Lt. Commander
Cyptic, yall have claimed that the current incarnation of crafting wasn't what you really wanted.
Ya'll are doing f2p rebuilds and whatnot this is your chance to make it what you want.
I gotta tell you.... This is ridiculous. You dont save enough on the dilithium costs. The 'discount' is a joke.
the controlling factor on crafting has always been the mats. You had to do the exploration stuff to get the loot.
Ive never had a problem with needing to do pvp for the pvp loot (x3 cap shields) or Doing explorations for crafting gear.
Changing out dilithium for 'unreplicatable materials' so that fleet crafters can craft for others only addresses one issue.
I said it earlier and Ill say it again. I have a lifetime sub. The crafting system alone is enough is to make me wanna play something else.
You have made crafting so effing expensive that I cant afford to craft for my alts much less my fleet.

Ya'll are shooting yourselves in the foot (both feet for that matter).
Call me a hater if you want... Yall ask for feedback and I'm giving it to you. Your current crafting system (unreplicatable materials and all) is a serious source of irritation for me as a player.

Edit:
In an effort to be constructive...
Ive posted this before buts its been a year or more.
Import CO's crafting system... I disagree with the costs but thats me.
Make a crafting system where you add the trait of your choice. each addition gets more expensive.
Remove the dilithium unreplicatable materials costs.
Lt. Commander
# 2
11-19-2011, 08:05 AM
I would love to be able to custom craft bonuses. Awesome. Loot Rares and Very Rares for te quality only, then have to craft in bonuses limited in number by the quality of item. Got a favorite VR Rifle, craft in [Dmg}x3, get tired of that, take out [Dmg]x3 and craft in [CrtH]x2 and [CrtD], using the same rifle just craft in the mods.
Lt. Commander
# 3
11-19-2011, 12:44 PM
Yeah, it would be nice if we could tweak what we're creating. I'd also love to see more craftable items that can't be found anywhere else. Or rare schematics that can be found. However I am fine with the discount, I believe it's 40%? That's a very sweet amount of discount when I go shopping. :p
Lt. Commander
# 4
11-19-2011, 01:33 PM
Default Crafting - you cant tell but I'm rolling my eyes
Cyptic, yall have claimed that the current incarnation of crafting wasn't what you really wanted.
Ya'll are doing f2p rebuilds and whatnot this is your chance to make it what you want.
I gotta tell you.... This is ridiculous. You dont save enough on the dilithium costs. The 'discount' is a joke.
the controlling factor on crafting has always been the mats. You had to do the exploration stuff to get the loot.
Ive never had a problem with needing to do pvp for the pvp loot (x3 cap shields) or Doing explorations for crafting gear.
Changing out dilithium for 'unreplicatable materials' so that fleet crafters can craft for others only addresses one issue.
I said it earlier and Ill say it again. I have a lifetime sub. The crafting system alone is enough is to make me wanna play something else.
You have made crafting so effing expensive that I cant afford to craft for my alts much less my fleet.

Ya'll are shooting yourselves in the foot (both feet for that matter).
Call me a hater if you want... Yall ask for feedback and I'm giving it to you. Your current crafting system (unreplicatable materials and all) is a serious source of irritation for me as a player.

JoJo..wonderfully stated,,the new "crafting" with it's "unreplicable materials" is more than a joke because atleast a joke you can laugh at...it is down right B.S and I too am discouraged from even playing by it...I am also a lifetime sub, and it's greed driven moves that are labeled as "new formats" or worse "upgrades" that make me want my dam money back!! Really Cryptic!!?? All the extra dilithium needed to craft the best stuff wasn't enough on top of having to play for weeks just to acrue enough dilithium to be able to get a whole set of something??? Now you demand we spend even more time playing to get even MORE dilithium to turn in for unreplicable materials??? Why the !@# can't we disassemble items for parts yet if you guy are going to go the absolute greed driven route on us?? Answer that one for me!
Lt. Commander
# 5
11-19-2011, 02:32 PM
I'd actually be okay with this if there was a way to collect the unreplicatable materials instead of having to trade in dilithium only.
Lt. Commander
# 6
11-19-2011, 06:52 PM
It's said somewhere else as well: spending any kind of currency in the crafting process defeats the whole purpose of crafting. The idea of crafting allows you to create/build/make (whatever you call it) equipment, gear etc without having to spend any currency (in-game or otherwise). Having to spend thousands of Dillithium to buy these ******n "unreplicatable materials" to craft something is just the last straw for me.

I'm a Lifer so I'm in the fortunate position that this game isn't going to cost me any more money. (I have no intention of buying C-Points) But once this goes to holodeck, why would I want to keep on playing? I can't craft anything decent unless I grind to get this stupid Dillithium. The 400 CP Stipend will barely cover the cost of the "unreplicatable materials" needed to build any Mk X gear. And the game experience isn't enticing enough either. I've level 4 toons to VA on Holodeck already.

