Lt. Commander
The Traits BOff's Should Actually Have Based On Their Actions
  • Restless Legs: Officers with this trait find it difficult to stand still. After approximately 3 seconds of standing in one location, a Restless Leg officer will sprint off in a random direction without so much as a 'by your leave', even if doing so results in harm or death for the officer (such as running into lava pits, for example). They will continue to run around aimlessly until their commanding officer begins moving again, though by that point they may well be minutes away at a dead run. A head count prior to entering combat is recommended for CO's with Restless Leg underlings.
  • Callous: Coldness and lack of empathy are the hallmarks of a Callous officer. While they may seem fine in normal shipboard duties, on away missions they can display an astonishing lack of concern for fallen comrades and will often not lift a finger to help unconscious teammates.
  • ADHD: The Attention Deficit officer has great difficulty focusing on a task, even while in combat. The telltale sign of officers with this trait is when they fire a minigun on full-auto, dispatch their target, then turn about and wander around while still firing. Fortunately, Starfleet has installed friendly-fire inhibitors (and the KDF has stolen designs for them) that prevents such activity from wiping out entire away teams.
  • Cataleptic: These officers exhibit occasional bouts of catalepsy, where they will stop for no apparent reason and cease responding to external stimuli. They can occasionally be snapped out of it by their CO ordering them to rally to a specific spot. Other times, the CO may need to beam back to the ship with the unresponsive officers.
  • Pyro-fascination: Officers with this psychological trait seem fascinated by fire, particularly plasma fire. If they encounter a plasma fire they will immerse themselves in the flames, often crouching down in it, seemingly reveling in the conflagration even as it burns them alive. This trait is difficult to detect until it manifests as the characteristic self-destructive behavior. CO's are encouraged to keep a fire extinguisher on their person at all times because of this trait.
  • Addict: Officers with the Addict trait are compelled to use their consumable gear, typically hypos or power cells, as often as they can even when it is unnecessary (i.e., they are uninjured or combat is not imminent). Once identified, officers with this trait should be kept away from the objects of their compulsion until absolutely necessary.
  • Walking on Rails: This trait manifests as a seeming inability to negotiate corners, support beams, doorways, or other irrelevant piece of decoration as if the officer could not simply walk around the obstacle. These poor souls will stop, immobilized, until their CO returns to them and demonstrates that the piece of architecture they are thwarted by can easily be avoided. Surprisingly, this trait manifests in all species, not just Pakleds.
  • Gung-NO!!!: This trait, often called 'Suicidal', is easily identified. The officer with it will run off, alone, towards the nearest enemy group. What they are thinking is a mystery. These officers also tend to have the Pyro-fascination trait, as well (see above).

I'm sure I've missed some of the wacky behavior demonstrated time and again by our lovable BOff's. Feel free to add to the list.

Cryptic, this is a not-so-subtle hint that many of these BOff-isms have existed since launch and some have gotten worse post-S4. I have seen all of the above "traits" first hand (multiple times) over my time playing STO. Since BOff's are a large part of our character I strongly suggest you spend some time fixing these 'WTF' behaviors. If freepers have to keep going back in a map to corral their recalcitrant BOff's because they can't all walk through a door, they're probably not going to stick around long.

Z
Lt. Commander
# 2
11-19-2011, 02:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zordar View Post
The Traits BOff's Should Actually Have Based On Their Actions
  • Restless Legs: Officers with this trait find it difficult to stand still. After approximately 3 seconds of standing in one location, a Restless Leg officer will sprint off in a random direction without so much as a 'by your leave', even if doing so results in harm or death for the officer (such as running into lava pits, for example). They will continue to run around aimlessly until their commanding officer begins moving again, though by that point they may well be minutes away at a dead run. A head count prior to entering combat is recommended for CO's with Restless Leg underlings.
  • Callous: Coldness and lack of empathy are the hallmarks of a Callous officer. While they may seem fine in normal shipboard duties, on away missions they can display an astonishing lack of concern for fallen comrades and will often not lift a finger to help unconscious teammates.
  • ADHD: The Attention Deficit officer has great difficulty focusing on a task, even while in combat. The telltale sign of officers with this trait is when they fire a minigun on full-auto, dispatch their target, then turn about and wander around while still firing. Fortunately, Starfleet has installed friendly-fire inhibitors (and the KDF has stolen designs for them) that prevents such activity from wiping out entire away teams.
  • Cataleptic: These officers exhibit occasional bouts of catalepsy, where they will stop for no apparent reason and cease responding to external stimuli. They can occasionally be snapped out of it by their CO ordering them to rally to a specific spot. Other times, the CO may need to beam back to the ship with the unresponsive officers.
  • Pyro-fascination: Officers with this psychological trait seem fascinated by fire, particularly plasma fire. If they encounter a plasma fire they will immerse themselves in the flames, often crouching down in it, seemingly reveling in the conflagration even as it burns them alive. This trait is difficult to detect until it manifests as the characteristic self-destructive behavior. CO's are encouraged to keep a fire extinguisher on their person at all times because of this trait.
  • Addict: Officers with the Addict trait are compelled to use their consumable gear, typically hypos or power cells, as often as they can even when it is unnecessary (i.e., they are uninjured or combat is not imminent). Once identified, officers with this trait should be kept away from the objects of their compulsion until absolutely necessary.
  • Walking on Rails: This trait manifests as a seeming inability to negotiate corners, support beams, doorways, or other irrelevant piece of decoration as if the officer could not simply walk around the obstacle. These poor souls will stop, immobilized, until their CO returns to them and demonstrates that the piece of architecture they are thwarted by can easily be avoided. Surprisingly, this trait manifests in all species, not just Pakleds.
  • Gung-NO!!!: This trait, often called 'Suicidal', is easily identified. The officer with it will run off, alone, towards the nearest enemy group. What they are thinking is a mystery. These officers also tend to have the Pyro-fascination trait, as well (see above).

