Lt. Commander
# 11
11-25-2011, 11:09 AM
I think this is mostly an issue of STO being easy to begin with. The difficulty slider isn't a good solution since it just really scales up the damage and health of enemies. It doesn't make the more intelligent or give them new abilities to use. Just takes longer to kill them, and since the slider is imperfect, just amplifies the chance of being one shot without anything able to be done about it.

Maybe it's just me but I don't see how anyone could find the current difficult level as enjoyable. I know there are some because it was a hot issue when the Difficulty slider was first being introduced along with a death penalty (which got dropped from Normal difficulty due to player outcries).

At least the Borg have a lot of abilities they use, both in space and on the ground. This makes them a little more of a challenge than any other species-- particularly in STFs which are more difficult to begin with.

I feel its just the symptom of a bigger issue.

As for the ambiance and lack of dread fighting the Borg, I suppose I chalk it up to all the advancements in technology and tactics used to fight the Borg. Cubes aren't as huge a threat as they used to be; the Tactical Cube is essentially what the Cube used to be. Our ships are stronger than they were in the shows, we should be able to put up more of a fight.
Lt. Commander
# 12
11-25-2011, 12:02 PM
ALl of the enmies in all MMO's are shallow, 2 dimentional caricatures of what we would like them to be.

The technology to make them uber, scary awesome does not exist in computer games of any kind. Check back in 10 years. Its being worked on. For now though computer game bad gusy follow scripts and fairly simple commands. They cannot out smart a player. They do not problem solve. For now game devlopers have to make do with scripted behavior and action state triggers for AI behavior. The only thing that would change that in STO would be if the Borg were a player operated faction. STo doesn't have the warm bodies apparently to have 2 healthy factions much less throwing the Borg in as a player faction.

Someday Cryptic MAY figure out how to do a "Monster Play" faction. But right now they just don't know to do it. The studio tried doing it with the KDF faction, Might have worked had it been done right strait off, but it wasn't and KDF players wanted, and still want more.

Maybe someday we can have an actuall Borg "Monster Play" faction. If it ever does happen, it should be a Level cap unlock. Its should be a "Invited to play" faction. ANd it should be a very scary fight with a single borg cube able to take on 5 player operated level capped ships. I can think of several ways to set it up for the "Borg" player.. They would need an entirely different interface... Be more od a CIC sort of interface, assigning weapons to targets, They wouldn't be manuverig per se. The combat interface for a Borg player should literally be.."dehumanized" no space view.. maybe a view screen area so you can watch a chosen target be destroyed.. but mostly a sort of radar display. it would be a mesures, countermesures fight. A Borg player would "micro manage" thier ship, and would need an interface that would allow them to choose the firing mode of every weapon mount, and have direct control over special abilities. A Borg player would have literally awesome amoounts of firepower at thier disposal.

But as far as AI Borg are concerned, the current state of the game is what it is. There really nothing that can be done for it within the current technology.
Lt. Commander
# 13
11-25-2011, 12:18 PM
I'd venture to say that the Borg, as they have appeared in this game, offer neither style nor substance. I've had enough of the Borg in STO too but not because they've been over done. I've had enough because they've been done so very wrong, lol. The lack of technology argument makes no sense either. Lack of resources, possible even the lack of imagination and effort seems far more likely.

Challenging content is out there. Unfortunately, as long as every aspect of this game is meant to cater to the lowest common denominator, and by that I mean the most casual of gamers (and no offense is meant either), we'll never get to enjoy it.
Lt. Commander
# 14
11-25-2011, 12:26 PM
It does seem like there answer to when we run out of content is to slap something with the borg in it together. I would like to see some new non-borg content . The best work they have done so far is Obaseck and the Remens
Lt. Commander
I think this game has worked best when they fixed obvious mistakes that the TV and movies made, rather than copying them. A good example is the work this game has done fixing the obvious plot holes in the recent movie. Thanks the the game we've seen that Nero's ship wasn't exactly a 'simple freighter' and the 'supernova' wasn't your average sub-light natural incident. I'd be happier if the the Changlings and the Borg got similar treatment. The recent changes with the Borg were a step in the wrong direction. We need one of our four precious equipment slots to add a randomizer to our weapons? You've got to be kidding me. A frequency randomizer isn't standard equipment built in to every weapon made by now?! The answer to the Borg is still to run up and hit them with a sword?!?

A race the adapts 100% to any weapon after a few shots is space opera not science fiction. If they made them so they adapt a bit- say the same way we can put on disruptor resistant shields when wen now we're going against Klingons-that would be fine. I'd accept they can fine tune their shields a bit for better resistance. But nothing is free in the universe. They should really take it on the chin if you hit them with something they aren't ready for.

If you keep with the curent system, you're just making starleet look like idiots. Why aren't we using Thompson SMG's as standard issue? If they are that good at energy weapon defense, it's stupid to keep using energy weapons when we do have other options. Bow and arrow anyone?
Lt. Commander
# 16
11-27-2011, 02:00 AM
The problem with the borg is... they didn't adapt, we did.

Hull heals/resists: Check
Hazard Emitters: Check
Tractor Beam Counters: Check
Tactical Team: Check

If the Borg had more abilities than just spamming Borg Shield Neutralizers it would be a lot more interesting and fun. Bring on the assimilated ships from various races.
Lt. Commander
# 17
11-27-2011, 05:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KitsuneRommel
The problem with the borg is... they didn't adapt, we did.

Hull heals/resists: Check
Hazard Emitters: Check
Tractor Beam Counters: Check
Tactical Team: Check

If the Borg had more abilities than just spamming Borg Shield Neutralizers it would be a lot more interesting and fun. Bring on the assimilated ships from various races.
Hell yes! More abilities as their disposal (including regeneration since that's what they do) as well as assimilated ships in place of these cannon fodder Cubes would be a huge step in the right direction.
Lt. Commander
# 18
11-28-2011, 06:35 PM
I don't see how the Borg can be made interesting without removing their cheesy, cheap and gimicky traits. Out with the shield adaptation. Out with the shield neutralizers. Out with the cumbersome and overdone cybernetics.

I'm pretty sure that there is simply no real hope for the Borg unless their forced to finally behave in an intelligent manner and allowed slightly more individuality (even on the level of smaller groups within the collective). We can also do without the silly queen as well since she only really feels like some moustache twirling idiot and actually cheapens the sad two dimensionality of the Borg by behaving as a petty self-important celebrity rather than summing up what they are.
Lt. Commander
# 19
11-28-2011, 07:39 PM
Yes, take away the things that make them the Borg. Then instead of being Borg-like trash mobs they can be even more generic trash mobs, lol.

No, the "cheesy" stuff could be done way better and that would make them much more challenging, more like the IP, and more fun.
Lt. Commander
# 20
11-28-2011, 07:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveHale View Post
Yes, take away the things that make them the Borg. Then instead of being Borg-like trash mobs they can be even more generic trash mobs, lol.

No, the "cheesy" stuff could be done way better and that would make them much more challenging, more like the IP, and more fun.
I contend that the Borg "IP" was crappy to begin with. Their "I'll adapt and things won't hurt me because I don't want 'em to" has a stench similar to the one given off by Deus Ex Machina. It's also similar to the kind of thing little children yell at each other when they pretend play and shoot at arch other. Their superior getup makes them move like Frankensteins and they're pretty tactically stupid for a group that's absorbed the experience, knowledge, technology and wisdom of thousands of advanced species/societies.