Lt. Commander
# 1 November 17 - Changes to ESD
11-17-2011, 06:22 PM
I could do without the "Hotel signs" they look very unofficial compared to the old signs.

Shipyard:

Shipyard Customization, ship needs to be in the center.

Consoles are within consoles and looks half-a...well like someone didn't care.

NPC Vendors:

Many having White Boxes over their heads.

Promotion Area:

Missing Staricase makes it uneven, art team really needs to redo that entire area.

STF Vendors:

Stuck in a loop and only way to exit the vendors is clicking on the Top Right - Key.
Lt. Commander
# 2
11-17-2011, 06:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azurian View Post
I could do without the cheap Hotel signs that looked like a 7 year old drew them.

Shipyard:

Shipyard Customization, ship needs to be in the center.

Consoles are within consoles and looks half-a...well like someone didn't care.

NPC Vendors:

Many having White Boxes over their heads.

Promotion Area:

Missing Staricase makes it uneven, art team really needs to redo that entire area.

STF Vendors:

Stuck in a loop and only way to exit the vendors is clicking on the Top Right - Key.
Thomas TC made the new icons...

I'm sure he's kinda proud of them... Lets not be too harsh, shall we??

Though they do leave a lot to be desired.

I like the stateroom the way it is now... Kinda opens up the whole area.

Perhaps it needs a couple of Balcony boxes on the one side now.
Lt. Commander
# 3
11-17-2011, 06:49 PM
I don't think the location icons deserve such a harsh comment. They are well done, but they don't fit at all. They are the wrong style for the setting of ESD. They would probably fit the general setting and atmosphere better on Risa at a resort or something.

What I like about them, however is the way they stick out and flicker, i think that is nice, but would definitely look better with a sharper, no-nonsense art style. I remember looking at the interact icons at the bank/mail and thinking how that kind of sharpness and style would be better for the ESD location icons than their current style.

The map icons for the various vendors and services could use a similar treatment, though I'm not sure I care as much about them as the location icons on the walls.
Lt. Commander
# 4
11-17-2011, 06:49 PM
I'm sorry if it insulted Thomas, but I'm not going to sugar coat things. To me the old signs were much more Starfleet, while the new ones are more what you see downtown.

As for the Stateroom, might as well move that down to StarFleet Academy since it's an auditorium setting. And repurpose that area for something else, like a real Medical Center than the closet by Admin.
Lt. Commander
# 5
11-17-2011, 06:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azurian View Post
I'm sorry if it insulted Thomas, but I'm not going to sugar coat things. To me the old signs were much more Starfleet, while the new ones are more what you see downtown.

As for the Stateroom, might as well move that down to StarFleet Academy since it's an auditorium setting. And repurpose that area for something else, like a real Medical Center than the closet by Admin.
Wasn't saying you should sugar coat things... just remember there's folks with feelings at the other end..

Though I whole heartedly agree with your sentiment about the icons, the way you edited the post is much more agreeable.

Having an actual Medical Center on ESD is a Great Idea.

I agree with that suggestion also.
Lt. Commander
# 6
11-17-2011, 07:12 PM
A lot of the new icons are way too cartoony. I can't accept that Starfleet would actually put something like that up on the wall. The art style needs to take into account the illusion that this is a real organization. The ship yard icon in particular, I think just looks ridiculous. It's not so much that the icons are bad, but some of them belong in Champions online, not Star Trek.

In general, we need icons more reminiscent of what would be seen in an Okudagram. It would be better to just have monchrome bluish icons with black background. It would fit better.

Some of the icons are OK, such as the Admiral, Transporter, Sickbay, State Room. Shipyard and Requisitions are really bad. The others are somewhere in the middle, but mostly passable.

The arrow icons look very out of place to me. They are way too bright and gaudy. I don't feel they match Star Trek decor at all. It would be an improvement just to remove the arrows and center the icons over the door. I think it's pretty obvious that the things over the door indicate what is through the door, the arrow is unnecessary.

On the connecting sections of the station (between each quadrant), having two icons above two other icons looks really bad. I suggest only having the two that are through the nearby door on the wall, and removing the ones that are for the far door. It's obvious if what you want isn't through that door, that you need to try the other one. And, in the worst case scenario if someone gets lost they'll still reach their destination eventually, so it's not that important.

I don't like how some of the parts of the station are now lit so dimly either. It was better before. I don't understand why that was changed.
Lt. Commander
# 7
11-17-2011, 07:23 PM
I agree...

The new signs for what is where, (sorry Thomas) are a bit hideous. I feel like I am 4 years old and in a kid's game. I'm not trying to be overly critical, but I am just describing what I thought when I saw them the first time.
Lt. Commander
# 8
11-17-2011, 07:29 PM
Overall I think I agree that the original icons were better. They didn't grab your attention, but that's a good thing. Sometimes less is more.

I'm not sure I even agree that the icons need to be more noticeable. However, if that's the goal, this is taking it way too far from what would fly in the ST universe.
Lt. Commander
# 9
11-17-2011, 07:34 PM
I'm sorry.... but they are terrible... put some of it back... not all of it.

Keep the new lighting.. keep some of the holographic emblems that are on the walls....

### The stuff over the doors or to the left or right... TRASH IT ###
Put the old stuff back or work from the old stuff and make that better. What's their now is NOT Trek...

The icons over the vendors are ok... but they should be reduced in size... If feel like this is MS Windows in high contrast mode for nearly blind people... its terrible

Did J-Man get to see this before it hit tribble!?!?!!? I sure hope the answer is no....
Lt. Commander
# 10
11-17-2011, 08:13 PM
I like the idea, but not the execution. The icons the way they are now don't fit; even the font choice is bad. Polish these up with better detailing; they honestly look like they were rushed.