I'm sure I've missed some of the wacky behavior demonstrated time and again by our lovable BOff's. Feel free to add to the list.

Cryptic, this is a not-so-subtle hint that many of these BOff-isms have existed since launch and some have gotten worse post-S4. I have seen all of the above "traits" first hand (multiple times) over my time playing STO. Since BOff's are a large part of our character I strongly suggest you spend some time fixing these 'WTF' behaviors. If freepers have to keep going back in a map to corral their recalcitrant BOff's because they can't all walk through a door, they're probably not going to stick around long.

Z
Thank you for this. It has been some time since I've been given such a chuckle. One has to wonder if the programmers have watched one too many Beavis & Butthead episodes? If your away team would only burst into laughter: "Heh heh heh..." & "Huh huh huh..." , when exibiting these traits, the effect would be complete.

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ld...qhzto1_250.gif

http://sharetv.org/images/guide/128038.jpg

Some additional dialogue for some of these could be:

Quote:
[*] Callous:
(Butthead) "Huh huh huh... The Captain is dead... Huh huh huh... That's cool... Huh huh huh"

Quote:
[*] Pyro-fascination:
(Beavis) :Fire!!!... Fire!!... Yeah... Heh heh heh..."

Quote:
[*] Addict:
<insert your own favorite Cornholio sequence here>

Quote:
[*] Cataleptic:
(Butthead) "Huh huh huh... This map is stupid... Huh huh huh"

These are just some of the inner dialogues I mentally insert to keep myself from being too upset by them.
Lt. Commander
# 3
11-20-2011, 06:38 AM
Getting-In-Your-Way-Itis: The bridge officer will, when in combat or out of battle, do his best to get in the captains way. He will walk infront of a console you need to interact with, or get between you and an enemy you need to click on or shoot. While not an actual hinderance, Getting-in-your-way-itis is a huge annoyance!
Lt. Commander
# 4
11-21-2011, 04:48 AM
Over-Protectiveness: An engineering trait. The Officer i nquestion has the unresistable need to put up a cover shield in front of his CO at the exact moment the CO lines up a perfectly aimed and deadly sniper kill shot resulting in the enemy not being exposed anymore once the CO can get around the shield assuming he is not stuck IN the shield.
In addition the officer booby traps the CO by laying a minefield around his captain to make sure the enemy explodes right on top of the captain instead of putting them up at a bottleneck like a door frame or on a bridge.
Lt. Commander
# 5
11-25-2011, 01:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zordar View Post
[*] Addict: Officers with the Addict trait are compelled to use their consumable gear, typically hypos or power cells, as often as they can even when it is unnecessary (i.e., they are uninjured or combat is not imminent). Once identified, officers with this trait should be kept away from the objects of their compulsion until absolutely necessary.
THIS. Good god, I HATE it when they do that. Sometimes, mine will continue to burn through weapon power cells even after I have ordered them to put their weapons away.

Edited to add: I've also observed group OCD. About once every 4-6 hours of game time, my boffs will get into a cycle where they all perform CPR, one by one, in order, over and over again. This happens even when the toon in question is back on his or her feet. They seem to persist until given a specific order to do something else, but even beaming out won't stop them (they're still trying to do it even during beamout).

First rule of CPR: when the victim is standing up, conscious and talking, you can quit with the artificial respiration and the chest compressions.