Lt. Commander
Hey all

In Star Trek the borg have been an ominous, dangerous, threatening enemy... even in Voyager

But now there are tons of missions against the borg...

Its like the whole game has just become Star Trek the Borg War

This makes the borg less special, and frankly, just annoying.

Anyone else feel this way?
Lt. Commander
# 2
11-23-2011, 08:01 PM
Not at all. Lot of fun. Can't wait until it shows up on holodeck next week.
Lt. Commander
# 3
11-23-2011, 08:08 PM
I have to second this, the borg arent even really a threat, they're just no fun to fight thanks to that adaptive feature they have now, forcing the combat to slow down while you recalibrate your weapons.
Being assimilated, fair enough, but the weapon/shield adaptions are a pain, especialy if you like rapid fire weapons like the miniguns, each individual round seems to count toward the adaption limit to me, so you can get off maybe 8-10 shots with a pistol, or one or two minugun bursts before retuning.

They just dont have the "OH S***!" factor anymore, now its "aww no.....them again?"

Moan over, Borg, just dont like 'em.
Lt. Commander
# 4
11-23-2011, 08:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staran View Post
Not at all. Lot of fun. Can't wait until it shows up on holodeck next week.
Me too, I do enjoy the Borg mission. I've run the STF's so many times I've lost count, and I enjoy the new Borg content on Tribble as well.

The thing I really like about the Borg is that it's best to fight them as a team and actually pick the proper weapons to do so. The borg aren't about solo play where you just rush in and play like any other mission, you should actually plan and work as a team. The fleet I play with does this and a lot of us use sniper and shot guns for these missions, where on regular missions we use rapid fire weapons.
Lt. Commander
# 5
11-23-2011, 10:46 PM
Not to be a downer, but what do you expect?

TV and movie Borg can be bad and scary and ominous because the main characters aren't going to be killed. The hero is just a stroke of a writers pen away from being ok.

In a video game, they have to balance bad, scary, and ominous against being something that can be actually fought and killed by a player without writer-magic to save you.

If they made the Borg as badass as they should be, no one would be able to kill them in game.
Lt. Commander
# 6
11-24-2011, 07:16 AM
Actually I agree. The appearance of the Borg have been improved quite a bit but the feel still falls short. I like that they gave them an over powered torpedo that can one shot through shields (too simplistic but still a step in the right direction) but other than that they haven't even tried to make them the Borg.

All I'm saying is, there are plenty of generic trash mobs all over the game. The Borg could have provided a true challenge with different and FUN game play by simply staying true to the source material. Those instead chose to go the easy, and much more boring route, by making them too common and too easily defeated.

That a single ship can kill a Cube at all is ridiculous, that there are always numerous cubes is even more so. We shouldn't be fighting to destroy the Borg all of the time. We should be fighting to survive them. I know resources aren't limitless and that the game has to appeal to the casual gamer but the Borg could have been made to encourage people to get more involved while letting casual players stick with the other, simpler species.

Personally, I'd rather they left the Borg out of this game all together. At least until they had the time and resources to make them something more like their source material. Something more challenging, interesting, and terrifying.
Lt. Commander
# 7
11-24-2011, 07:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveHale View Post
Actually I agree. The appearance of the Borg have been improved quite a bit but the feel still falls short. I like that they gave them an over powered torpedo that can one shot through shields (too simplistic but still a step in the right direction) but other than that they haven't even tried to make them the Borg.

All I'm saying is, there are plenty of generic trash mobs all over the game. The Borg could have provided a true challenge with different and FUN game play by simply staying true to the source material. Those instead chose to go the easy, and much more boring route, by making them too common and too easily defeated.

That a single ship can kill a Cube at all is ridiculous, that there are always numerous cubes is even more so. We shouldn't be fighting to destroy the Borg all of the time. We should be fighting to survive them. I know resources aren't limitless and that the game has to appeal to the casual gamer but the Borg could have been made to encourage people to get more involved while letting casual players stick with the other, simpler species.

Personally, I'd rather they left the Borg out of this game all together. At least until they had the time and resources to make them something more like their source material. Something more challenging, interesting, and terrifying.
le dat ^

agreed that the borg should have been left for teaming up to kill them not to go around, slaughtering more than 20 cubes in 5 minutes with 5 ships, o,............,o
Lt. Commander
# 8
11-24-2011, 08:49 AM
i would like to see a "friendly" borg faction. now hear me out, one of my favorite voyager episodes was where they found a group of ex-borg, and chakotay had to help em, and the formed the borg cooperative....yeah borg hippies. they could develop into having the link as some sort of religion, and actually ask people to join them...to be a part of a bigger whole...to take away loneliness that comes with individuality. maybe following the storyline, we crush the borg beyond recognition, and they evolve to this state.

this would be a small splinter group, not necessarily a whole faction. i know this would be a repellant idea to a lot of people, but it might prove interesting to have a borg ally affiliation. and it would give RPers that love borg to add an additional level of game interaction for them...or whatever.

as a bonus, they kinda mesh well with the original idea of roddenberry of technology enriching lives instead of destroying it, as the borg are now.
Lt. Commander
# 9
11-24-2011, 08:13 PM
No thank you to pseudo-religious Borg Cylons but appreciate the thought you put into the idea.
Lt. Commander
# 10
11-25-2011, 10:12 AM
All the Borg stuff is boring. They never really moved beyond being a cardboard 2D creation with an irritating one trick pony feel. They're all style (if you can call it that) and no substance. When we finally get more challenges in STO that aren't Borg it'll be a brighter day.