Lt. Commander
With Guild Wars 2 and SWTOR relasing soon, I don't believe we will see a large jump in numbers when the game goes to F2P. Just my opinion. What does everyone else think?
Lt. Commander
# 2
11-23-2011, 07:04 AM
This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Cryptic Studios Community Rules and Policies. ~Q
Lt. Commander
# 3
11-23-2011, 07:17 AM
I think there will be plenty. You dont even need them all in the first month either. If a lot turn up in six months or a year thats fine too.

i doubt the masses care about the drama that is been going on in the forums. most wont read it or even realise what the problems are. they may not even see them as problems as they have a fresh perspective.

its true that some players have turned away potential subscribers. more players is only ever going to be a good thing for the game and if people want to shot themselves in the foot by actively turning people away new paying customers rather than trying to encourage them to try it and make up their own mind then so be it. i doubt it will make a massive impact.
Lt. Commander
# 4
11-23-2011, 07:19 AM
I think they are timing F2P launch well. Around a month after TOR's release means that the 'free' month will be coming to a close for people who bought the game then decided they were disappointed in it. Thos people will be looking for other games, and if they spot STO's new F2P system, they could be tempted to come and chack it out, especially if they are looking for another sci-fi MMO to play.

I am expecting quite a few Star Wars fans to go look at TOR and decide that it isn't true to the Star Wars ethos. That is my opinion on the game, and I've not even played it.

GW2 is still touted as 'Coming Soon', so far as I know, and has no official release date.
Lt. Commander
# 5
11-23-2011, 07:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexraptor View Post
I think Cryptic is shooting themselves in the foot by continuously shafting their existing playerbase with the new F2P changes.
Many of us have already deterred and turned away a lot of potential subscribers and free players, and will most likely continue to do so if things don't improve.
This.

Unlike the OP I actually believe that there WILL be a lot of new players.

But Cryptic is under the missconception that those new players will come in with their wallets ready no burn the C-store empty, but that wont happen.
The people who are WILLING to play something for that game are already here and get shaftet by cryptic more and more, and more and more of THEM are leaving.
The f2p guys will come in for exactly that reason: Playing for free. They have to be convinced to invest money... either with a good game - wich STO currently IS NOT, and/or incentives to purchase.

But.... getting back to one of my major complains... the new people wont be gold users. The first problem they will run into where they feel the actaul NEED to pay something are respecs, and as soon as they see the price-tag on that lot of them will leave for a better game...
..nobody starts to invest 1600 cp for a ship knowing that the build sucks and that they cant fly any ship efficiently.
And I dont think anybody will start to invest THAT amount of money in a respec.... So with the respec-issue cryptic damages itsself more then anything.
Lt. Commander
# 6
11-23-2011, 07:25 AM
You don't think people will download and try a game for free rather than buy a game, and maybe pay a sub?
Lt. Commander
# 7
11-23-2011, 07:32 AM
We'll get a lot of people that wanted to try STO but didn't want to buy it.

Also there is a large number of people that play an MMO only if it is F2P.

Granted a lot of these are kids that don't have access to credit cards and/or their parents won't let them use theirs.

There will be a population boost over the first few months of the new year. Whether or not they stay...only time and content will tell.
Lt. Commander
# 8
11-23-2011, 07:39 AM
There will certainly be a large influx of new players. DC Universe Online, for example, attracted 1 million new players in one week - 50% of that on PS3, 50% on PC. 120,000 of those new PC players joined within 24 hours of the game going F2P.
Lt. Commander
# 9
11-23-2011, 07:40 AM
There will most definitely be a huge population increase; there is no doubt about that. The real question is how many will stay and how much money will they spend.
Lt. Commander
# 10
11-23-2011, 07:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staran View Post
You don't think people will download and try a game for free rather than buy a game, and maybe pay a sub?
More players doesn't automatically mean more money for Cryptic in the long run.