Lt. Commander
# 41
11-18-2011, 06:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobeleca
What's worse is that he knows everyone hates it but in his own words he has put two weeks of work into this and it is going to go live.
Unfortunately it is thinking like this that is hurting the game. If you are questioning why you see less people in game it is things like this and all of the changes and the taking away from the existing player base. I'm still scratching my head at some of these decisions, they are getting feedback and being told that people are going to leave unless something is done and what they give back it nothing. It is like they know that if they take away 50 things that if they give back 10 of them they can sit there and say that they are listening to feedback.....

When they keep saying stuff like this, that it is not being changed live when people are complaining about it they are just going to start leaving and that is just going to hurt the game .......
Lt. Commander
# 42
11-18-2011, 06:56 PM
Do not like the floating icons and signs. They just clash with the feel of the exsting game environment. Not even sure why they are needed in the first placed. At least give us the ability to toggle them on/off.
Lt. Commander
# 43
11-18-2011, 07:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobeleca
I've been chatting with Thomas the Cryptic Cat on Twitter (who did the icons), while he has done a lot of great work I must say this is one of his stinkers. What's worse is that he knows everyone hates it but in his own words he has put two weeks of work into this and it is going to go live.

TTC I'm sorry, but the sunk cost fallacy is just that, a fallacy. When something is universally panned that means that you are hurting the game (and the source of your income). It was a nice experiment, and having icons for the vendors is a good idea - though they need to be less cartoony, but the directional cartoony signs need to be pulled and replaced with what we already had which was good.
If it took any qualified game developer 2 weeks for this (and im being gentle and including all ESD changes) they are underqualified for their jobs and cryptic really should get someone better. The signage on ESD is amaturish and very sloppy and should never have been put in the game.

They should just put the old signs back in they are 1000 times better than the rubbish that has been littered about ESD !
Lt. Commander
# 44
11-18-2011, 07:57 PM
These signs are just horrible. I was shocked to see them in the game. I don't understand the internal decision process that would lead to this kind of horrible change...

I mean, its Star Trek, make them look like LCARS as previously mentioned. Don't use a bunch of clashing colors that just look aweful, use one nice clean color/design scheme and go with it.
Lt. Commander
# 45
11-18-2011, 08:22 PM
Upon first reading of this thread I thought, "oh here we go again. People are over-reacting." After logging into Tribble I was shocked to say the least when I saw these new signs. I'm still having a hard time believing that they're serious about the changes. They're absolutely terrible. They're literally hand-drawn cartoon icons! I rarely ever complain about the game, in fact I'm a pretty big Cryptic defender, but these graphics are terrible, and so un-Trek that I'm almost insulted. The fonts are even terrible. What is that TImes New Roman? They're either just a placeholder for new holographic-looking signs, or PW is dumbing down our Trek universe to cater to non-trek players for F2P. I REALLY hope it's the former.
Lt. Commander
# 46
11-18-2011, 08:42 PM
I had assumed these were just placeholders. I'm really horrified if what I read here is true. The lazy sharing between Champs models and trek was bad enough, but this is ridiculous. I'm generally a Cryptic apologist as well, but there's no defending these designs!
Lt. Commander
# 47
11-18-2011, 08:43 PM
They would be crazy to keep it. I suspect it will get replaced before it goes live.
Q
Lt. Commander
# 48
11-18-2011, 10:01 PM
I agree with the OP WHOLEHEARTEDLY.

The STO engine is good 9and does good job with 3D characters and ships. The 'Holo-Signs' and the new Icon you have over every vendor NPCs head look like a 2D paste job from the old "Star Trek 25th Anniversary" game - IE it looks REALLY jarring and ruins any immersion as they really stand out in a bad way.

By all meands change wgat needs to be changed to make F2P work - but the new signs and character icons - just plain awful. Also - as far as the text on the signs - this is Star Trek - if you've going to do text - use a Star Trek 24th century font.

Personally, I wish you guys woulod NOT change what doesn't need to be changed as there was nothing wrong with the current NPC character 'above the head' icons - seriously.
Lt. Commander
# 49
11-18-2011, 10:39 PM
I would like to see things moving back towards subtlety. The flashing interactables got more subtle, and now less subtle, the icons have gotten big and full of bright shiny colors befitting of a children's cereal. Alot of trek fans want immersion, even the non-roleplayers. I really don't understand the change. It was fine before. I saw an earlier post here asking to be able to turn them off. if this is the new build I would like to ask the same, and really think being able to turn off the floating icons period would be a nice addition to the game. Like being able to shut off astrometrics was.
Lt. Commander
# 50
11-18-2011, 10:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anazonda View Post
I just seen the new holographic signs on ESD, and I must say:

Do you think this is champions Cryptic?

I mean, about launch everything was cartoonish, and looked like colored rubber, wich was kinda fine cause it was an emergency solution being carried over from champions, and you did fix it over time, by making textures and models more realistic and detailed over time.

So why are you doing the exact oppersite now? Making simplified signs, that don't even fit into the current surroundings??

I know you want to please your new Overlords, and that is completely understandable, but you know that some of your new asian customers are also Trek fans, and as such will not like that you add cartoon elements to an enviorment that they kinda expect to carry a mature feeling.

Not every of your new players is an anime fan... I belive that is a little sterotype, and it seems a bit odd that you would choose to de-evolve the enviroment like that.

I am aware that you are alot stronger in making cartoonish, and at times more childish appearences. I know from making webpages, that it is easier to create such simple graphics for kids than the more sophisticated visuals, but this just dosn't go.

PLEASE: make them more visually pleasing, and mature.
Now, I am an anime fan but I don't like the new signs. They're bloody awful, unsuitable and I have no sympathy for anyone that needs them to be the way they are to get around ESD. Clearer signs, great, but these are hideously out of place.

It's like the new career icons. They were fine before, why, exactly, did they have to be changed, let alone for some silly cartoonish graphic?

ThomasTheCrypticCat, I don't care how long you took to make them, 2 days, 2 weeks, 2 months, it doesn't matter, they're bad. Sorry but you can't win them all, and you've had winners in the past, you can do it again, but not with these designs.