Lt. Commander
# 21
11-18-2011, 11:27 PM
Star Trek has been known for it's Adventure and Exploration something with the recent content 'depression'. However for me there is hope in the future. As a lifetime subscriber you don't pay just to have accessed the game in the past but as a sort of investment in the future. New content is coming with the DOFF system and the Borg Ground invasion. Some time after the current main priority of the STO dev team has been handled (See what I did there :p) New Feature Episodes are also coming with promises of more to come.

The Foundry has been a big part in providing the drama and adventure known as main elements. It is not easy. With the Cryptic point stipend for the 'lifetime' of the game I think STO while community morale is currently quire low has a real chance to rebound in the future and Life time is all about the future of the game.
Lt. Commander
# 22
11-18-2011, 11:28 PM
Well the game would be a better game for everyone (not just you, and that is what you should be challenging) if what systems already existed, all the systems, were developed further, instead of being left in a state of near death in favor of adding new 80% done systems.

Though you have indeed spent too much money on this game (what you spent on others doesn't count because you are not customers of STO for those expenditures) , it is because of that expenditure you should be challenging the devs for a better game for all players. That way there are more players, and that way more re-invested back into the game unless the owner is once again Atari hoping to strip it's only income source of it's breath.
Lt. Commander
# 23
11-18-2011, 11:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordOfPit View Post
You know, all this sounds really awesome! I suggest Cryptic sits down and creates these adventures you're talking about. Perhaps less people will begrudge them for the whole F2P transition if the actual content roll-out would be as exciting as you describe!
LOL... Good luck with THAT. No that I would be anything but pleased if they did.
Lt. Commander
# 24
11-18-2011, 11:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinkuu_Akagan View Post
LOL... Good luck with THAT. No that I would be anything but pleased if they did.
I know...

Truth be told though, I'd be ecstatic if Cryptic fixed Foundry bugs and updated it so that multiple authors could easily collaborate on one mission together, importing and exporting it as required before having it published by the author who's been designated as the Publisher.
Lt. Commander
# 25
11-18-2011, 11:57 PM
Guys, the real truth and the most insidious truth is it is no longer about Star Trek, the players, or even the developers individually for that matter. The Asian free-to-play model's success is priority one here, no matter what it costs in players, developers, or ties to the Star Trek name. This game and we as people are viewed expendable for the greater good, meaning PW's implementation of their business into the West.

If this game goes south, it will simply be viewed as a business error to learn from and adjust, and PW will next try and dominate the market via Neverwinter. I don't think their aquiring of Cryptic ever had anything to do with improving STO, it was all about Cryptic's engine and Neverwinter Nights.
Lt. Commander
# 26
11-18-2011, 11:58 PM
What this game has always been missing is meaningful game play both in PVP and PVE. The problems is you can't make command decisions. It's like your bridge officer are in command. Plus the fact you jump right into commanding a star ship was goofy.

You should have had to run holodeck simulations at Star Fleet Academy. Then worked up from shuttles then to fighters. Taking command of a star ship when you were commander, after your Captain was killed. It would have been more believable.

The biggest thing the foundry needs is ways for authors to make decisions effect the outcome of the mission.

Like my bridge officer tells me he's detected a ship on sensors and it gives me a list of options to choose from. Those choices would have different outcomes. Like I could choose maintain coarse and the ship would do nothing. Hail them I could have a conversation and talk my way into or out of a fight. Or red alert and the ship would attack.

To be honest to make this a great game you would have to redesign it and get another developer. At this point I can't see STO ever being more than a flop. I wish it was a great game but I think it's tall ship has sailed.
Lt. Commander
# 27
11-18-2011, 11:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by supreme_heretic View Post
If this game goes south, it will simply be viewed as a business error to learn from and adjust, and PW will next try and dominate the market via Neverwinter. I don't think their aquiring of Cryptic ever had anything to do with improving STO, it was all about Cryptic's engine and Neverwinter Nights.
That's never been denied by anyone, yet...
Lt. Commander
# 28
11-19-2011, 12:07 AM
To expand on Englebert's point a couple posts ago, he is right. With the bevy of bugs and things that need to be addressed by now, the development team would need a "back to the drawing board" scenario to do the game properly.

There's no way they could simply just shut down the servers for a month even and fix it, it would take basically 2 more years of development to make it a full all-around experience that compared with top MMORPG's on the market. I do give credit to the developers for trying, but patches are really just like putting the proverbial band-aid on a bullet wound.
Lt. Commander
# 29
11-19-2011, 12:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by supreme_heretic View Post
Guys, the real truth and the most insidious truth is it is no longer about Star Trek, the players, or even the developers individually for that matter. The Asian free-to-play model's success is priority one here, no matter what it costs in players, developers, or ties to the Star Trek name. This game and we as people are viewed expendable for the greater good, meaning PW's implementation of their business into the West.

You are half-right here. My fear is that even the Asian market won't get this game the player volume it needs. At least not until it is localized for Mandarin, Korean and Japanese, and by the time that's gotten to, it will be way to late. All word of mouth in the the english speaking world will have killed this game off by the time that happens.

And you're absolutely right, PW's main goal was to acquire the engine. It's bonus was the additional revenue generated by the existing games. The measure right now, really, is how much money it's going to take to keep a positive revenue stream. The minute those streams turn negative, say bye bye. PW has the opportunity to be more shrewd. Atari needed the huge influx of sell-out cash in a big way.

At this point, I'm surprised the financial models valued Cryptic at the $50M it was sold for. I believe the $50m value was set upon the revenue STO could generate once f2p, not given it's current subscriber value. Same with CO (revamp coming I'm sure) and the unreleased model for NW.

Given the IP and the management of the game so far, I don't think it's a matter of IF the game goes south and closes, but when the game closes. With the coming f2p code, it's already south, like mexico south.
Lt. Commander
# 30
11-19-2011, 12:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by genxcraig View Post
With the coming f2p code, it's already south, like mexico south.
I agree, my friend. I also fear the banhammer is magically gonna start coming down on many the long-time poster and subscriber who knows what the score is and speaks on it. I think PW is gonna come hard to eliminate any negative feedback soon.