Lt. Commander
# 31
11-18-2011, 05:23 PM
I agree with the OP (And I'm sure everyone else in the thread). The new signs are so awful that there are no words which can describe how awful they actually are...
Lt. Commander
# 32
11-18-2011, 05:26 PM
I've been chatting with Thomas the Cryptic Cat on Twitter (who did the icons), while he has done a lot of great work I must say this is one of his stinkers. What's worse is that he knows everyone hates it but in his own words he has put two weeks of work into this and it is going to go live.

TTC I'm sorry, but the sunk cost fallacy is just that, a fallacy. When something is universally panned that means that you are hurting the game (and the source of your income). It was a nice experiment, and having icons for the vendors is a good idea - though they need to be less cartoony, but the directional cartoony signs need to be pulled and replaced with what we already had which was good.
Lt. Commander
# 33
11-18-2011, 05:27 PM
The only new sign that seems really out of place to me is the Shipyard, though I wouldn't mind a bit better Bank and Exchange as well. The color coded section arrows are pretty standard fare in modern airports, I don't see why they wouldn't be in use in the future too. The old LCARS style signs were terrible, with a terrible font, and inconsistent coloring, I'm totally glad they are gone.
Lt. Commander
# 34
11-18-2011, 05:52 PM
The new signs just suck. They should just stick with the old ones. Either that or these need to be changed to fit the setting better. The change is absolutely horrendous as it is.
Lt. Commander
# 35
11-18-2011, 05:59 PM
I am HOPING they are just temporary placeholders...or just Zeronius' idea of a joke.......
Lt. Commander
These 'toonish icons HAVE TO GO, they do not fit into the 24/25th Century design aesthetic of the Trek universe and do not belong here PERIOD.
Lt. Commander
# 37
11-18-2011, 06:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobeleca
I've been chatting with Thomas the Cryptic Cat on Twitter (who did the icons), while he has done a lot of great work I must say this is one of his stinkers. What's worse is that he knows everyone hates it but in his own words he has put two weeks of work into this and it is going to go live.

TTC I'm sorry, but the sunk cost fallacy is just that, a fallacy. When something is universally panned that means that you are hurting the game (and the source of your income). It was a nice experiment, and having icons for the vendors is a good idea - though they need to be less cartoony, but the directional cartoony signs need to be pulled and replaced with what we already had which was good.
With all due respect for the artist...It doesn't compute at all that it took 2 WEEKS to make those (maybe he meant ALL the new UI elements). As far as the signs - I could have whipped up such sub-par quality in MSPAINT in about 30 minutes. It CAN'T be that big a deal to change at least the half dozen or so icons on the signage and the other half dozen NPC floaters...If he's that inefficient, he doesn't need to be doing what he does.

I wonder if I post suggested replacement images here (do some work for them), would they possibly get considered? I might just do that tomorrow.
Lt. Commander
# 38
11-18-2011, 06:37 PM
EVERYONE ! Settle down please.. everyone hate the new signs.. But they might just be place holders for better ones. lets hope. STOP blamming devs ! IT is a test server after all.

These Devs have been under the gun for months ! After everything Atari / PW has put them through we should be blessed.
Lt. Commander
# 39 just wow....
11-18-2011, 06:42 PM
in an attempt of trying to be polite I have to say this looks like crap. Some of it "could" work if the icons were smaller. Look at the size of our characters in STO and the size scale is unrealistic at best. The red/blue/yellow arrows are ok, but need to be reduced in size by atleast 50%. the other icons need to be reduced in size by atleast 50%, as do the icons over the NPC's heads. The text needs a reduction in size of atleast 75%. Think of this as though it were real life. How big of a sign would you really need to guide you where you need to be? And I haven't even got to the "quality" of the icons. The "look" of Star Trek is smooth, sleek, and futuristic. If you apply that idea behind every visual change you make in this game, you wont have any complaints.
Lt. Commander
# 40
11-18-2011, 06:46 PM
I will throw my 2 cents in on the new signs at ESD, because this is a discussion thread, where people provide feedback. FEEDBACK which hopefully the devs read, and make the necessary changes, IF they are so inclined to do so.

The only sign that I really have a strong dislike for is the SHIPYARD sign, it looks like a first grader art project gone bad. It's terribly bad.

The other signs I can live with, IF I have to. The SHIPYARD sign makes me sad, sad that such a terrible representation for a starship even exists. Did one of the devs accidently pick up one of their kids scribbles very early in the morning on their way out the door and use it as their own? IT...IS...TERRIBLE.

Sorry, I call them the way I see them.

I REALLY hope as someone previous to me has said these are temporary place holder signs, with better signs to come to replace these. PLEASE be so.