Commander
# 291
08-23-2012, 08:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bannon3 View Post
There is something funky going on with these sites and how certain browsers access them, I cant get into these forums on IE but Firefox is fine. Remember I had this problem in May before the whole account merge or account guard nonsense so I doubt thats it. I WISH WE COULD GET A COMMENT FROM A CRYPTIC EMPLOYEE!!! I would settle for a comment from the kid they sent to get coffee, just somebody for the love of God!

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...d.php?t=363871
Funny ya should mention the forum and browser funkiness. Despite the fact that I was last able to properly log into the game on 8/12 and didn't try logging again until 8/17; I was still checking these forums on a daily basis.

And, on one of those days, between last Sunday and last Friday (either last Tuesday or Wednesday methinks), I did notice that suddenly my usual Chrome bookmark to this forum stopped working altogether. Tried it then on IE and it still wouldn't connect.

I had to use Google search to find the latest site address, indicating that the address for this forum had somehow changed, without my knowingly doing a thing.

Might have something to do with the root of this whole problem.

Well, just off the phone with my pal and we won't be able to do more comparative troubleshooting until early tomorrow morning. I was lucky enough to get him to commit to some more troubleshooting in the A.M., before he and his family make their way to 'Star Wars Celebration'. After that, no more comparative analysis until at least Monday here.

Not that there's much left to do. I only got three other areas to extensively compare with him. At that point, I'm pretty sure that option of troubleshooting will have been exhausted.
"Don't try to be a great man. Just be a man and let history make its own judgments." -Zefram Cochrane
Vice-Admiral Methos Corinthian
methos71
Commander
# 292
08-23-2012, 08:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by grouchyotaku View Post
Hard to say... You're making it to same gateway as my Trace Route did, but.... (it almost seems like your ISP is throttling the connection... Now, if they were actually throttling the connection, would you expect them to tell you this???)
Grouchy, do I have to pull out that Samuel L. Jackson Youtube clip again??!! Could you kindly and specifically speculate on why my ISP would be "throttling my connection" or why they wouldn't tell me as much?

Update:: Never mind Grouchy, I did some digging about this 'connection throttling' nonsense and it's likely just that...nonsense that's not at all germane to this problem . And we've lost enough time and patience in dealing with nonsense. So, kindly, in replying to any tech questions Grouchy, please bear in mind that while some, like myself, are multi-lingual (English, Spanish, French, Italian and Portuguese here), the bulk of us likely don't speak 'Techy' or 'Silicon Valley'. Explicit, non-technical, plain English would do nicely, if ya care to contribute, please.
"Don't try to be a great man. Just be a man and let history make its own judgments." -Zefram Cochrane
methos71

Last edited by methos71; 08-23-2012 at 08:37 PM.
Ensign
# 293
08-23-2012, 08:45 PM
If it's of any help I cannot pull up the crypticstudios.com page on either my mac or my pc in any browser. It's very weird that I cannot even pull up their site.
Career Officer
# 294
08-23-2012, 08:57 PM
With all this uninstalling and re installing going on - have you guys checked to see if your conducting proper registry key removal? As well as things like deleting old user app data, which may be set to hidden. A pain in the head I know.
nynik | Join Date: Dec 2009
<Dev> Oaks@dstahl: *checks for CBS listening devices in the office*
Lieutenant
# 295
08-23-2012, 09:23 PM
Quote:
Hello ,

Please contact your Internet Service Provider about this issue. It may be a good idea to request that your IP traffic be routed through an alternate Domain Name Server (DNS).

If the issue persists, please let us know.

---------------------------
Customer Support
Perfect World Entertainment

Basically they just told me to go away and quit bothering them so I will, good luck guys I hope you are able to connect soon.
Haters hate what they can't do - which is everything outside of hatin' - Kevin Smith
Commander
# 296
08-23-2012, 09:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nynik View Post
With all this uninstalling and re installing going on - have you guys checked to see if your conducting proper registry key removal? As well as things like deleting old user app data, which may be set to hidden. A pain in the head I know.
Nynik, what steps or program might you recommend for cleaning one's registry? I haven't had to deal with any of that nonsense in nearly a year. I paid pros (genuine and well respected local professionals, not 'Geek Squad'/'Best Buy' dolts) to rectify and bring my system back to life, last December. I have literally not had a single PC related issue since they worked my system over last December, until this bug here reared its ugly head to me last Friday morning.

In fact, due to the apparent and inarticulate incompetence of PWE's Tech folk (with their dirge of useless form responses), I've been left to trouble-shoot this problem on my own. And, amidst all my troubleshooting and tweaking, I fear I have perhaps inadvertently caused more harm to my system than healed any existing issues, within the past week.

An example being my download and subsequent use of 'CCleaner' earlier today. It mysteriously zapped about 2.5GB of who knows what. Thankfully no apparent fallout from that...yet.

So, how might you suggest I go about getting rid of any and all references to STO, in my registry, if I do another uninstall/reinstall?