If Cryptic really want to keep the Dillithium disaster, stick to buying and selling CP's. Keep it out of the crafting and leave crafting as it is. Is ginding enough having to get all the data samples to build the high-end stuff. Adding this Dillithium and "unreplicatable materials" disaster to it just made it near impossible. Either that, or give more Dillithium in missions (player and DOFFs') because the paultry amount you give out now isn't even worth the bother.

And don't use the argument that "we want players to feel like they've achieved something" with all the hard work to get the high-end stuff. STF's already do that. Players like me don't play STF's so that gear is already out of my reach anyway.

Get it right, Cryptic, or say goodbye to your subscribers cos the Lifers ain't gonna give you more money by buying CP. Good luck keeping the game going from the F2P players.

There. I've said my peace.
Lt. Commander
# 7
11-19-2011, 07:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by G0tchas View Post
If Cryptic really want to keep the Dillithium disaster, stick to buying and selling CP's. Keep it out of the crafting and leave crafting as it is. Is ginding enough having to get all the data samples to build the high-end stuff. Adding this Dillithium and "unreplicatable materials" disaster to it just made it near impossible. Either that, or give more Dillithium in missions (player and DOFFs') because the paultry amount you give out now isn't even worth the bother.

And don't use the argument that "we want players to feel like they've achieved something" with all the hard work to get the high-end stuff. STF's already do that. Players like me don't play STF's so that gear is already out of my reach anyway.

Get it right, Cryptic, or say goodbye to your subscribers cos the Lifers ain't gonna give you more money by buying CP. Good luck keeping the game going from the F2P players.

There. I've said my peace.
Big fat +1. Dilithium in crafting is BS. Crafting was enough of a grind in the first place.
Lt. Commander
# 8
11-19-2011, 08:31 PM
Setting aside the other arguments I would like to focus on why I strongly dislike the crafting...It's just plain simple and boring. I would much rather see items being built from parts and with bonuses for the specific careers. By this I mean a tactical officer would be more inclined to succeed in putting together a phaser pistol from scratch, which leads to my next big gripe...no chance of failure=skills mean diddly squat.

Dilithium: Hmm, been thinking about this one and I like using it and streamlining all the ridiculous medals and whatnot but for my money it is being misused. For instance I think it should be used to maintain ships, not buy them. I would make it a big part of doff assignments and crafting where it makes sense...I could buy that you may need a large amount of dilithium for an Engineer to complete an engine but if that engine has no chance of being different (rare skill mods, powers, etc.) then that becomes a problem as well because...

With the amount of work you put in to be able to make high-end stuff, you have already reached a level where that stuff is basically worthless. Think about this, where the game is at now, I don't even bother putting blue Mk X items on exchange and matter of fact I would rather get a blue Mk VI sniper rifle then a blue Mk X of the same item.

I have been playing since beta testing so I've seen every twist and tweak but you guys have to face facts, that you keep putting band-aids on a system that everybody hates. It needs to go.

Way to go on Duty Officers, the best addition to the game since Featured Episodes! I know off topic but wanted to go out on good note.
Lt. Commander
# 9
11-20-2011, 10:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by G0tchas View Post
It's said somewhere else as well: spending any kind of currency in the crafting process defeats the whole purpose of crafting. The idea of crafting allows you to create/build/make (whatever you call it) equipment, gear etc without having to spend any currency (in-game or otherwise).
~facepalm~

Every MMO I've ever played there is always a cost for crafting. Either learning the recipes, buying required materials from vendors or an auction, etc. It's never as simple as just making something from scratch or for free. STO also happens to have the simplist and most straight-forward crafting system I've ever encountered. Beside that, it's also the easiest to level, easiest and quickest to collect materials (which are largely inexpensive compared to other games), and time taken to craft top level, best you can make, gear. Which also is nearly worthless to sell to others considering how easy they are to make and how many maxed crafters there are (because it's simple, quick to max out). Simply the materials cost as much or more than what the item is worth.

None of this makes for a healthy or sensible economy. An economy we're used to, sure, but that doesn't make it a good one.
Lt. Commander
# 10
11-20-2011, 11:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallytcw View Post
Big fat +1. Dilithium in crafting is BS. Crafting was enough of a grind in the first place.
I dunno where you got idea from. Most people disagree that crafting is already a grind. Even if it were, there should be a penalty for being able to craft green/blue/purple items "for free" if you honestly believed that. There is absolutely no reason at all you should be able to go from new character to crafting a MK 11 item in a day or two regardless though.