Lieutenant
# 371
08-28-2012, 12:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by phyrexianhero View Post
About 2-3 times now I've crashed and when opening launcher it says "patching..." and then hangs [my crash is after I had already downloaded whatever the patch was].

I found a workaround which is to open the Task Manager (Ctrl+Alt+Delete) and force quit the game's exe file.
This is not the problem we are experiencing, you were just having problems patching we can't even access the launcher.

As for turning my modem off it was off all day yesterday for my twelve hour workday and still didn't work when I got home since I have a new game to play now I'm not going to shut it down all day just because STO doesn't know how to configure their site properly.
Haters hate what they can't do - which is everything outside of hatin' - Kevin Smith
Survivor of Romulus
# 372
08-28-2012, 02:04 PM
Just tried bypassing my ip lease by direct connecting to the router in modem mode according to my isp it would override the router ip as my pc is asking for an ip address but no joy, tried doing same with an old router still no joy.

Edit, MY ISP just transferred me to a outsourced call centre and I got the dumbest f'ing idiot ever trying tell me it's nothing do with him and that I should wait til January because theres a maintenance issue around me that has nothing to do with this issue. I'm annoyed now!!!!!

Original Join Date May 2009 - Real 1000 Day Veteran

Last edited by averydd; 08-28-2012 at 02:07 PM.
Career Officer
# 373
08-28-2012, 02:34 PM
If the issue stems from only certain IP#s are not working, then I wonder if someone screwed up and did IP bans on cryptic's side (or a hop before cryptic)...

Last edited by eeb3; 08-28-2012 at 02:36 PM.
Survivor of Romulus
# 374
08-28-2012, 02:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by eeb3 View Post
If the issue stems from only certain IP#s are not working, then I wonder if someone screwed up and did IP bans on cryptic's side (or a hop before cryptic)...
Probably, its just annoying, I tried everything but I always seem to get the same borked IP, and Virgin media are a bunch of c*cks who say "oh well it's not long before you IP lease expires 6 days and that I should just wait it out and hope for the best"

Original Join Date May 2009 - Real 1000 Day Veteran
Commander
# 375
08-28-2012, 04:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by averydd View Post
I just had my router off for over 24 hours and still no joy, my router still has 5 days left on the ip lease so its going be a ballache, I'm going be ringing my ISP threatening to leave if I dont get a new IP address, it might work.

I could see this working I've been asked for my IP address and a few other things just sent them to PWE so here's hoping it'll work.
Averydd, I read all of your posts, but this quote of yours seemed the most germane to the problem at hand. For starters, I'm positively gobsmacked that your ISP has such lengthy IP address leases! Five days, for a supposed dynamic IP provider, just sounds utterly ridiculous.

It's funny that before this problem ever occurred, I really knew next to nothing about routers, as I've never had a router. Hell, last December, I bought myself a very well reviewed Android tablet and I was able to get an old router that my parents had discarded. Yet, I've never used the tablet, 'cause I've never bothered dabbling with that old router.

All that aside...and you may have tried this already...but I would suggest leaving the router out of the loop altogether, for starters. Just plug your PC directly into your cable modem, with your router disconnected, and then access 'CMD' and 'ipconfig/release'. Then completely unplug your cable modem (all cables unplugged) and leave it that way for at least 8 hours. When that time's up, check on whether or not you have a new IP address. If we're so lucky that this happens, then 'forward the ports' and adjust the settings on your router to match your new IP info.

Nagging thing about that suggestion though is that I'm pessimistic that such a thing might work, on account of your IP lease being as long as it is. That lease may end up being persistent. In which case, I would hound your ISP to the point of exhaustion, until they give you a new IP address!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eeb3 View Post
Eeb3, this possibility has had me scratching my head as well. When I was last logged in, before ever discovering this problem, I had an in-game incident. Some fella I had met invited me to his Starbase. We hung out there for a while and then I got hit by that 'Fleet Starbase trapping non-Fleet guests' bug. I was way sloshed on whiskey and annoyed that I couldn't get out and accused my SB host of perhaps intentionally trapping me, as he claimed he had no way of helping.

