Lt. Commander
# 11
11-17-2011, 08:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagorak View Post
A lot of the new icons are way too cartoony. I can't accept that Starfleet would actually put something like that up on the wall. The art style needs to take into account the illusion that this is a real organization. The ship yard icon in particular, I think just looks ridiculous.

It's not so much that the icons are bad, but some of them belong in Champions online, not Star Trek.

In general, we need icons more reminiscent of what would be seen in an Okudagram. It would be better to just have monchrome bluish icons with black background. It would fit better.
+1 EXACTLY right. While I appreciate all the Developer's hard work, this stuff just doesn't fit the Star Trek Motif.
Lt. Commander
# 12
11-17-2011, 08:32 PM
Quote:
Overall I think I agree that the original icons were better. They didn't grab your attention, but that's a good thing. Sometimes less is more.

I'm not sure I even agree that the icons need to be more noticeable. However, if that's the goal, this is taking it way too far from what would fly in the ST universe.
You know it just occurred to me, too bad they couldn't implement a type of direction indicator like the one we saw Riker use in Encounter at Farpoint, if people got lost.
Lt. Commander
# 13
11-17-2011, 09:22 PM
The signs need some sort of holo-projector screen behind them, preferably with a border like the old signs had. The black backing just pasted onto the areas behind them doesn't look great to be honest.
Lt. Commander
# 14 NOT happy with the new ESD
11-17-2011, 09:29 PM
Oh NOT Happy!
Bring back the ESD from earlier!

The signs look very cartoony and the colors are garring. I much prefered the blue, star fleet feel to the way it was earlier.
Lt. Commander
# 15
11-17-2011, 09:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxrocks
I don't think the location icons deserve such a harsh comment. They are well done, but they don't fit at all. They are the wrong style for the setting of ESD. They would probably fit the general setting and atmosphere better on Risa at a resort or something.
This, they are nice enough just don't fit into a starfleet base setting...
Lt. Commander
# 16
11-17-2011, 11:16 PM
Quote:
A lot of the new icons are way too cartoony. I can't accept that Starfleet would actually put something like that up on the wall. The art style needs to take into account the illusion that this is a real organization. The ship yard icon in particular, I think just looks ridiculous. It's not so much that the icons are bad, but some of them belong in Champions online, not Star Trek.
I absolutely agree with you. The icons just feel ... wrong. Sorry
Lt. Commander
# 17
11-18-2011, 12:32 AM
I dont mind them myself (although the neon arrows are a bit over the top and proabably not needed or can be toned down) and they will be very clear for new players but i will agree they dont fit the feel of what a spacedock should look like.

perhaps a couple of the images could be reworked to look less cartonish. especially the shipyard and weapon icons.

The icons about NPC heads again is helpful but a bit in-your-face. perhaps if you could toggle from old look/new look/off would help?
Lt. Commander
# 18
11-18-2011, 03:38 AM
As comic book guy from The Simpson’s might say “Worst signage ever.”
Lt. Commander
# 19
11-18-2011, 03:32 PM
I have to agree with the majority of the sentiments in this thread so far. The new signs are kind of neat, as far as the holographic look and all, but the actual 'look and feel' of them is very much NOT Starfleet. They seem much too 'casual' in style for ESD. Something more elegant/formal would be more fitting. These have a certain 'hand-drawn' quality to them, which can be a fine stylistic choice for some places -- but that would generally be places with a more casual, fun-loving atmosphere, etc. As another said earlier -- they'd likely look very appropriate on Risa (or perhaps around Drozana station).

For ESD, I think more of clean, precise icons -- something that looks more 'machined' -- the precise lines of a draftsman, rather than the whimsical ones of an artist. That's not to say they can't be kind of sleek and stylized -- but Starfleet signage should, IMO, look more 'serious' and professional.
Lt. Commander
# 20
11-18-2011, 03:48 PM
The changes are horrible.

ESD now doesn't look anything like a starfleet base.

It looks like a saturday morning cartoon aimed at children.

Starfleet is part of the Federation armed forces. You don't see something cartoonish like this in the U.S. Navy.