Lt. Commander
# 11
11-18-2011, 09:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by supreme_heretic View Post
Lord, I can't say I PvP much on here, but some of the most glaring weaknesses in the game are the blatant unfinished state of the KDF, and the broken PvE/PvP queues and lack of stuff for the PvP folks. PvE is great for us, but if we want a really successful game, all of these things need addressed, not just more story content for us.
First, call me LoP, it confuses me less.

Secondly, I'm not saying that Cryptic shouldn't fix all that's bugged, badly implemented, or worse... wrongfully designed.

I am however saying that without story-based content, even awesomely built and polished in-game systems and mechanics won't do justice to the STAR TREK franchise in a way that would satisfy the many fans that want STAR TREK out of STO rather than just Star Trek flavored pew-pew.
Lt. Commander
# 12
11-18-2011, 09:32 PM
... Why am "I" being left to fulfill this Challenge? Grrrr... Stupid Fanboys are nowhere to be seen when they are needed.

You should log into STO and join up with your fleet or like minded folks. Use the mechanics and the world provided to spin a story between you. Make a fun RP of this story and have it involve the need to explore hard to reach and find nooks and crannies of the many social zones in the game. Tie it into a grand mission or series of missions made in the Foundry where one can be the GM and design the story they want everyone to experience together. Between the in-game content and the foundry things you and your group will make you create your own world, the one Cryptic could not envision or create on their own.

If you are a Klingon it could be an epic battle that you and your friends only BARELY walk away from. A battle that you can sing about around the tables in your flag ship or back on the homeword over much Blood Wine. Generations to come will be in awe of what happened those dire days and you will bare the scars for the rest of your lives.

If you are a Fed you could stumble upon a strange new race with challenging and unique problems that only the most savvy captain will be able to help them with. Do it right and you may welcome a new wonderful ally into the Federation... Make the wrong move and you either condemn these new people to death or make them a sworn enemy bent on the utter annihilation of the Federation.

That is just my thought on the matter... This is why the drought does not effect me so much lol. Cryptic ought to give me a freakin' medal or tribble or something for even bothering to write that up... The fact is though, IF you really want to enjoy the game (not even with PvP) it has some wonderful tools and some great possibilities. The main gameplay, especially what is coming, may get in the way and be a downer but once you are past that things can be very enjoyable.
Lt. Commander
# 13
11-18-2011, 09:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by genxcraig View Post
Wow I like your ideas. They seem like fun and could fit into the IP by your definition. so it sounds to me like you would participate in, maybe even enjoy, pvp that was meaningful?
Yes, I would participate. I have participated in WoW Battlegrounds and liked Capture and Hold engagements in STO, at least for a while.

Quote:
How about incorporating that into your positive ideas instead of negating it completely?
Because a Star Trek game that is based on competition isn't the STAR TREK I wanted to pay $300 to buy a Lifetime subscription for. A Star Trek game that introduces new episodic content every few weeks, is.

Quote:
PvP in a different manner seems it would catch your attention. And that deserves positive merit.
Very true, but since the whole point is to allow Cryptic to figure out what sort of thrills I am looking for in STO, I think they ought to start without PvP and later on, once they've proven to me the GET IT, then we can talk PvP... you know, taking baby-steps here...
Lt. Commander
# 14
11-18-2011, 09:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinkuu_Akagan
... Why am "I" being left to fulfill this Challenge? Grrrr... Stupid Fanboys are nowhere to be seen when they are needed.

You should log into STO and join up with your fleet or like minded folks. Use the mechanics and the world provided to spin a story between you. Make a fun RP of this story and have it involve the need to explore hard to reach and find nooks and crannies of the many social zones in the game. Tie it into a grand mission or series of missions made in the Foundry where one can be the GM and design the story they want everyone to experience together. Between the in-game content and the foundry things you and your group will make you create your own world, the one Cryptic could not envision or create on their own.

If you are a Klingon it could be an epic battle that you and your friends only BARELY walk away from. A battle that you can sing about around the tables in your flag ship or back on the homeword over much Blood Wine. Generations to come will be in awe of what happened those dire days and you will bare the scars for the rest of your lives.

If you are a Fed you could stumble upon a strange new race with challenging and unique problems that only the most savvy captain will be able to help them with. Do it right and you may welcome a new wonderful ally into the Federation... Make the wrong move and you either condemn these new people to death or make them a sworn enemy bent on the utter annihilation of the Federation.

