Career Officer
# 321
08-24-2012, 03:18 PM
[quote=averydd;5441991 I can't help but think this is systemic and will spread slowly until fixed. DD[/QUOTE]

This has been my thought from the beginning, seems more and more people come down with the problem everyday and probably only a small few come to the forums, it could be far more. So I guess we wait for another 6 months until the cascade spreads to enough players and they have 1/4 of their base getting through I think I will go eat some Chinese food and forget my troubles here.
Career Officer
# 322
08-24-2012, 03:21 PM
Thought I would add this reply, I couldnt beleve it THE SAME SOLUTION THEY HAVE ASKED FOR 10 TIMES!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Hello again,

Thank you very much for the example. We are currently aware of the issue that you have described and are investigating any possible cause.

If available, please update this ticket with the results of your own traceroute scan. Please take a screenshot of the results and attach it here.

To run a Traceroute:
1. Click on "Start"
2. Click on "Run"
3. Vista and 7 users need to go to "Start" then "Start Search"
4. Type "cmd" into the dialog box and press Enter.
5. In the window that opens type "tracert patchserver.crypticstudios.com"
6. Check the speed listed on the return

If this is not an option, please keep an eye on the forums and the patch notes for more information about this issue as our investigation continues.

Kind regards,
GM Heartbreaker

LMAO. We start back at the tracert again. Sigh. Wheres my food? lol

Then they will send me a msg back saying the image didnt go through and could I please attach the results, then they wont get that and ask that I past the notes then they will say they are incomplete cause I only get 10 lines for some reason.
Lt. Commander
# 323
08-24-2012, 04:03 PM
More new news ladies and gents!!! And Bannon3, the request PWE made of you may well be going somewhere, at long last!! I just got finished replying to the second email that PWE Tech Support had sent me today. Here's what they sent, about 40 minutes or so ago:

"Response Via Email (GM) 08/24/2012 02:21 PM
Hello ,

Our engineers are still investigating the issue and have asked for some additional information.

1. Your IP address (you can find this by going to www.ipchicken.com):
2. Are you able to successfully load http://support.crypticstudios.com? If not, please provide some details as to what happens when you attempt to load the page.
3. Please run a tracert to http://support.crypticstudios.com and reply with the full results.

Thanks again for your patience.

---------------------------
Customer Support
Perfect World Entertainment"

So, let's all hope that their "engineers' are miracle workers like Montgomery Scott, so we can all kiss this problem bye bye and get back to playing!!!

Update:Just got this reply from PWE, while I had been writing this post. It reads:

" Response Via Email (GM) 08/24/2012 04:03 PM
Hello ,

Thank you for the additional details. I have passed this information to our engineers who will continue to investigate the issue.

---------------------------
Customer Support
Perfect World Entertainment"

Third email from them today!!! Let's hope momentum is on our side this time around!
"Don't try to be a great man. Just be a man and let history make its own judgments." -Zefram Cochrane
Vice-Admiral Methos Corinthian
methos71

Last edited by methos71; 08-24-2012 at 04:06 PM.
Career Officer
# 324
08-24-2012, 05:28 PM
Well they must really like you, I have only heard once. At least someone is giving them the data and I can think of no one better than you, I am not the Crusader I was when this issue began, back then I would have done anything to solve this. Now I want it resolved but I am tired of the fight, its been a long 3 months when we get back in I wont be able to leave the game, I will be too afraid to close it. LOL Good work methos my friend!

I am really hoping this is something simple thats been right under their noses the whole time but without any tickets or data it just went unnoticed. Puhlleeeaze God!! lol
Lt. Commander
# 325
08-24-2012, 05:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bannon3 View Post
Well they must really like you, I have only heard once. At least someone is giving them the data and I can think of no one better than you, I am not the Crusader I was when this issue began, back then I would have done anything to solve this. Now I want it resolved but I am tired of the fight, its been a long 3 months when we get back in I wont be able to leave the game, I will be too afraid to close it. LOL Good work methos my friend!

I am really hoping this is something simple thats been right under their noses the whole time but without any tickets or data it just went unnoticed. Puhlleeeaze God!! lol
Well no need to thank me for "good work" yet Bannon3. Hopefully we can all thank each other when all this is happily over and done with. What I found encouraging about the last three responses I got from PWE tech is that, in all of the exhaustive digging I've done online, across several PWE game forums for the past week, I never saw responses like the one I received today. The last two response I most definitely hadn't seen elsewhere online.

