Commander
# 311
08-24-2012, 11:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bannon3 View Post
Methos, did you call that number? If so what happened you never updated.
No Bannon3, I haven't called that Cryptic phone number as yet. Honestly not sure of what good it might do really. From everything I've gathered about this problem, it's happened repeatedly since sometime in 2010, across a spectrum of PWE's online games. Pretty much the exact same login/patch updater problem, periodically effecting PWE games, usually after a new patch has been issued or shortly before then. Yet, I don't think that all of PWE's games are also Cryptic games, are they?

Hence, I'm not sure what calling Cryptic might do to help. Yet, if anyone else wants to call 'em, per Captainepi, that number is 408-399-1969.

Quote:
I was going to do the same thing, start a new ticket reference my support and say I demand to speak to a supervisor or someone in charge there, however their hours are Mon-Fri, so it would be ignored over the weekend. I will wait till Mon, how can a 24/7 game only have support 5 days a week for 10 hrs a day or something?
Yeah, that's why I made sure to email them early this morning, before they opened up, while waiting for my pal to call for the last round of system settings comparison. With any luck, someone at a higher level is already working on the problem and it'll get resolved by the end of their workday. Again, not holding my breath on that one.

By the way, system settings comparison with my friend didn't seem to turn up anything. I jotted down a list of minor differences (but I suspect they're all inconsequential). I'll check all the items on that list anyhow.

On another track, I'm eager to try another unistall, but this time I want to make absolutely sure that any reference to STO has been wiped from my registry, before I reinstall again. Anyone have any idea on how best to do that?
"Don't try to be a great man. Just be a man and let history make its own judgments." -Zefram Cochrane
Vice-Admiral Methos Corinthian
methos71

Last edited by methos71; 08-24-2012 at 12:04 PM.
Ensign
# 312
08-24-2012, 12:03 PM
short status update:
i have been droped out of the game once (server not responding) but i can reconnect and everything seems fine so far...

i have not rebooted my pc since but i doubt that will crash sto again

however, i will report tomorrow whether everything is still working properly or not.

i wish, i know what fixed it for me (so far) so i could tell you guys...

@methos71:
http://www.articleworld.org/index.ph...stry_leftovers
is a very crude methode and you have to know, what you are looking for. you can track all changes made to the registry during the installation of a program like
http://www.raymond.cc/blog/tracking-...re-in-windows/

i have _NOT_ tested this and only overread the articles, so please read hem carefully and decide for yourself if this is what you need to do...

Last edited by ncc53702; 08-24-2012 at 12:09 PM.
Career Officer
# 313
08-24-2012, 12:04 PM
I wonder, of the ones that are able to connect, what is the IP# address that is being giving to those, if there is a bad DNS entry being propagated continuously. A round-about-fix could be to be changing the Hosts file. But thats ONLY if the IP# number of a working instance and non-working instance has different IP#s. If they are the same, hosts file wouldn't work.
Ensign
# 314
08-24-2012, 12:11 PM
C:\Users\vel>ping patchserver.crypticstudios.com

Ping wird ausgef?hrt f?r patchserver.crypticstudios.com [208.95.185.41] mit 32 B
ytes Daten:
Antwort von 208.95.185.41: Bytes=32 Zeit=121ms TTL=49
Antwort von 208.95.185.41: Bytes=32 Zeit=119ms TTL=49

Ping-Statistik f?r 208.95.185.41:
Pakete: Gesendet = 2, Empfangen = 2, Verloren = 0
(0% Verlust),
Ca. Zeitangaben in Millisek.:
Minimum = 119ms, Maximum = 121ms, Mittelwert = 120ms
STRG-C
^C
C:\Users\vel>

still the same as in my tracert...
Commander
# 315
08-24-2012, 12:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncc53702 View Post
short status update:
i have been droped out of the game once (server not responding) but i can reconnect and everything seems fine so far...

i have not rebooted my pc since but i doubt that will crash sto again

however, i will report tomorrow whether everything is still working properly or not.

i wish, i know what fixed it for me (so far) so i could tell you guys...