Quote:
Originally Posted by macfelly View Post
Basically they just told me to go away and quit bothering them so I will, good luck guys I hope you are able to connect soon.
Yeah Macfelly, if you read some of my more recent posts in this thread, then you would have seen that I too received the same message from PWE Tech Support. Called my ISP. Spent roughly two hours on the phone with them before I got their highest level tech, who was based in my home town. He walked me through changing Domain Name Servers. And, as I'm sure you've already discovered, that made no difference at all in resolving this issue.
methos71
Survivor of Romulus
# 297
08-23-2012, 11:56 PM
Tried changing the DNS, tried doing the compatibility mode, nothing is working. I dont want to give up but is it worth this much hassle for a game. Cryptic/PWE dont care about a few players losing connectivity to the game they just see 99.7% of the player base are fine and still spending

I really want to get back in game but I'm thinking they're just assuming the issue is our end now I have completely wiped a laptop, downloaded from a torrent and theres nothing but my internet security, which has everything for sto set to open access and still nothing. I'm using the laptop as a test bed for new things we come up with.

Original Join Date May 2009 - Real 1000 Day Veteran
Career Officer
# 298
08-24-2012, 12:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by methos71 View Post
Funny ya should mention the forum and browser funkiness. Despite the fact that I was last able to properly log into the game on 8/12 and didn't try logging again until 8/17; I was still checking these forums on a daily basis.

And, on one of those days, between last Sunday and last Friday (either last Tuesday or Wednesday methinks), I did notice that suddenly my usual Chrome bookmark to this forum stopped working altogether. Tried it then on IE and it still wouldn't connect.

I had to use Google search to find the latest site address, indicating that the address for this forum had somehow changed, without my knowingly doing a thing.

Might have something to do with the root of this whole problem.
If the Physical IP Address has changed, then a simple flush of the DNS cache would solve the problem... ( from a Command Prompt window, enter 'ipconfig /flushdns' though some versions of windows require Admin rights for this to work)

Now its known that some Network providers with limited bandwidth, want to reserve their resource for high paying business contracts (usually with a quality of service guarantee) and discourage 'trivial' uses of valuable bandwidth (which includes Internet MMORPG) Comcast itself had a long history of trying to throttle Bit-Torrent use (which competes against their Cable content) while constantly denying they were doing so. And their attempts to hide their throttling resulted in connection quality issues playing MMRPG games, including STO. This didn't stop until the FCC ordered them to do so as part of the requirements for their proposed merger of the NBC Television network. Since then, Comcast high-speed Internet has been problem free, as Comcast wouldn't want something to happen that could endanger the ongoing NBC merger.

So you have to keep a open mind that cause of your issue could be ISP throttling. And of course they wouldn't tell you about it, for fear of adding credence to the various Open Network Initiatives that is being pushed by a certain political party in Washington... As these things have occurred in the past. And as long as its not outlawed, will happen again in the future...

Last edited by grouchyotaku; 08-24-2012 at 01:02 AM.
Career Officer
# 299
08-24-2012, 02:23 AM
Hate to put my name in this hat...however...after successfully downloading today's patch and logging in to accept and resend my doff's back out on duty...I logged off and played swtor for a bit...when I came back and tried to log back in. I get the same Launcher error and my browser was unable to connect to STO or CO's websites. I actually got to CO's website off of a link on the CO-WIKI and from there used PWI's drop menu to reach STO.....
Ensign
# 300
08-24-2012, 03:18 AM
I've hit the same problem. Seems like a networking issue, but such a range of users having the problem, I doubt it is at the users end. Seems like something triggering a firewall response at STO (or their data-center ISP), possibly their gateway is blocking users or dropping overloaded packets by IP and seems to die after sprintlink.net, I assume that's where their servers are at.

Doubt it's local ISP,
startrekonline.com (208.95.185.44) and secure.crypticstudios.com (208.95.185.60) are on the same network, perfectworld seems on a different network. This suggests gear problem and they either know about it, or are in denial (can't say I blame them, 95% of issues are users).

If it's the case of IP block, a router reset may help if you get a new IP from the pool, unless they block by pool. Unfortunately I can't test this.

Tracing route to secure.crypticstudios.com [208.95.185.60]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 44 ms 99 ms 99 ms local IP (removed by me)
2 11 ms 11 ms 11 ms local IP (removed by me)
3 13 ms 11 ms 11 ms p69.pool-82.callplus.net.nz [202.180.82.69]
4 11 ms 11 ms 11 ms vlan7-cpcak3-s1.tranzpeer.net [202.180.81.49]
5 11 ms 11 ms 25 ms x7-1-0-101.akbr5.global-gateway.net.nz [202.50.234.61]
6 12 ms 12 ms 12 ms xe3-1-0.tkbr9.global-gateway.net.nz [202.50.232.74]
7 137 ms 135 ms 135 ms ae2-3.labr5.global-gateway.net.nz [203.96.120.142]
8 136 ms 143 ms 138 ms ae0-3.lebr6.global-gateway.net.nz [203.96.120.86]
9 137 ms 140 ms 141 ms ae0-3.lebr6.global-gateway.net.nz [203.96.120.86]
10 138 ms 141 ms 138 ms sl-crs1-ria-0-3-2-0.sprintlink.net [144.232.24.42]
11 142 ms 142 ms 145 ms sl-crs1-stk-0-11-2-0.sprintlink.net [144.232.25.241]
12 172 ms 172 ms 172 ms p4-0.sprint.mlpsca01.us.bb.verio.net [144.232.8.166]
13 176 ms 176 ms 176 ms sl-crs2-oro-.sprintlink.net [144.232.1.3]
14 179 ms 179 ms 179 ms sl-crs2-oro-.sprintlink.net [144.232.1.3]