So, in my drunken paranoia, I reported him to a GM. The fellow in question was very sincerely apologetic over the problem and even compensated me for my troubles with 30 Tholian Requisition boxes and a ton of special ship batteries. I assured him that if a GM contacted me about the report I had filed, that I would attest that the whole thing was a misunderstanding.

Per your suggestion Eeb3, could it possibly be that there's an in-game glitch whereby a GM report backfires on the person doing the reporting, rather than effecting the person that has been reported? Be a terrible thing, if that were the case, as legitimate reports should not be ignored and should be dealt with properly, instead of accidentally punishing a victim.
"Don't try to be a great man. Just be a man and let history make its own judgments." -Zefram Cochrane
Vice-Admiral Methos Corinthian
methos71
Career Officer
# 376
08-28-2012, 05:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by methos71 View Post
Averydd, I read all of your posts, but this quote of yours seemed the most germane to the problem at hand. For starters, I'm positively gobsmacked that your ISP has such lengthy IP address leases! Five days, for a supposed dynamic IP provider, just sounds utterly ridiculous.
Acutally, the 'dynamic' I think refers to 'when you connect' (after being offline for a time) is when it changes and the 'dynamic' is applied.

Quote:
All that aside...and you may have tried this already...but I would suggest leaving the router out of the loop altogether, for starters. Just plug your PC directly into your cable modem, with your router disconnected, and then access 'CMD' and 'ipconfig/release'. Then completely unplug your cable modem (all cables unplugged) and leave it that way for at least 8 hours. When that time's up, check on whether or not you have a new IP address. If we're so lucky that this happens, then 'forward the ports' and adjust the settings on your router to match your new IP info.
Disconnecting your Router and connecting your PC to the cable modem then typing /release would actually be kinda pointless, since the 'release' command isn't to cable modem or to the router, but to the PC, if you want to release the IP from the router, you'd have to do it from the router's interface. (IP's are assigned to the MAC address of the device connected. So unless your router is mirroring your PC's MAC address you 'should' get a diffrent IP# while that device is connected)

Quote:
Eeb3, this possibility has had me scratching my head as well. When I was last logged in, before ever discovering this problem, I had an in-game incident. Some fella I had met invited me to his Starbase. We hung out there for a while and then I got hit by that 'Fleet Starbase trapping non-Fleet guests' bug. I was way sloshed on whiskey and annoyed that I couldn't get out and accused my SB host of perhaps intentionally trapping me, as he claimed he had no way of helping.

So, in my drunken paranoia, I reported him to a GM. The fellow in question was very sincerely apologetic over the problem and even compensated me for my troubles with 30 Tholian Requisition boxes and a ton of special ship batteries. I assured him that if a GM contacted me about the report I had filed, that I would attest that the whole thing was a misunderstanding.

Per your suggestion Eeb3, could it possibly be that there's an in-game glitch whereby a GM report backfires on the person doing the reporting, rather than effecting the person that has been reported? Be a terrible thing, if that were the case, as legitimate reports should not be ignored and should be dealt with properly, instead of accidentally punishing a victim.
I highly doubt that in-game would cause issues with connectivity. Because I know I hadn't made an in-game GM reports before I had to take a week break due to unforeseen circumstances, and when I came back, I started having issues with connectivity to STO.
Starfleet Veteran
# 377
08-28-2012, 05:38 PM
Now Having this fault as well. Try to get into the game and the patch client wont load. Usualy gets tried connecting twice then Errors out. Was working fine up until and hour ago loged out as someone needed the computer came to log back in and suprise suprise it went and started these errors. Have had this before in the past and usualy fixed by downloading another persons working Exe for the game but dont seem to be any links to one at the moment.
Ensign
# 378
08-28-2012, 05:41 PM
I had this problem a few days ago and it resolved itself within minutes, but now I get the same error as above. Makes me wonder if Cryptic did some blanket ban of certain IPs or something.
Career Officer
# 379
08-28-2012, 06:20 PM
Im a player from Indonesia and I can't log on, as well as a friend of mine living in another city in my country.

I hope its not a blanket IP ban...

Love this game too much, spent too much for this to happen like this...
Captain
# 380
08-28-2012, 06:24 PM
I was ingame, got disconnected and have gotten this error everytime I've tried to log in since.
I have a feeling that the trouble is on my end, but the only way I'll know for sure is to try it somewhere else.