Lt. Commander
# 1 Ability changes
11-24-2011, 09:14 AM
There are two things that have me worried, one is the changes to trainable abilities, the other is the new Aceton Field.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroniusRex
Powers:
  • The Graviton Generators skill no longer unlocks training for Tractor Beam III.
    • Tractor Beam III will now appear in Random Bridge Officers.
  • The Subspace Decompiler skill no longer unlocks training for Charged Particle Burst III.
    • Charged Particle Burst III will now appear in Random Bridge Officers.
I don't understand this. Why are these skills no longer trainable by players? And how are players who already reached VA/LG supposed to get these skills from random bridge officers? Will there be BO packs on the C-Store or what is the intention here?

And then the new Aceton Field, now known as Aceton Beam. It gives a -300 (AF1) or -500 (AF3) energy damage resist debuff. Just for comparison: FomM is around -45, Sensor Scan is (fully auxed and spec'ed) around -100. How is -500 a sensible value? And not only is -500 silly even when only used by players, we have to keep in mind that Aceton Field is also used by the Kar'Fi frigates.

Well, I don't expect Cryptic to care about either of these issues, but at least they won't be able to claim that nobody told them about possible problems.
Lt. Commander
# 2
11-24-2011, 09:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mancom
we have to keep in mind that Aceton Field is also used by the Kar'Fi frigates.

And keeping in mind that the Kar'Fi Carrier for Klinks can launch them and now has two hanger slots.
Lt. Commander
# 3
11-24-2011, 05:28 PM
WHy did they move those skills to BOff drops?
Lt. Commander
# 4
11-25-2011, 07:17 AM
because they can? seems to be the best reason i can think of for quite a few things they've been doing lately. No actual reason/need to do so, but simply because they can.
Lt. Commander
# 5
11-25-2011, 10:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jentai View Post
because they can? seems to be the best reason i can think of for quite a few things they've been doing lately. No actual reason/need to do so, but simply because they can.
They had to remove a bunch of the trainable skills due to the skill tree collapse.

You also forgot to read the line after that one:

* Moved Photonic Shockwave III training from Graviton Generators skill to Subspace Decompiler skill

The training node for Gravity Generators is Gravity Well III.

Tell me where else are they supposed to stuff TB 3 and CPB 3 now?

AB3 is also a Boff-drop-only skill anyway, you can't train it. It is the only fed cruiser skill that gives a decent debuff to enemies, anyway. Both Tac and Sci ships have more skills they can use in similar areas.

If you actually want to complain about skills: how about "why do the team skills (Sci/Tac/Eng Team III), which are space skills, require a certain ground skill to be trained to 9 in order to unlock their respective training nodes"?
Lt. Commander
# 6
11-25-2011, 12:27 PM
These are all very good questions. That this is being done because of the skill tree being condensed into a lazy, boring joke might just be the justification but that doesn't mean it's the right move. As for the space based Team abilities being earned from ground skills at level 9, I think most people have heard by now that the cost will be changed later when ground gets it's own overly condensed skill tree. At that point the cost to train will be in line with everything else although the fact that you have to get a space ability through ground skills will continue to make no sense.

Or it'll make Cryptic sense.

Seriously, what you guys have done to the skill tree is a tragedy. Several other people around here farted out a sleeker, simplified, and more fun versions than this mess.
Lt. Commander
# 7
11-25-2011, 12:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveHale View Post
These are all very good questions. That this is being done because of the skill tree being condensed into a lazy, boring joke might just be the justification but that doesn't mean it's the right move. As for the space based Team abilities being earned from ground skills at level 9, I think most people have heard by now that the cost will be changed later when ground gets it's own overly condensed skill tree. At that point the cost to train will be in line with everything else although the fact that you have to get a space ability through ground skills will continue to make no sense.

Or it'll make Cryptic sense.

Seriously, what you guys have done to the skill tree is a tragedy. Several other people around here farted out a sleeker, simplified, and more fun versions than this mess.
i had to lol at that last paragraph
Lt. Commander
# 8
11-25-2011, 07:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mancom
And then the new Aceton Field, now known as Aceton Beam. It gives a -300 (AF1) or -500 (AF3) energy damage resist debuff. Just for comparison: FomM is around -45, Sensor Scan is (fully auxed and spec'ed) around -100. How is -500 a sensible value? And not only is -500 silly even when only used by players, we have to keep in mind that Aceton Field is also used by the Kar'Fi frigates
Wait, wait, -300? I'm going to hope this is a bug like the huge numbers in the auxiliary power skill was. But if it isn't, I think they finally convinced me to edit: Make an impressively wrong post that I hope I edited before anyone who knows better corrects me on engineering skills.
Lt. Commander
# 9
11-25-2011, 08:20 PM
Wow, Aceton Field might actually have a use now.

Question: Why can't they simply have certain skill trainings unlock at different tiers of the skill. Say Skill level 6 unlocks Skill1. Skill level 9 unlocks Skill2.
Lt. Commander
# 10
11-26-2011, 12:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DodgeHopper View Post
Wow, Aceton Field might actually have a use now.

Question: Why can't they simply have certain skill trainings unlock at different tiers of the skill. Say Skill level 6 unlocks Skill1. Skill level 9 unlocks Skill2.
Yeah it should help quell the "Cruisers have no DPS" issues somewhat...