@methos71:
http://www.articleworld.org/index.ph...stry_leftovers
is a very crude methode and you have to know, what you are looking for. you can track all changes made to the registry during the installation of a program like
http://www.raymond.cc/blog/tracking-...re-in-windows/

i have _NOT_ tested this and only overread the articles, so please read hem carefully and decide for yourself if this is what you need to do...
Thanks for the heads up NCC53702! I actually just poked around in 'CCleaner' and it has a registry cleaning function. I just did two scans, went for broke, and zapped all the stuff it told me was useless in my registry. Hopefully that won't cause further problems.
"Don't try to be a great man. Just be a man and let history make its own judgments." -Zefram Cochrane
methos71
Career Officer
# 316
08-24-2012, 12:38 PM
The registry is like an engine carburetor, you tweak 1 thing wrong and its all over. All I did was go in and wipe out any folder that said Perfect World or Cryptic Studios. So I have tried the registry trick, I think we are running in circles. Thew poster who restored his whole system cant get in either so that should tell us all the installs and uninstalls and registry edits are useless. The problem is with Cryptic or PWE. Ack! Plus it seems support has given up on me again. No word from them since yesterday when I said their solution was useless.

Lets get this thread to 100 Pages!
Ensign
# 317
08-24-2012, 01:10 PM
Damnit, been over an hour of this crap.
Commander
# 318
08-24-2012, 01:11 PM
Quote:
The registry is like an engine carburetor, you tweak 1 thing wrong and its all over. All I did was go in and wipe out any folder that said Perfect World or Cryptic Studios. So I have tried the registry trick, I think we are running in circles. Thew poster who restored his whole system cant get in either so that should tell us all the installs and uninstalls and registry edits are useless. The problem is with Cryptic or PWE. Ack! Plus it seems support has given up on me again. No word from them since yesterday when I said their solution was useless.

Lets get this thread to 100 Pages!
Bannon3 man, we're starting to think alike!!! Before running 'CCleaner' and doing another uninstall and reinstall, I too thought of that dude who had posted here, stating that he had done a complete format and restore of his system, to no avail.

'CCleaner' did find some references to Cryptic, Pando MB and STO, after I unistalled the game entirely again. I then restarted my system and ran 'CCleaner' again (both times clearing out not only the registry but anything and everything else that was safe to zap), just to make sure everything had been wiped prior to a reinstall. Reinstalled the game (from the torrent I downloaded night before last). Still the same damned bug.

So, yeah, pretty convinced it's not my system at this point. And thankfully, despite 'CCleaner', my 'carburetor', along with the rest of my rig, seems to be running fine.

I wouldn't give up hope on PWE support as yet Bannon3. They've written back to me three or four times now, since I first filed a ticket. And sometimes a day or two passed between responses. I should note that, beyond filing my initial ticket, I have responded to them via my Hotmail's 'reply' button, within the emails PWE has sent me. Glad that works too, 'cause I can't seem to login to their support page at all now.

Unless there's another response from PWE by this evening, I suspect we won't hear back from them until Monday. Just continue being persistent all!
methos71
Survivor of Romulus
# 319
08-24-2012, 02:52 PM
Yeah the complete format and reinstall doesn't do jack but make it a tad faster at making you want to scream in Klingon at the please be patient bit. The laptop needed wiping so wasn't all bad news. It's nothing to do with our machines or ISP's it's on there end.

I'm awaiting a mail back from my mail telling them all I've done and referencing this thread to stop them giving me cut and paste fixes I listed all the posted ones. Saying do not ask me to.....

Oh well I'm hopeful they'll do something guys but until it hits a wider audience we're the echo.

I can't help but think this says is systemic and will spread slowly until fixed.

DD

Original Join Date May 2009 - Real 1000 Day Veteran
Ensign
# 320
08-24-2012, 02:55 PM
Interestingly it connected today. And tracert gave me a very different path. Going through cogentco. Thats suggests that my issue was dns cached at ISP(s). I was a bit tried and couldn't be bothered looking at who in the chain was caching the DNS. My other thought was a faulty load balancer sorting by IP or mac address. Good luck to the rest of you.

In future we may want to nslookup and see who's dropping the ball. Interesting I checked the IP with several online nslookups yesterday and they gave me same results. I wonder if they move data centers in a rush?