Captain
# 361
08-27-2012, 03:11 AM
I sort of had a related problem to this. I entered my password and it said 'loading launcher' for about, oh, ten minutes before finally going through. THen when I hit launch, it sat around for another five minutes doing nothing. I'm thinking this is something on their end.
Survivor of Romulus
# 362
08-27-2012, 09:10 AM
Well I just disconnected my router overnight and whilst I was at work and it still gave me the same IP address, so much for dynamic lol. Oh well seems like after and over 2 weeks still no closer to meeting at DS9 to listen to Morn's amazingly long stories

Original Join Date May 2009 - Real 1000 Day Veteran
Commander
# 363 Pando Media Booster
08-27-2012, 01:32 PM
Cryptic uses Pando Media Booster,a P2P program to distribute patches. I uninstalled it, killed it from running processes and it seemed to work for me. 4 hours now and still ok.

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...d.php?t=341841
Prime Minister Nayrok: Do not relax your security for an instant, Captain. He is extremely violent, and very cunning, as you already know.
Jean-Luc Picard: A matter of internal security: the age-old cry of the oppressor. The Hunted [3.11]
Commander
# 364
08-27-2012, 10:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by averydd View Post
Well I just disconnected my router overnight and whilst I was at work and it still gave me the same IP address, so much for dynamic lol. Oh well seems like after and over 2 weeks still no closer to meeting at DS9 to listen to Morn's amazingly long stories
Success at last ladies and gents!!!! I'm currently logged into the game, as I type this and absolutely everything seems to be in order and running smoothly!

Averydd, make sure to leave your router and cable modem disconnected for 8 to 12 hours at least, ideally during peak internet traffic times in your immediate area (say from 4PM until 12AM). That should increase the likelihood of someone picking up the IP address that you've released. I had my cable modem completely disconnected from around 5:45AM yesterday, until about 1:00AM today. Oh and before disconnecting my cable modem, I went into 'CMD' and typed 'ipconfig/release' before disconnecting the cable modem. Thankfully gave me a new IP address and allowed me to patch and play now.

I'm still going to reply to PWE Tech tomorrow, not only to report my solution, but also ask why this happened to begin with. It's clearly been a persistent problem since 2010 and after all the frakkin' time and trouble I've put myself through to resolve this, I very much want to know why this happened at all.

Averydd, Bannon3, Escapy (you're the genius who clued me to leaving my modem disconnected for nearly a day, to get another IP and I thank you especially!) and any one else with whom I've bantered throughout this ordeal, we all ought to set a time and place to meet at Club 47 or Quarks for drinks on me (I did actually make some maxi-big sales while I was gone!) and friending each other in-game.

I'll continue checking in on this thread and wish you all luck in getting back in!
"Don't try to be a great man. Just be a man and let history make its own judgments." -Zefram Cochrane
Vice-Admiral Methos Corinthian
methos71
Career Officer
# 365
08-28-2012, 05:02 AM
So 2 weeks + since last login, 3 months since game worked normally and even with the apparent flurry of tec interaction we are still nowhere it seems with no information. I dont know how much longer I will be hanging around at this point, I am losing my will and patience. Maybe the thing to do is to walk away and check back in a year and see what happens.
Ensign
# 366
08-28-2012, 06:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by escapay14 View Post
I was finally able to login and get everything working fine. In my case, apparently all that was needed to do was to get a new IP address from my ISP. If you leave your router & modem disconnected for more than 8 hrs it will usually force the ISP to give you a new IP address when you reconnect. Not sure if this will work for anyone else, but I thought I'd throw it out there as the solution to my problem in case. Good luck!

I would like to confirm this as a possible solution. I left my modem unplugged while I was at work and my girlfriend was asleep. Turned it back on as soon as I got home, released and renewed my IP through cmd, and the launcher loaded up. We'll see how things go after the patch loads.

Again, for those of you having this problem, this IS a working solution. Thank you escapay.
Commander
# 367
08-28-2012, 07:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bannon3 View Post
So 2 weeks + since last login, 3 months since game worked normally and even with the apparent flurry of tec interaction we are still nowhere it seems with no information. I dont know how much longer I will be hanging around at this point, I am losing my will and patience. Maybe the thing to do is to walk away and check back in a year and see what happens.
Bannon3, we've found the solution man! Just unplug your cable modem and router for at least 8 hours, in order to obtain a new IP address. And make sure that you unplug the modem and router, sometime close to the IP lease expiration time that stated in 'CMD'->'ipconfig/all'. Then stay unplugged until someone hopefully picks up your old IP. Before plugging your modem and router again, make sure to uninstall the game and then reinstall it. I just spent the past 9 hours or so in-game, without any problems at all.

What's more, I think I've figured out why this happened to begin with. The 'Account Guard' system is tied to your IP address. They even sent me another 'one time code', before I logged into my character and that email specifically mentioned that said code was tied to my IP. If your IP address changes, then I think that 'Account Guard' system whacks ya. It's pain in the tuckus for those of us with dynamic IP addresses though. If I'm gone for a number of days or even logged out for a few hours around the time my IP lease expires, I think this could potentially happen again.

Yet, at least now we can all log back in and play again Bannon3. Hope to see ya in-game soon man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirash1979 View Post
I would like to confirm this as a possible solution. I left my modem unplugged while I was at work and my girlfriend was asleep. Turned it back on as soon as I got home, released and renewed my IP through cmd, and the launcher loaded up. We'll see how things go after the patch loads.

Again, for those of you having this problem, this IS a working solution. Thank you escapay.
I second what ya said Kirash. This IS the solution to this problem, no ifs ands or buts. And the game seemed to run a whole lot smoother than before this mess started too.
"Don't try to be a great man. Just be a man and let history make its own judgments." -Zefram Cochrane
Vice-Admiral Methos Corinthian
methos71

Last edited by methos71; 08-28-2012 at 07:27 AM.
Ensign
# 368
08-28-2012, 07:27 AM
Hi all,

glad to hear that unplugging your router / modem / etc for longer than x hours seems to work! However, I really would like to know what PWE/Cryptic has to say about this.

are they kinda blocking certain ips from connecting to the update-server?

i don`t know how its handled over in the US but here you get a 24h forced disconnect after which you should get a new ip. most of the time. I am not quite sure but i think i had the problem only for ablout 24h... yes, i checked with my post on page 27 - about 24h...

so long...

vel

Last edited by ncc53702; 08-28-2012 at 07:46 AM.
Career Officer
# 369
08-28-2012, 07:59 AM
About 2-3 times now I've crashed and when opening launcher it says "patching..." and then hangs [my crash is after I had already downloaded whatever the patch was].

I found a workaround which is to open the Task Manager (Ctrl+Alt+Delete) and force quit the game's exe file.
Fleet holding costs | Accolade Points: 18020 (Fed Engineer), 16400 (KDF Tactical)
Subscribe to Accolade thread | Join channel Accolades | Idea: Mail Revamp
New on STOwiki: Spire projects | STO Timeline | Fed-KDF Disparity | upcoming content
Fed Fleet: Section 31 (level 20) | KDF Fleet: Klingon Intelligence (level 20)
Survivor of Romulus
# 370
08-28-2012, 11:10 AM
I just had my router off for over 24 hours and still no joy, my router still has 5 days left on the ip lease so its going be a ballache, I'm going be ringing my ISP threatening to leave if I dont get a new IP address, it might work.

I could see this working I've been asked for my IP address and a few other things just sent them to PWE so here's hoping it'll work.

Original Join Date May 2009 - Real 1000 Day Veteran