Lt. Commander
# 31
12-09-2011, 06:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mister_dee
Preferably one who actually know Star Trek, otherwise the translated versions will end up with new (and possibly valid) new word constructs.
In addition someone who knows Star Trek will know which words not to translate, example:
TNG "Redemption", they translated disruptor as "Unterbrecher"...well this is the correct term but it's also incredibly silly because it sounds like a piece of the ship's engine is broken, noone would ever guess that was a weapon. So in most cases it's not translated and left as "disruptor" (thankfully!).
KRIEGSSCHWALBE!!!!

I shat bricks when iread that in a TNG novel. if thoughts could strangle people....
Lt. Commander
# 32
12-09-2011, 08:37 AM
In the German translation of the Shatner novels, the Romulans have a weapon I never heard of before or since: the "Intervaller", certainly sounds...creative.

And of course there's the infamous translation error from X-Wing vs Tie Fighter:
The Emperor's shuttle is rumored to be equipped with a cloaking device.
translation=>
Gerüchten zufolge besitzt die Fähre des Imperators eine Toiletteneinrichtung.
retranslation=>
The Emperor's shuttle is rumored to be equipped with a toilet facility.

Translator did not know the difference between "cloak" and "cloaca".

I had the German version of that game, a buddy of mine had the English one.
I figured it was a joke when I read the entry in the German game's ship database.
When I looked at entry in his version of the game, I felt my head was about to explode.
Lt. Commander
# 33
12-09-2011, 08:59 PM
Quote:
In the German translation of the Shatner novels, the Romulans have a weapon I never heard of before or since: the "Intervaller", certainly sounds...creative.

And of course there's the infamous translation error from X-Wing vs Tie Fighter:
The Emperor's shuttle is rumored to be equipped with a cloaking device.
translation=>
Gerüchten zufolge besitzt die Fähre des Imperators eine Toiletteneinrichtung.
retranslation=>
The Emperor's shuttle is rumored to be equipped with a toilet facility.

Translator did not know the difference between "cloak" and "cloaca".

I had the German version of that game, a buddy of mine had the English one.
I figured it was a joke when I read the entry in the German game's ship database.
When I looked at entry in his version of the game, I felt my head was about to explode.

You will not stop laughing when you watch TNG Season 1 with the CIC Video Translation Subtitles, not the one used a year later on TV by ZDF or the SAT 1 one.
(can be found on te first german TNG release by CIC Video (VHS) it might be on an alternative Videosharing Plattform)
Lt. Commander
# 34
12-19-2011, 02:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.Blackman
You will not stop laughing when you watch TNG Season 1 with the CIC Video Translation Subtitles, not the one used a year later on TV by ZDF or the SAT 1 one.
(can be found on te first german TNG release by CIC Video (VHS) it might be on an alternative Videosharing Plattform)
They were even worse? Oh my!

But I guess they can never be worse than some of the stuff they did with the TOS translation.

*looking at the blinking Orion ship in "Journey to Babel"*

http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__...scout_ship.jpg

Kirk: "Care to make a guess?"
Spock: "Guess? I shall need further data for my estimate."

only the transaltion of the Spock part is relevant:

"Tja ich weiß nicht Captain, sieht aus wie die Puderdose meiner Mutter"

"I dunno Captain, looks like my mother's powder tin."
Lt. Commander
# 35
12-20-2011, 02:00 AM
Quote:
They were even worse? Oh my!

But I guess they can never be worse than some of the stuff they did with the TOS translation.