So, hopefully we're not simply getting lip service this go around. And with the increase in people posting in this thread, as well the number of other similar threads that have popped up, it really does seem as though this problem has been spreading.

For my part, when and if this does get resolved on Cryptic/PWE's end, I really, really, really want to know what caused this problem. I have literally been troubleshooting this problem every day since last Friday, for at least a few hours a day, to no avail.

Just this morning, when I did the last bit of system settings comparisons with my pal, I jotted down 32 varying items. Then, later this afternoon, I spent a while researching each and every single one of those variables, to determine if one of 'em might be at the root of this problem. And then, while doing that, it occurred to me that I ought to check msconfig settings with my pal too, if this isn't resolved by the time he gets back from 'Star Wars Celebration'.

So yeah, whether it's something simple or complicated, I really want to know what it is, so we're all better prepared if it should happen again.
"Don't try to be a great man. Just be a man and let history make its own judgments." -Zefram Cochrane
methos71
Career Officer
# 326
08-24-2012, 06:34 PM
Well I wouldnt have had the patience to dig and search across forums, I do however check in on anything new that relates to server or login issues and if it looks similar I direct them here so we can grow this thread into a juggernaut that will get attention and eventually resolution. When we get back in, I am being optimistic here, we will have to meet at ESD for a drink!
Career Officer
# 327
08-24-2012, 06:56 PM
Did I call it or did I call it? LMAO

Hello again,

I'm terribly sorry, however the file was discarded by our system for an unknown reason.

However, if I understand correctly (and following the example you provided), you get through a few hops and then a bunch of "* * * Request timed out. " errors, correct?

I will forward the information to our investigation team for you. I sincerely apologize for any inconvenience that the issue may have caused. Please keep an eye on the forums and patch notes for any news moving forward.

Please let us know if anything changes on your end!

Kind regards,
GM Heartbreaker

Should I laugh or cry?

Looking on steam found a game called Universe Sandbox looks amazing, i recommend looking into it to kill some time http://universesandbox.com/
Ensign
# 328
08-24-2012, 07:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aamche View Post
Interestingly it connected today. And tracert gave me a very different path. Going through cogentco. Thats suggests that my issue was dns cached at ISP(s). I was a bit tried and couldn't be bothered looking at who in the chain was caching the DNS. My other thought was a faulty load balancer sorting by IP or mac address. Good luck to the rest of you.

In future we may want to nslookup and see who's dropping the ball. Interesting I checked the IP with several online nslookups yesterday and they gave me same results. I wonder if they move data centers in a rush?
Same here. 14 hours ago, I could not connect. I never rebooted my machine, never shut down my router, etc. Because I KNEW the problem was not on my end.

With round-robin DNSing, you have multiple physical machines all handling requests to a single domain name. For example, www.crypticstudios.com may route to a totally different numeric IP for 10 different people, if cryptic has the DNS entry for www.crypticstudios.com set to round-robin and has 10 different IPs associated with that domain.

So if one of those 10 physical servers was to fail somehow, 1/10th of the users going to that website will not be able to connect. And that certainly seems like what happened here. It would explain why some people were able to connect, and others were not able to connect. The patch server's domain name is probably set to round-robin across quite a few IP address/physical machines. And one of those machines simply failed.

It's unfortunate that this company doesn't have alarms set for such events. When I ran my hosting company for 6 years, I was pitifully small compared to a company like cryptic. Even though I was small, and had only a few hundred clients, I STILL had a system set up so that if any one of my servers crashed, I would be immediately notified via my cell phone.

Servers do crash. That's simply a fact of life. But a professional company will not only expect that this will happen, but SHOULD have adequate measures in place so that the appropriate people are notified IMMEDIATELY when the crash happens. The technicians at cryptic should not rely on feedback from end-users to determine when one of their machines fail. They should quite literally know about it moments after it happens.
Commander
# 329
08-24-2012, 08:01 PM
Tossing my hat into the ring. I'm having the same issues since the last patch. Cant even support a ticket thru the game as it won't stay logged in long enough now.

Hey Grouchy, yer fleetmate is in trouble here! LOL

Been trying everything everyone else has tried short of shooting the PC with my shotgun.

