Lt. Commander
# 11
11-28-2011, 08:25 PM
You know of a IE spell checker plug in? I certainly do not.
Lt. Commander
# 12
11-28-2011, 08:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khemaraa_Iron_Hand_KBF View Post
http://iespell.com/

It's one of several options.
Lt. Commander
# 13
11-28-2011, 09:26 PM
Its easy enough to use word to spell check. That being said, there are little red squiggly underscores when you accidentally mistype something. Personally, I'm not overly bothered by it. If someone were actually sending me a real contract I might take things like spelling more seriously, but the end result is the point the author is making.

Personally I don't see myself as a 'Fed Player' or a 'KDF Player' or a 'PvE Player' or a 'PvP player'. I'm all of the above. I've leached just about every little drop of content out of this game, and sucked it nearly dry. There are a number of things I'd like to see them do, or not do with Free to Play. While I'm not happy about Dilithium Conversions, at the end of the day I can get over that (I do still think it should equate to 1:1 earnings between Live and F2P).

1) KDF Faction needs its own content. I've written posts in the past about this. I'm angry that I took the work grinding in pvp maps, expanses, explore maps, etc.... Only to have a good 21+ levels wasted by this giveaway. Forget that. Its bad enough how mind numbing it was to level all those KDF characters I have, just so that I could fly the actual ship I wanted to have them built for. In part, they've altered this by creating more factional ships and more options via the C-Store. I can live with that. What I don't appreciate is the wholesale giveaway of Levels that I earned to the newcomers, without any appropriate recompense to me (and anyone else who had to grind their way to the top). The moment FvF came out, it ruined PvP for Klingons, and I guaranty any Klingon who can remember those days remembers the drought we faced. This also means it ruined the FUN way to level a Klingon. PvP was never a fast levelling prospect for the KDF. It took a lot more time and work, than standard levelling... which frankly was another mistake. As it stands now, I personally don't see levelling by pvp as a viable option if you're a Klingon. I'm not willing to bang my head into that wall repeatedly. Its more fun at the top, and my best chance to queue there. Maybe with f2p that will change, maybe not. Who knows.

That being said, the Canvas is wide open for a good story to tell for the Klingons. There is the petty conflict with the Federation. (Yes I called it Petty). This conflict is likely the first to hit the forefront of gameplay. The KDF has broken the treaty, and feels a great war of survival in the quadrant exists between them and the Undine. The KDF, being the master warriors that they are feel they must protect the quadrant and its weaker races from annihilation (or that's what they tell themselves to make themselves feel more heroic). To a certain extent they are, but it could be interesting to set the KDF captain in situations that make them wonder if they're doing the right thing. Setting that war aside, there's already the gobbling up of Romulan space. This one is fantastic. Again this is ripe for content and good picken's. The Romulan Empire is a carcass that a good vulture should clean up. Finally there's the Dominion... The Klingons hate the Dominion, and with good reason. If they're trying to make their resurgence via the True Way, what a great storyline this could be? Finally at the top end, you have storylines surrounding the Borg, the Undine, the H'urq (could this be the Iconians, or something just as nasty?), The Iconians, etc. There are a lot of wars to be waged, Honor and Glory to be had... and great stories that could be made that make the KDF captain wonder 'Am i doing the Right thing? Maybe I should do what's truly honorable even if my superiors don't like it. Etc". Star Trek has had these stories in the past, of moral quandaries faced by a people tied to Glory and Honor, two core principles that at times contrast one another.

2) The game needs more PvP maps, preferably accessible round the clock, like Kerrat but without the buggy Borg. Most of us have played Kerrat, Arenas, and Cap'n Holds till they're worn thin. Just looking at a new conflict, a new screen, could go a long way to making the pvp more fun. The Same Space Maps in 2 years, and those are the ones we started with, at least in terms of space.

3) More Fleet Actions. I'll give them this, they did add the Terran Empire, which is good. The bad thing is, they've somehow completely fubarred Starbase 24 and DS9. Why did some of the most fun Fleet Actions get completely Torqued? Why are the ground and space portions not linked? BRING THEM BACK. Furthermore, our Borg STF's, beloved by me and many friends, have been hacksawed in such a way that while in their parts are improved, in the whole feel hollow and lacking. I can live with Fleet Actions made to separate the space and ground portions of the STF's. Why not keep the STF's as a contiguous mission that you can fly to? This irks me, and I'm not alone.

4) Tied Arcs. I'm fine with each Arc band being reliant on the mission being done before it. I don't like being Vice Admiral, yet I'm still stuck in Romulan Space. I believe they were going to fix this before I took my trip, so I do hope that is the case, in large part because I want to see my Beloved STF's repaired (see point 3).

5) Featured Episodes, and Story Arcs: This is a must have for content. FE's and New Story Arcs draw in players, keep people excited and continue to develop the Star Trek story here. For this game to be an RPG, we need new stories to keep growing.

