Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
Here's a little challenge for you Cryptic... or anyone who wants to take it.

Please compose a text paragraph that explains why I should log in and play STO, without using the words:
  • Gear
  • Loot
  • Reward
  • Token
  • Dilithium
  • C-Store
  • Cryptic Points
  • PvP
  • PvE
  • F2P
You are encouraged to use the words:
  • Exploration
  • Storyline
  • New Featured Episodes
  • Choice
  • Drama
  • Adventure
  • Roleplay
  • Meaningful
  • Foundry
Please, convince me that I made the right choice when I bought a Lifetime subscription.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 2
11-18-2011, 08:47 PM
Maybe encourage them to use pvp too? You know, the other important game play mode of this MMO?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 3
11-18-2011, 08:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by genxcraig View Post
Maybe encourage them to use pvp too? You know, the other important game play mode of this MMO?
Thanks for reminding me, I'll modify my list immediately!
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 4
11-18-2011, 08:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordOfPit View Post
Thanks for reminding me, I'll modify my list immediately!
Thanks! You just restored my faith in the balance of the community a little.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 5
11-18-2011, 08:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by genxcraig View Post
Thanks! You just restored my faith in the balance of the community a little.
No, I've actually red-listed PvP. PvP doesn't do much for me you see. Sorry.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 6
11-18-2011, 09:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordOfPit View Post
No, I've actually red-listed PvP. PvP doesn't do much for me you see. Sorry.
Well than that's pretty lame and narrow minded of you to negate an entire gameplay mode just because of your single person preference, when it's common knowledge it's an important part of any successful MMO. Unless of course you're driving towards some continuing lack of success this game achieved throughout it's nearly two year existence.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 7
11-18-2011, 09:03 PM
To expand on the challenge, I just say I challenge them to rethink what we have now and just make a deeper and better experience. For example:

PvP:

- Set minimums to 3 on 3 to start a match

- have joinable lobbies instead of queues

- introduce new game modes for PvP, along with new maps and open PvP zones

- have leaderboards and "true skill" type matching system so matches are fair

PvE

- change exploration so it seems like exploration

- stick to the plan of pulling down the sector walls

- add more planets like Betazed and increase size of Klingon Empire space

- add at minimum 12 new standalone KDF missions for leveling KDF characters properly

- give the KDF some extra patrols/raids instead of simply Pi Canis

- give the KDF some more racial choices for characters

- produce the Romulan faction rollout

- expand crafting to add more unique items, while having minimal dilithium requirement

- keep DSE's

- finally add fleet starbases

- redo STF's so that they vary from low level to high level, instead of having to be close to cap to do them all, and add more of them

- add more story and cutscenes to missions, and make them feel "Trek" like the remastered ones

That's just some, but a darn good start...so how about it, Cryptic? If you build it, they will stay.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 8
11-18-2011, 09:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by genxcraig View Post
Well than that's pretty lame and narrow minded of you to negate an entire gameplay mode just because of your single person preference, when it's common knowledge it's an important part of any successful MMO. Unless of course you're driving towards some continuing lack of success this game achieved throughout it's nearly two year existence.
Look, PvP may be a part of successful MMO's like WoW or Rift or what-not, but I'm not looking for PvP here, I'm looking for actual content that feels meaningful based on story and adventure, and not on being thrown into a queue with a bunch of other players and told to fight one-another. That's not meaningful to me and not interesting.

I could, if I wanted to, come up with a few ideas that would spike my interest in PvP. For example a Space-based Torch/Relay race where the Torch-bearer becomes PvP-flagged and can be attacked and all those who attack the Torch-bearer become PvP-flagged themselves. Until the torch is passed on and the flags are reset.

Or a mission where two opposing teams have conflicting goals in space and ground maps, but killing one another doesn't win the scenario so the entire thing doesn't degrade into a silly arena match. Even territory control games in instanced zones that don't affect the PvE game, would be an improvement that I'd be happy to see.

However, the goal of this thread is to show Cryptic something I'm not sure they want to see... a lot of people want to play this game because of the STAR TREK TV shows and the adventures in them. Not because they want loot or rewards or PvP or combat, combat and more combat.

Players want story-based content and a franchise like STAR TREK, deserves solid story-based content first and foremost!
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 9
11-18-2011, 09:22 PM
Lord, I can't say I PvP much on here, but some of the most glaring weaknesses in the game are the blatant unfinished state of the KDF, and the broken PvE/PvP queues and lack of stuff for the PvP folks. PvE is great for us, but if we want a really successful game, all of these things need addressed, not just more story content for us.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 10
11-18-2011, 09:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordOfPit View Post
Look, PvP may be a part of successful MMO's like WoW or Rift or what-not, but I'm not looking for PvP here, I'm looking for actual content that feels meaningful based on story and adventure, and not on being thrown into a queue with a bunch of other players and told to fight one-another. That's not meaningful to me and not interesting.

I could, if I wanted to, come up with a few ideas that would spike my interest in PvP. For example a Space-based Torch/Relay race where the Torch-bearer becomes PvP-flagged and can be attacked and all those who attack the Torch-bearer become PvP-flagged themselves. Until the torch is passed on and the flags are reset.

Or a mission where two opposing teams have conflicting goals in space and ground maps, but killing one another doesn't win the scenario so the entire thing doesn't degrade into a silly arena match. Even territory control games in instanced zones that don't affect the PvE game, would be an improvement that I'd be happy to see.

However, the goal of this thread is to show Cryptic something I'm not sure they want to see... a lot of people want to play this game because of the STAR TREK TV shows and the adventures in them. Not because they want loot or rewards or PvP or combat, combat and more combat.

Players want story-based content and a franchise like STAR TREK, deserves solid story-based content first and foremost!
Wow I like your ideas. They seem like fun and could fit into the IP by your definition. so it sounds to me like you would participate in, maybe even enjoy, pvp that was meaningful?

How about incorporating that into your positive ideas instead of negating it completely? Because honestly, some mode like that seems like it could be fun and interesting for even the most ardent of the "non-pvp'ers for for the sake of non-pvp"? Yes, arena queuing meeting the same 10 people over and over is not fun after a while, because one either always wins or always looses. Some variety is in order for the entire better of the game whether you like that gameplay mode or not. That is my point. I understand your point, that you do not play pvp as it is. PvP in a different manner seems it would catch your attention. And that deserves positive merit.

Supreme Heretic, you have some great ideas as well. One can only hope they get acknowledged somehow else.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:57 PM.