Tracing route to patchserver.crypticstudios.com [208.95.185.41]
over a maximum of 30 hops:
<snip>
1 1 ms <1 ms 1 ms 192.168.1.254
2 28 ms 24 ms 26 ms 108-72-196-2.lightspeed.wepbfl.sbcglobal.net [10
8.72.196.2]
3 35 ms 27 ms 27 ms 99.128.141.32
4 * * * Request timed out.
5 * * * Request timed out.
6 28 ms 27 ms 27 ms 70.159.201.246
7 29 ms 31 ms 31 ms 12.81.8.88
8 28 ms 28 ms 27 ms 12.81.8.63
9 33 ms 34 ms 33 ms 74.175.192.166
10 47 ms 47 ms 48 ms cr81.fldfl.ip.att.net [12.122.106.94]
11 47 ms 47 ms 47 ms cr2.ormfl.ip.att.net [12.122.1.45]
12 47 ms 47 ms 48 ms cr1.attga.ip.att.net [12.122.5.142]
13 46 ms 44 ms 63 ms attga02jt.ip.att.net [12.123.22.25]
14 61 ms 59 ms 59 ms 192.205.36.238
15 61 ms 61 ms 61 ms te0-3-0-3.ccr21.atl01.atlas.cogentco.com [154.54
.83.181]
16 60 ms 60 ms 60 ms te0-1-0-6.ccr21.dca01.atlas.cogentco.com [154.54
.24.153]
17 65 ms 67 ms 65 ms te0-1-0-3.ccr21.jfk02.atlas.cogentco.com [154.54
.5.245]
18 70 ms 72 ms 72 ms te0-2-0-1.ccr22.bos01.atlas.cogentco.com [154.54
.44.94]
19 73 ms 71 ms 71 ms te3-2.ccr01.bos06.atlas.cogentco.com [154.54.46.
130]
20 75 ms 72 ms 71 ms 38.111.40.114
21 71 ms 71 ms 72 ms 208.95.185.41

Trace complete.

Here is where things get bad:

contacting nettest server..
Local IP: <snip>
Ping: 136.6 msec
Port: 80: 157 KB/sec 10 KB/sec 176 KB/sec 500
Port: 80: 375 KB/sec 25 KB/sec 448 KB/sec 500
Port: 443:

and then it hangs...

edit: can't submit a ticket online either as the support site doesn't recognize my login. Time to start spamming PWE Facebook and Twitter where the public can see the crappy support PWE gives.
Prime Minister Nayrok: Do not relax your security for an instant, Captain. He is extremely violent, and very cunning, as you already know.
Jean-Luc Picard: A matter of internal security: the age-old cry of the oppressor. The Hunted [3.11]

Last edited by defcon1776; 08-24-2012 at 08:10 PM.
Lt. Commander
# 330
08-24-2012, 08:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bannon3 View Post
The quoted post has been edited to remove content which violates the Perfect World Entertainment Community Rules and Policies . ~TrailTurtle
Your call was spot on Bannon3! I wouldn't laugh or cry really, as it's evidently clear that they actually did read the message you sent to them. Which is definitely a step up from the form letter replies we had been receiving previously. And, despite the fact that I suspect there's going to be no movement on a solution until Monday (due to the PWE Tech folk likely having the weekend off), I am encouraged that there does, at last, seem to be some genuine activity on their part in trying to resolve this issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainepi View Post
Same here. 14 hours ago, I could not connect. I never rebooted my machine, never shut down my router, etc. Because I KNEW the problem was not on my end.

With round-robin DNSing, you have multiple physical machines all handling requests to a single domain name. For example, www.crypticstudios.com may route to a totally different numeric IP for 10 different people, if cryptic has the DNS entry for www.crypticstudios.com set to round-robin and has 10 different IPs associated with that domain.

So if one of those 10 physical servers was to fail somehow, 1/10th of the users going to that website will not be able to connect. And that certainly seems like what happened here. It would explain why some people were able to connect, and others were not able to connect. The patch server's domain name is probably set to round-robin across quite a few IP address/physical machines. And one of those machines simply failed.

It's unfortunate that this company doesn't have alarms set for such events. When I ran my hosting company for 6 years, I was pitifully small compared to a company like cryptic. Even though I was small, and had only a few hundred clients, I STILL had a system set up so that if any one of my servers crashed, I would be immediately notified via my cell phone.

Servers do crash. That's simply a fact of life. But a professional company will not only expect that this will happen, but SHOULD have adequate measures in place so that the appropriate people are notified IMMEDIATELY when the crash happens. The technicians at cryptic should not rely on feedback from end-users to determine when one of their machines fail. They should quite literally know about it moments after it happens.
Captainepi, this is the most logical proposition I've read all week for what's very likely the cause of this problem. Thank you kindly for sharing that with us!
methos71

Last edited by trailturtle; 08-30-2012 at 10:51 PM.