6) Something I'd like to see, and has only been vaguely mentioned a few times, would be to see the genesis system actually bring up surprising stories out in space, just as we're flying around. These 'surprise' or 'exploration' missions would in fact be reminiscent of about all of half the star trek eps that are out there. Most of the time, its what happens ON THE WAY that is interesting. Walking the exterior of your ship, flying shuttles down through an atmosphere that doesn't allow for transportation, getting boarded by hostile aliens. Dealing with a disease on your ship. While the DOFF assignments handle some of this, I still think these types of missions could be a great way to liven up the PvE aspect of the game. Should we have to always do them? Not really. It would be terrible to run into something like this on the way to join friends for Crystalline Entity, or Khitomer Accord or such (there is the MMO aspect to bear in mind), but it would go a long way toward enriching the gameplay experience.

7) Crossfire... not complete. The game balances of Crossfire are terrible. I loved some things it added. I'm pretty verbal about it however, I think it completely messed up things like Recharge Times/Cooldowns, Activation Times, and Consumables. To make matters worse, the game has a problem where you often have to click a power 3 times to activate. This usually means life or death in the new punchy pace of the game, whereas I could wiggle my way out of it in the old system. Its not so bad if you're an Engineer or a scientist, but when I'm playing my Tacs I really feel it. Now I find, the only real use for tactical officers on the ground is to be a PvP ganking machine. Even that isn't so hot though, as an Engineer with turrets can do brutal amounts of damage on the fly. Its unfortunate, but I feel like I'm the only guy mentioning this, and it seems like the Elephant in the Room to me. Ground Combat STILL NEEDS POLISH. It may not happen now, but it does need to happen. Additionally, Half the Ground Traits or more were made irrelevant by these changes. If there were a system to improve these traits as you leveled up I might retract this statement but its not.

8) They need to fix the Stacking Shield Exploit. I guaranty you that Freepers will use any exploit that they can get. They have nothing to lose, often times. I could go into more detail on this, and I don't mean to malign all Freepers, but there is a certain segment that are just downright dirty. They need to fix obvious glitches like this one, else everyone is going to have to use the glitch... which again is dirty. I've seen this sort of thing done in other games. The unfortunate thing is, legitimate pvp'ers WILL get sick of being trounced by a cheat that anyone can easily replicate. I don't want to see players who desire to play legitimately get punished for essentially the lazy action on Cryptic's part. Please FIX THIS, YESTERDAY!

IOverall I agree with the main thrust of what Khemaraa is saying here. I want Cryptic to put a good face forward, and that's why I mention these items. I don't think they can handle it all, reasonably. It will take time, and I recognize that. Its just my hope that they are heavily frontloading missions so that they can get a good steady pace of content out the gate come January or February or whenever they're starting the next FE. Simultaneously, they need to continue to hammer out some of these balance issues. I'd make comment toward Space Balance, but frankly, I don't know significantly enough about the Tribble Changes to Skills and Consoles well enough to intelligently discuss the relevant things they should prep for. I'm too busy trying to cover my back with regard to the F2P changes coming up. This is an area where Cryptic screwed up an opportunity as well. They shouldn't devalue our in game currencies in the translation. Our buying power with those same currencies is already reduced as is in the Tribble server. There really is no reason to make our past efforts worth less than future efforts. Will there be some of us that are more highly established than the new guys? Yes. Do we deserve it? Definitely. Even starting at ground zero, I could build one character powerfully in the new system in a months time, no problem at all. The ultimate thing is, they've created a system whereby many of us who would be happy to test, feel like we're cheating ourselves if we do so. Why? Because its better that I take the time to build my gear NOW, rather than have all my dilithium devalued and have a hell of a lot harder time getting the same gear a week from now. I hope they don't take this message down. Just read it with a grain of salt Cryptic and work towards some of the things said here. Let us know you're doing it. Keep the dialog up... and for goodness sake please don't make the silly comment that the paying players are anti Free to play. Most of us are not. In fact most of us have an army of friends who will likely play the game because its going f2p. Don't confuse the arguments here.

That's all for now.
Lt. Commander
# 14
11-28-2011, 09:44 PM
Oh I have one more thing to say about Klingon Missions:

1) Please, give me an option to beat the pulp out of that idiot Ferengi in Drozana for getting uppity. I'm not sure why a Klingon Captain of the Empire would have cause to put up with his insolence.

2) Why do the people of Drozana station get on so well with me as a Klingon captain? McCoy hates Klingons, for starters.

