Lt. Commander
# 11
11-23-2011, 07:46 AM
Tossing this out there too... what are the odds that Cryptic won't purge the forums and start from scratch? Clear the air so to speak.
Lt. Commander
# 12
11-23-2011, 07:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHARKFORCE View Post
More players doesn't automatically mean more money for Cryptic in the long run.
Maybe not, but it does mean more possibility of getting that money.
Lt. Commander
# 13
11-23-2011, 07:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bort1980 View Post
Maybe not, but it does mean more possibility of getting that money.
Just to repeat myself: If they would want to spend money on this game they would be already here. The new guys are here to play for free... And Cryptic needs to convince them to spend money. And with the current C-Store they are doing that very well.
Lt. Commander
# 14
11-23-2011, 07:55 AM
Do you guys remember back in 2010 Cryptic declaring there were a million accounts registered? Now, think about those million accounts being able to play either STO or CO or even both, for free?

So that's 1,000,000 potential players. Now, 10% of those players is 100,000. And if those players buy approximately 1,200 Cryptic Points per month (that's $15 per month) that's already $1,500,000.

Free-to-Play game sometimes convince the players to buy more than $15 per month worth. That's why the model works and so, it's highly likely that since CO is doing quite well, the combined spending in both CO and STO (once STO goes F2P) will hold the weight of both games and then some.

I think STO won't disappear and Cryptic won't be forced to shut it down.
Lt. Commander
# 15
11-23-2011, 07:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprint01
Tossing this out there too... what are the odds that Cryptic won't purge the forums and start from scratch? Clear the air so to speak.
that's not gonna happen... Cryptic have way more sense than that...

F2P will in no doubt bring a mass influx of much needed new blood, then its up to cryptic to keep them here and paying with lots of new things to see n do with lots of toys to play with.
Lt. Commander
# 16
11-23-2011, 07:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evra
With Guild Wars 2 and SWTOR relasing soon, I don't believe we will see a large jump in numbers when the game goes to F2P. Just my opinion. What does everyone else think?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexraptor View Post
I think Cryptic is shooting themselves in the foot by continuously shafting their existing playerbase with the new F2P changes.
Many of us have already deterred and turned away a lot of potential subscribers and free players, and will most likely continue to do so if things don't improve.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
There will most definitely be a huge population increase; there is no doubt about that. The real question is how many will stay and how much money will they spend.
^ These.

I believe for an X amount of time STO will see a nice boost, then after things settle down, one will see people leave more than stay.
Lt. Commander
# 17
11-23-2011, 08:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by washproof View Post
that's not gonna happen... Cryptic have way more sense than that...

F2P will in no doubt bring a mass influx of much needed new blood, then its up to cryptic to keep them here and paying with lots of new things to see n do with lots of toys to play with.
One of the biggest gripes on the forums is that it's at the expense of the current players.
Lt. Commander
# 18
11-23-2011, 08:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHARKFORCE View Post
More players doesn't automatically mean more money for Cryptic in the long run.
It also doesn't mean less.
History shows that in all mmos that go fp2, they get more ppl and more money. That doesn't mean sto will. But it isn't proof of the opposite.
Lt. Commander
# 19
11-23-2011, 08:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenor-Nyiad View Post
^ These.

I believe for an X amount of time SSTO will see a nice boost, then after things settle down, one will see people leave more than stay.
^ This right here. It's also why most of the good stuff is being moved behind the F2P firewall.
Lt. Commander
# 20
11-23-2011, 08:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprint01
Minimal at best. If that happens, every negative -- and many neutral, and even some positive -- voice that is speaking right now will be screaming unholy murder not only in the 'new' forums but in the game where they can interact with silver players, and pretty soon it will become impossible to throw a tribble without hitting someone who has heard that Cryptic wiped the forums or someone who was there. It will be called something dramatic like 'The Great Silencing' (c.f. "Don't quell me, bro!" and "Slapped under the bus.") Massively and a couple of other sites will pick it up and the commments sections will explode, with a few 'Well, the forum posters had it coming,' and a lot more 'Not cool, Cryptic.'

In short, it would be the absolute worst PR move Cryptic could take. Better to let the people who are dead-set on 'hating' stay in the forums and eventually let them infract themselves into a ban, or let them get bored and move on.

So, yeah, I don't think that'll happen. =)