Lt. Commander
I recently purchased the new Bellerophon ship that caomes with the Nadion detonator module. I have been testing for a few days trying to figure out how to use the torpedo effectively, but so far it just seems like it is pretty much worthless. I would appreciate any feedback on any good strategys for using the console. Or for that matter everyones thoughts on it. Thanks!
Lt. Commander
# 2
11-25-2011, 12:48 AM
Personally I think it is pretty much useless for PvE. It is a Photonic Shockwave torpedo and Photonic Shockwaves aren't very useful in PvE. NPCs don't have to be stunned to prevent healing or escape, the damage output and repel is low, so IMHO for PvE it's a wasted console slot.
Lt. Commander
# 3
11-25-2011, 03:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by decker999 View Post
Personally I think it is pretty much useless for PvE. It is a Photonic Shockwave torpedo and Photonic Shockwaves aren't very useful in PvE. NPCs don't have to be stunned to prevent healing or escape, the damage output and repel is low, so IMHO for PvE it's a wasted console slot.
Run KA once with it say tell me it is useless in PvE again...

OP: You have to use Photon Torps and no other vairant for it to work. From what I understand
Lt. Commander
# 4
11-25-2011, 05:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anazonda View Post
Run KA once with it say tell me it is useless in PvE again...

OP: You have to use Photon Torps and no other vairant for it to work. From what I understand
See that "pretty much" before the useless? The harder PvE missions get and the more sci ships can shine with crowd control the better. Photonic Shockwave can be tied into a good crowd controling strategy, but it is still an exception in PvE gameplay that one is necessary. Old KA is an exception where the console can be equiped and nobody keeps him from doing it (as long as he doesn't shockwave the enemy in the wrong direction), same goes for the new Elite STFs. Still, Photonic Shockwave as an ability sucks in PvE, the crowd controlling can be done alot better with TBR (Lt. Slot). Shockwaves shine in PvP, are basically a must have there, but for PvE they are not as useful as anything else that could be equiped.

The console itself will take 1 of his slots (probably a tactical) and forces him to use Photon Torpedoes. The question he has to ask himself is, if it is worth the loss in PvE gameplay, which is totally damage focused and honestly, for standard situations, I think it is not.
Lt. Commander
# 5
11-25-2011, 03:24 PM
Ok. So another question would be...When is it effective in PVP? What kind of situation?
Lt. Commander
# 6
11-25-2011, 04:49 PM
It is really only worthwhile to use in PVP. There maybe niche cases in PVE, but largely its a waste of a console slot. Concerning its PVP use, its simple-- it stuns and knocks back the enemy. This can either give you breathing room against a heavy hitter or can be used to disable someone before he can heal himself. The stun only last a couple seconds, though.
Lt. Commander
# 7
11-25-2011, 11:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaygamma001
Ok. So another question would be...When is it effective in PVP? What kind of situation?
In every situation where you would use the Photonic Shockwave ability (see KillingMeSoftly's post). The difference is, the shockwave torpedo will start your torpedo cooldown (which is longer than the stun duration), so to follow with a high yield you have to use a 2nd torpedo. The good thing is, every 3 minutes (?) you get a free shockwave, so maybe you'll free a lt. commander sci slot for something else.
Lt. Commander
# 8
11-28-2011, 10:00 AM
One thing I use it for (I only play PvE) is for a shove back into a Gravity Well.

I use Gravity well, and try to knock out engines so they cannot escape, but when they start moving away, I hit 'em with the Nadion Detonator torp, and it shoves them back into the well and holds them again. Hit them with a good torp spread and fire at will. Pop one while they are held, and the warp core breach from that one damages the others, possibly taking others with the first.

That is how I use it.