally Posted by agentgreasy View Post
Unfortunately this is kind of where the difficulty in interpretation comes into play.

Since the real problem is a bit of a tier 4 issue, its not easy to explain whats going on.

The majority of companies in the internet world cannot afford the network hardware required to power the games we play, so in order to facilitate it there is an outside vendor that provides and manages it. There is (nearly) no network issue that is not capable of being replicated, so the capability to repeat is unfortunately irrelevant.

If I had to speculate, the issue they're testing is whether or not the redundancy is now functioning properly or not. Last night shouldn't have happened - there should be at least n+1 redundancy for the hardware that failed, and we should have experienced a quick hiccup/disconnect when it switched over, but that is about it. So, either the redundancy check failed, the switch failed, the secondary/redundant copy wasn't configured fully, or both pieces were bad. Could have been a disconnected cable, could have been a bad heartbeat.

Given what I saw from my own tests last night, it seemed that the network device that was causing problems responded - so there is a good chance that it didn't switch over because the device was still "up" but was not fulfilling traffic needs. You would be surprised how often this happens.

Network admins and engineers are not cheap - its very rare that a gaming company, especially one as small as PWE, have them on staff directly. Moreso, its even rarer that a small company be able to afford (and actually have) the hardware itself - which, per piece, even the smaller ones are over 10k a piece. Couple that with maintenance and the annual salary, its really just a rock and a hard place.
So the duct tape and paper clips didnt work this time......damn
Ensign
# 2817
01-29-2013, 02:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by causalityeffect View Post
Its stands as a cruel indication that even Cryptic knows the playerbase has little faith in anything they say or promise. The real kicker is rubbing the customer nose in the fact OTHER players are not affected.

Yeah, thanks for telling me others can play while I cant for the second day in a row. Apparantly, Cryptic only really give a crap if a problem is serious enough to affect the ENTIRE community.
Otherwise, as long as some folks are buying lockboxes who cares ?
Yeah them saying that others aren't being affected does make it seem like they don't think its all that important. If everyone was affected then they would be putting more effort into it. Then again they probably don't have the resources to give it all the attention it needs. Who knows. I just know I won't be buying the lifetime membership I was going to buy.

Last edited by cyralyn; 01-29-2013 at 02:58 PM.
Commander
# 2818
01-29-2013, 02:52 PM
I started 10 launchers at once.. one got through to the "white screen"!

#Edit: Whooo, I got an Internet Explorer 404 page in the launcher!

He's dead, Jim.
Lieutenant
# 2819
01-29-2013, 02:52 PM
I am a subscriber to swtor, to eve, was to wow for a long time, and to a certain extent every other MMO at one point or another.

Running an MMO is impossible to be perfect at. Blizzard lost character accounts when migrating servers, EVE had years of network problems because single stations were so populated it was affecting the entire cluster. SWTOR has had downtime, bad patches... and the list goes on.

Running a game that is used world wide by a collective customer base that is in the hundreds of thousand into the same, single, cluster... is not easy, and it comes with some major pitfalls. The bigger they are the harder they fall.

Its not like an FPS where a server may have 32 players on it per server. When an MMO goes down, it affects everyone. The perspective is difficult to embrace, and it makes what is a typical problem on the internet seem all the more disastrous.
Republic Veteran
# 2820
01-29-2013, 02:53 PM
How dare cryptic keep you guys from the game you hate.