*looking at the blinking Orion ship in "Journey to Babel"*

http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__...scout_ship.jpg

Kirk: "Care to make a guess?"
Spock: "Guess? I shall need further data for my estimate."

only the transaltion of the Spock part is relevant:

"Tja ich weiß nicht Captain, sieht aus wie die Puderdose meiner Mutter"

"I dunno Captain, looks like my mother's powder tin."
Actually, this seems like an attempt to make the scene funny. But of course... Spock joking...

it's also funny that the German translation translated Warp occassionally with Sol and later turned around to just calling it Warp. No idea why they would do that.
Lt. Commander
# 36
12-20-2011, 08:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustrumRidcully View Post
Actually, this seems like an attempt to make the scene funny. But of course... Spock joking...
It's something they also did with "The Persuaders!", "Die Zwei" in German, which was supposedly somewhat less amusing in its original version than the rather "relaxed" translation.
I once read an interview with someone who'd handled the translation and from what he said Tony Curtis, who spoke German, loved it.
I think the somewhat odd translation for TOS was okay in some cases and for some characters, like Kirk or Chekov, but with Spock it failed.
It also makes the change from the translation for the shows and the rather serious and remotely accurate translation for the movies rather drastic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustrumRidcully View Post
it's also funny that the German translation translated Warp occassionally with Sol and later turned around to just calling it Warp. No idea why they would do that.
...which has lead to some rather strange conclusions among those who only know the translated bogus.
Imagine: in TOS the translated version called the engines "Sol Drive" and in the first movie the Enterprise is refitted with new engines and suddenly everyone talks about "Warp Drive".
What would be your conclusion?
Let's just say I once read a rather distressed forums post by a young German Star Trek viewer who was totally confused by the fact the the NX-Enterprise was using Warp Drive...over 100 years before Kirk's Enterprise got upgraded from Sol to Warp tech in the first movie...

And I know the feeling, that was what I thought too before I got my first taste of TOS in the original language which must have been around 1996 with the dual language releases fron CIC video.
Lt. Commander
# 37
12-20-2011, 02:37 PM
About the German ToS:

You have to consider the time of the localization. Back then, it was customary to spice up dialogues with humor in order to attract more viewers (please understand that the viewer ship back then was openly more attracted to the funny side of things.). The trios inflated bickering was very endearing and helped make TOS a success over here. Then TNG came and the overall less jovial dub made people shake their heads who only knew the german ToS. Common quote from viewers: "What a bunch of cold, stiff *******s!"
There are Several other Series that got similar treatments, changing them.

For example:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Per...side_UK_and_US
German "Die Zwei"
The Show basically changed in all but the moving pictures. Again to suit the current mindset of the viewer ship.

This line of Dubbing has fortunately long fallen out of practice, leaving us just with simply "bad" localization jobs (and even those now commonly come down to "i know the original and all this sounds wrong!".)

So, cryptic, hire people that are natives in the languages you wish to have your games localized to. Its what all the successful people do. You know, success? The thing always eluding you because you are cheap hacks?
Lt. Commander
# 38
12-22-2011, 01:13 AM
Quote:
It's something they also did with "The Persuaders!", "Die Zwei" in German, which was supposedly somewhat less amusing in its original version than the rather "relaxed" translation.
I once read an interview with someone who'd handled the translation and from what he said Tony Curtis, who spoke German, loved it.
The first Bud Spencer & Terence Hill Italo Westerns were pretty brutal. The dubbing made them funny. And probably better for it.
Lt. Commander
# 39
12-22-2011, 04:16 AM
True and it is of course also important what target audience was supposed to see the product.
In case of TOS for example the ZDF thought children.
Same is also true for some Westerns where the perceived target audience was probably teen boys.

Ironically the Star Trek "History in Pictures" book describes the exact opposite response to the "Animated Series" from some critics in the 70's.
Those said that it was sad that the animated depiction resulted in its use in childrens' programme even though since it was Star Trek it was supposed to be for adults.
This IMO is also telling of how SciFi fans were perceived very differently in the two countries and possibly still are today.
Same is true for gamers, as those of us who follow German TV recently saw with the "Explosiv" Games Com debacle.
Lt. Commander
# 40 Update of the localization
12-31-2011, 02:30 AM
Is there news when an update of the localization on Holodeck server comes?