Go Back   Star Trek Online > Test Servers > Tribble - General Discussion and Feedback
Login

Lt. Commander
The recent trouble with Stop the Signal highlights an incredible weakness in the gameplay structure offered on tribble f2p build atm.

It would appear to me that if this remains the way it is then Cryptic is potentialyl taking a huge risk on discontent if a bug appears in any episodic chain content that prevents the chain advancing forward due to not being able to complete the episode as this severly stunts the leveling of the player and their options to level when there is a block in the chain.

I can see new players getting really confussed and the old guard even more grumpy. ^^

More flexibility needed on progression rather than railway linear high risk change. Unless ofc Cryptic can guarantee bug free episodic chains whenever a new build is delivered onto Holo.

Apologies to all and sundry "use the search" pedantic grumpy folks if someone has already commented about this, glad your reading my comments anyways. :p
Lt. Commander
# 2
10-04-2011, 07:30 AM
I agree that there needs to be a way to 'skip' broken, or just plain unpleasant missions (I'm looking at YOU taskforce Hipocrattes). But even with that, the interface IS nicer than what was in before.
Lt. Commander
# 3
10-04-2011, 07:36 AM
I agree that it seems like they can offer the helpful feature of chaining on the Episodes screen and highlight the current mission on your "agenda" on the Overview, but still allow missions to unlock freely by level and just show all unlocked missions on the Available screen. If you think of Available as "Expert Mode," then this should make sense even to new players. The main and first thing new players will see is the simple, linear itinerary planned for them, and they can follow it easily; and those who want to step off the path or who have been down it already can go straight to Available and pick what they want.

Making the agenda more obvious is a great change. Forcing people to follow it is not, for the main reason that a broken mission breaks the whole game, but also because it's just not needed in order to get the benefit of a more helpful itinerary for new players, and a lot of people will viciously dislike it.
Lt. Commander
# 4
10-04-2011, 07:46 AM
This is a huge risk, I know alot of people including myself who got stuck on Stop the Signal and suddenly their trek forward came to a grinding halt. The only option is grind in the nebula because there is NO WAY to proceed forward in the main storyline. That is not fun and shows why Main Missions should not be able to lock players out and why Leveling up and returning to a mission that gave trouble is a VIABLE and NEEDED function.

While I know some people like level scaling, perhaps Tie it into the Reply Mission system? But leave the first time you do the mission NON scaled.

That seems like it'd be a good compromise.
Lt. Commander
# 5
10-04-2011, 08:32 AM
After my 4th try I got the dreadnought down to 62 percent while the Klingon ships were dealing with the frigates, then all of a sudden, poof,both Klingon ships just vanished. When I checked on them, they were at 82 and 90 percent health.

Think I would of destroyed it if I didn't have starter gear and rank LT. 7
Lt. Commander
# 6
10-04-2011, 08:44 AM
I agree that the new linear episode progression can be a very bad thing. One broken mission blocks the entire chain. Even if they clear up the existing bugs in a timely manner, new bugs can crop up in any major update, and it can take time to fix them. This can end up making a lot of players very frustrated.
Lt. Commander
# 7
10-04-2011, 09:40 AM
I ran into this last night. What a pain. However, I did get it completed with the help of one single person. So while it's not that broken, I hope they fix it soon.
Lt. Commander
# 8
10-04-2011, 10:36 AM
I tried it and got my butt kicked. So I decided to level up a bit and try it again. Yea... that didn't work. Luckily by that point groups had started forming around the mission start, groups designed to just do the last part, so I got in one of those to get through it.

It was WAY to hard. I don't disagree with missions that hard being in the game, but don't make them a show stopper for the progression of the character. There should be a way around those mission till you get the support or desire to go back and do them with friends. This is an issue of the linear progression system.
Lt. Commander
# 9
10-04-2011, 10:39 AM
I would appreciate the ability to be able to skip missions, or at-least once I'm high enough level, be able to move on to the next episode 'series', AKA just stop doing my cardassian front quest-line and move on to the borg line if I hit the appropriate rank. That way I can just come back and finish the Cardassian-line when I feel like it.
Lt. Commander
# 10
10-04-2011, 11:09 AM
We have tuned the difficulty of some of the problem encounters, including the one in Stop the Signal. This change will likely be in a patch later this week. Let us know how it works after the change, and if you find any of the other episodes excessively difficult.