That is just my thought on the matter... This is why the drought does not effect me so much lol. Cryptic ought to give me a freakin' medal or tribble or something for even bothering to write that up... The fact is though, IF you really want to enjoy the game (not even with PvP) it has some wonderful tools and some great possibilities. The main gameplay, especially what is coming, may get in the way and be a downer but once you are past that things can be very enjoyable.
Seems vaguely similar to that time a developer said that we should make our own content if we were unsatisfied with the level of developer made content.
Lt. Commander
# 15
11-18-2011, 09:46 PM
Quote:
Supreme Heretic, you have some great ideas as well. One can only hope they get acknowledged somehow else.
The problem Craig, is that we can throw out ideas all we want, but at the end of the day, we are all still getting the "take it or leave it" reality of this conversion. So no matter what we suggest, it's more like what could have been.
Lt. Commander
# 16
11-18-2011, 09:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinkuu_Akagan View Post
...You should log into STO and join up with your fleet or like minded folks. Use the mechanics and the world provided to spin a story between you.
Sorry, I'm not of that school of thought that sees Roleplaying as chatting with one-another and striking a pose with the many emotes Cryptic put in-game. To me, Roleplaying does not exist if the game-world itself does not acknowledge its existence.

Quote:
...Make a fun RP of this story and have it involve the need to explore hard to reach and find nooks and crannies of the many social zones in the game. Tie it into a grand mission or series of missions made in the Foundry where one can be the GM and design the story they want everyone to experience together. Between the in-game content and the foundry things you and your group will make you create your own world, the one Cryptic could not envision or create on their own.
I don't know about you, but I've actually been working with the Foundry, learning its secrets from it's Closed Beta. Currently it lacks many many tools that are needed to create what you describe, not to mention the bugs that still exist in the Foundry. Unreliable tools are... unreliable.

If the Foundry was up to par, perhaps there'd be a point, as things currently are your suggestion isn't satisfactory.

Quote:
...If you are a Klingon it could be an epic battle that you and your friends only BARELY walk away from. A battle that you can sing about around the tables in your flag ship or back on the homeword over much Blood Wine.
If I wanted that kind of roleplay, I'd've stuck with a bunch of friends who play D&D on a card table with real dice and character-sheets. I didn't pay $300 to use a service that requires me to entertain myself on a monthly basis. This kind of thing worked great when I played City of Heroes, and Champions Online, but from Star Trek Online, I want STAR TREK adventures, written by capable people who care about STAR TREK.

Quote:
...If you are a Fed you could stumble upon a strange new race with challenging and unique problems that only the most savvy captain will be able to help them with. Do it right and you may welcome a new wonderful ally into the Federation... Make the wrong move and you either condemn these new people to death or make them a sworn enemy bent on the utter annihilation of the Federation.
You know, all this sounds really awesome! I suggest Cryptic sits down and creates these adventures you're talking about. Perhaps less people will begrudge them for the whole F2P transition if the actual content roll-out would be as exciting as you describe!
Lt. Commander
# 17
11-18-2011, 09:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by supreme_heretic View Post
The problem Craig, is that we can throw out ideas all we want, but at the end of the day, we are all still getting the "take it or leave it" reality of this conversion. So no matter what we suggest, it's more like what could have been.
Sadly that is too true. Even with what's becoming the OP's private little rp fantasy. Never going to happen his way. And in this case that's good for the playerbase.

I'm sure LOP, if you want to donate a couple hundred thousand dollars in stock they'd be more than happy to take you up on your challenge.
Lt. Commander
# 18
11-18-2011, 09:57 PM
Since there are no New Featured Episodes I log in solely for Roleplay but since there has been little Meaningful Storylines going on that is not filled with OOC Drama, I have made the Choice to play Foundry missions so I can experience Exploration and Adventure
Lt. Commander
# 19
11-18-2011, 10:10 PM
Quote:
Even with what's becoming the OP's private little rp fantasy. Never going to happen his way. And in this case that's good for the playerbase.
If Cryptic thought that the success of Star Trek Online was based on competitive gameplay and simple-minded combat, they should've attempted to create a STAR TREK themed MOBA. No need for stories or cut-scenes. Clearly, Cryptic decided to strive for more and I'd like that "extra-mile" approach to continue.

Quote:
I'm sure LoP, if you want to donate a couple hundred thousand in stock they'd be more than happy to take you up on your challenge.
Believe me, if I had lots to give, I would have.

So far, Cryptic got from me:
  • About $1,800 in monthly fees for two accounts for City of Heroes/Villains, over 5 years.
  • About $1,200 for 4 Lifetime accounts, two in CO and two in STO.
  • A few hundred dollars for Cryptic Points and the game boxes.
I'm not expecting to dictate the company's development strategies, but I'd like to know that developing actual story-based STAR TREK themed content is something Cryptic intends to follow through with.

Just as an aside... the Lifetimes have already paid for themselves, so it's not the money. I'll always have CO and STO on my PC and in-between work, and other fun stuff the urge will always be there to check out what's going on in CO/STO. I just want to know I won't login just to logout again 5 minutes later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonSpot View Post
Since there are no New Featured Episodes I log in solely for Roleplay but since there has been little Meaningful Storylines going on that is not filled with OOC Drama, I have made the Choice to play Foundry missions so I can experience Exploration and Adventure
Ahh... sneaky little Mara!
Lt. Commander
# 20
11-18-2011, 10:22 PM
Heres the reality of your green listed Items.

On your exploration for meaningful storyline and new featured episodes. It will be an adventure because you have little choice, it's either roleplay, foundry or the drama of the forums.