3) The crazy woman on Drozana who needs a special drink to give you the parts Scotty needs. Yes. I think my Klingon Captain would smack her a few times till her head cleared up. That's not how people should behave in real life, but lets face it, Klingons aren't people, and they certainly don't live by our rules, or the Federations. It just seems odd that the Klingons, who are conquerors, and warriors, feeling themselves superior to all other races in every way, and having a very aggressive and hostile society, should in any way tip toe around a drunkard (woman or not) just to get the object they need. To be honest I didn't even like this part of the storyline as a Federation officer, and I'm not sure a Federation captain should go around mixing drinks either. A hypo could do just the trick to calm her nerves, could it not?

4) With the Deferi, I also don't see the Klingons being so stupid as to blow up the Breen and Deferi Crew. Give us the option to mount an assault via boarding party. Sure we don't have the super sciencey approach (I don't know why) but let us go in and fight gloriously with Batleth and Disruptor and rip those ugly helmets off the Dirty Breen.

5) I know there are other instances in the game where I have felt this way... this fifth post is simply to take up the position of any other areas in the storyline where I felt the game forces you to behave in non-Klingon ways. The ones previously mentioned are simply the ones that irked me the most.

*** Really any instance where an NPC deserves getting pummeled, we really need to, as a Klingon Captain have that choice. Klingons are for lack of a better term, the Knights of the Star Trek era. They live in a Feudalistic, almost dark ages sort of world where Honor and Glory are bound up in who they are. If we're not to beat these npc's senseless, then have them run away, escape, or outsmart us... but please don't make a Klingon act like a Federation character. Particularly if they're a no name NPC that we have no reason to respect, or has not earned our respect. I can guaranty you, no Klingon Captain would respect the weaselly Ferengi captain that is getting in the way of his mission, on Drozana station.

I realize this might make it harder in the distant future to make concurrent storylines between factions. Then again this might not be the best route to take anyway. Certainly some things could be concurrent, but it still requires significant remastering to give the proper feeling conveyed. Bear in mind, I intend for all of this to be constructive criticism.
Lt. Commander
# 15
11-28-2011, 09:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DodgeHopper View Post
2) Why do the people of Drozana station get on so well with me as a Klingon captain? McCoy hates Klingons, for starters.
McCoy doesn't know what you are. The Klingons of his time don't have forehead ridges.

Quote:
And to the other person, I didn't break any forum rules with the original posting in this thread. It is not an "I quit" thread.
It's against the forum rules to post on the forum to say you're quitting? I looked at the rules and can't find that anywhere.
Lt. Commander
# 16
11-28-2011, 11:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallytcw View Post
McCoy doesn't know what you are. The Klingons of his time don't have forehead ridges.
Ridges aside, you're wearing Klingon Regalia, you're a strange alien showing up shooting up the place, and furthermore all hell is breaking loose on the station. Doesn't that seem a little odd? I've got the station commander firing away at me with all her troops, and still McCoy is buddy buddy with me. Its still a little oddball, even excluding the forehead-ridge stuff.
Lt. Commander
# 17
11-28-2011, 11:37 PM
Quote:
Ridges aside, you're wearing Klingon Regalia, you're a strange alien showing up shooting up the place, and furthermore all hell is breaking loose on the station. Doesn't that seem a little odd? I've got the station commander firing away at me with all her troops, and still McCoy is buddy buddy with me. Its still a little oddball, even excluding the forehead-ridge stuff.
and yet they act exactly the same when a fed crew dressed in the TOS uniforms comes walking up....
Lt. Commander
# 18
11-29-2011, 12:04 AM
This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Atari Community Rules and Policies ~Q
Lt. Commander
# 19
11-29-2011, 12:08 AM
Quote:
Oh I have one more thing to say about Klingon Missions:

3) The crazy woman on Drozana who needs a special drink to give you the parts Scotty needs. Yes. I think my Klingon Captain would smack her a few times till her head cleared up. That's not how people should behave in real life, but lets face it, Klingons aren't people, and they certainly don't live by our rules, or the Federations. It just seems odd that the Klingons, who are conquerors, and warriors, feeling themselves superior to all other races in every way, and having a very aggressive and hostile society, should in any way tip toe around a drunkard (woman or not) just to get the object they need. To be honest I didn't even like this part of the storyline as a Federation officer, and I'm not sure a Federation captain should go around mixing drinks either. A hypo could do just the trick to calm her nerves, could it not?
I agree with the fed side . . . but the Klingon side I understand why a Klingon would do this. have you SEEN the amount of effort they put into alcohol? Hell she probably earned the KDF Captain's respect by wanting a bloody drink instead of a hypo!!! Klingons are like pirates . . . just replace the rum with blood wine and you have a happy klingon. XD
Lt. Commander
# 20
11-29-2011, 04:00 AM
I want to be a fan of STO. I just hope the changes I experienced on Tribble somehow play differently on the Holodeck. It is possible that it somehow got better after I grinded from tutorial to VA.

Quote:

If you're using IE-9, speckie will do it for you. http://www.speckie.com/home/