Ensign
# 391
08-28-2012, 09:42 PM
Essentially, what you need to do IS get your PC to release the IP as well as your router/modem. An alternative to unplugging your modem is if your modem or router (can't remember which) thinks you've connected a new device (i.e. get your pc to release it's IP and get a new one by tricking your modem into thinking it's a new device-but that part I'm not clear on) it should give you a new IP. That's the other way I know of to get a new IP other than disconnecting your modem for however long it takes for it to pick up a new IP when plugged back in (usually at the very least 8 hrs often times it's more). But again, I'm not really clear on how it would be done, just know it's another way to get a new IP (vaguely as you can see). Hope that helps someone research how to do it if they don't want to unplug their modem.

Again, if you read this entire thread, you will see this IS a working solution for the problem where NO launcher comes up and you can't connect to the patch server. This is not a solution for if you are having issues on your end or something else. Just wanted to be sure I was clear. Also, forthis particular problem there is no need to do anything with the existing game as you have it downloaded, just get a new IP address. That is it.

Last edited by escapay14; 08-28-2012 at 09:49 PM.
Captain
# 392
08-28-2012, 09:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by escapay14 View Post
Essentially, what you need to do IS get your PC to release the IP as well as your router/modem. An alternative to unplugging your modem is if your modem or router (can't remember which) thinks you've connected a new device (i.e. get your pc to release it's IP and get a new one by tricking your modem into thinking it's a new device-but that part I'm not clear on) it should give you a new IP. That's the other way I know of to get a new IP other than disconnecting your modem for however long it takes for it to pick up a new IP when plugged back in (usually at the very least 8 hrs often times it's more). But again, I'm not really clear on how it would be done, just know it's another way to get a new IP (vaguely as you can see). Hope that helps someone research how to do it if they don't want to unplug their modem.
I tried ipconfig /release. That didn't work
Ensign
# 393
08-28-2012, 09:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bohiap View Post
I tried ipconfig /release. That didn't work
It won't work. That's not what I said would work (or did work in my case a few others in here). You need a new IP, what I'm not clear on is if you need a new IP for modem and PC or one or the other. If you read you will see you do that THEN turn your modem off until you can get a new IP when you reconnect (usually 8 or more hrs).
Career Officer
# 394
08-28-2012, 10:02 PM
Methos I live at home and the powers that be would not let me disconnect the Internet for 8 hrs. I am glad you are in but I am not going to jump through all these hoops for a stupid game, if they can't fix it to allow me to log in just as I always did before then I am out! This whole experience has been a major turn off, lack of support etc. So I guess because their system is broken and disconnecting the Internet for hours at a time isn't an option I can't play the game ever again! Ridiculous!
Captain
# 395
08-28-2012, 10:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bannon3 View Post
Methos I live at home and the powers that be would not let me disconnect the Internet for 8 hrs. I am glad you are in but I am not going to jump through all these hoops for a stupid game, if they can't fix it to allow me to log in just as I always did before then I am out! This whole experience has been a major turn off, lack of support etc. So I guess because their system is broken and disconnecting the Internet for hours at a time isn't an option I can't play the game ever again! Ridiculous!
^^This. I'm on a shared connection. I managed to delete the sto.exe and can't restore it. I tried to re-download the game and my connection gave me and estimate time over 5 hours. I don't even think I'll be able to.

Last edited by bohiap; 08-28-2012 at 10:18 PM.
Ensign
# 396
08-28-2012, 10:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bannon3 View Post
Bannon try looking up something about a mac address and forcing your router to think a new device has been connected to get a new IP without having to disconnect the modem. I'm not sure how to do it, I just know that's a starting point for it. Sorry I can't be of much more help than that and I hope you can figure out the solution. Do you have access to managing your router? Cuz I think that's where you have access to change the mac address (via a browser). I want to say you can copy the mac address that is on your pc into the router mac address and it should force the router to get a new IP, but I'm not positive and I'm pretty sure if that's wrong and you do it you can really screw things up. Hence me saying you should Google it and d some research.
Captain
# 397
08-28-2012, 10:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by chandlerashari View Post
dont redownload the entire game, have someone you know thats playing the game currently send you his/her Star Trek Online.exe

that fixed the problem for me and my friend.

- William@chandlerashari
Joint Chief, Starfleet Medical Command
Is there a way you'd be able to send it to me? I don't have a way to connect to anybody in game.
Ensign
# 398
08-28-2012, 10:54 PM
ok...rechecked the program logs for STO on my comp. here's what i got so far...

"HTTP patching disconnected from stohttppatch.crypticstudios.com:80: socket was shutdown(0:No error)"

still don't know what it means....but the log in screen just popped up for me....attempting to log in now......success.....ok, so how do i explain this?

i accessed the game files on my pc. i clicky'd the Star trek online file icon. clickied the live file. clickied the logs file. clicky'd the game client file. clickied down the list (which pops up notepad windows with data). scanned the data there looking for abnormalities (anything that looks out of place with the regular log orders) found the above entry during the interval i was trying to launch the game (ya know, little white box, annoying oops popup when it failed to load). quite a few program files that you are not able to access, but that's ok....prevents us from screwing up our pc's. while randomly trying to access these forbidden areas, viola! game launcher comes up...and i'm back in business....

maybe i accedentally jogged the hogg files memory.....i don't know.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Boy....Don't tell me about how "ubergodleet" you think you are. I was playing games long before you were even a twinkle in your daddy's eye....ever hear of Commodore or Ti99? Yeah....it's like that."
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Career Officer
# 399
08-28-2012, 11:40 PM
Quote:
If I go to the download link without uninstalling any files would it try to download the whole thing and rewrite everything? Is there a file I should delete so it downloads a new copy without needing to spend all night re-downloading the whole game?
Quote:
Is there a way you'd be able to send it to me? I don't have a way to connect to anybody in game.
pm me your email man
Career Officer
# 400
08-29-2012, 05:20 AM
Well I went for it overnight and what do you know? The launcher popped right up and is patching, although it says I dont have javascript enabled? I have Java installed and running, so I dont know what that means, so far it isnt hindering anything. I am not getting my hopes up it could just break again tomorrow.

Okay I am in and all seems good, methos you can add me as a buddy I have several chars but use Ransom@Race1 that way I will be in there no matter who I log on with!

Last edited by bannon3; 08-29-2012 at 05:38 AM.