Lt. Commander
# 1 DOFF Commendation Improvements
12-06-2011, 07:27 AM
Commendation as it exists for Diplomacy gives actual in game benefits as it stands now. I realize we never did get the DS9 Voting rights (Though I'm still quite intrigued with what that means, and what it will be), but overall I love these benefits. Wouldn't it be wonderful if we obtained special abilities or passive bonuses for Trade, Science, Engineering, Military, Espionage, Colonial, Development and so forth. There are many ways to go with this, but imagine if you get all four Levels of Trade, perhaps you'd have the same in game discount as a Ferengi does with Lobes (and perhaps the Ferengi is even better). Engineering could improve our Crafting, it could improve our ships sector space turn rates and speed, maybe a small boost to efficiency and performance. Something like that.

I'll leave this part open to suggestions but think about it.

Another idea I have is for Repeatable Doff Mission Upon Success:
I love the missions where we end up with 'Baked Tribble' or Craft Alien Personal Shields, and so forth. Wouldn't it be nice if you achieved a Critical Success (or have gotten enough critical successes on missions of that type), perhaps you could simply repeat these sorts of things. The same would be for the passive bonuses to ships that are timed. That way we could choose the passive benefits to our ship we get.. with a doff actually doing a mission of course.
Lt. Commander
# 2
12-07-2011, 05:16 AM
Well, I hate to reply to myself on a post, but I had another idea about this.

How fantastic would it be if DOFF missions achievements or commendation levels could unlock other features or Missions. For instance, when one acquires a unique DOFF like the El Aurian Doff.

Another good option would be to open up whole new arcs or storylines of standard missions, based upon things that happen from a DOff mission. That would be epic.
Lt. Commander
# 3
12-07-2011, 09:17 AM
Fully Support This...

Would be great to see Doff Commendation rewards at each tier (like the diplo Transwarp/Diplo Immunity) other than just a new doff/ability to purchase other doffs.

(Someone said in fleet chat that giving us doff rewards for completing doff missions is a little perverse given that we need the doffs to do the missions in the first place)

Would love to see something like the following:

Science Tiers: Increases chance at each tier of scanning rare trace particles eg +5% T1, +10% T2, +15% T3, +20% T4

Engineering: Decrease nonreplicatable material cost of crafting at mem alpha/forge eg -5% T1, -10% T2, -15% T3, -20% T4

Military: Overall damage increase space & ground eg +0.5% T1, +1% T2, +1.5% T3, +2% T4

Exploration: Increase in dilithium/XP reward for exploration cluster dailies eg 1.5x T1, 2x T2, 3x T3, 4x T4

Espionage: Increase Stealth/Perception in space increase Covert/Expose on the ground eg +5% T1, +10% T2, +15% T3, +20% T4

Medical: Increase in effectiveness of ground heals (for sci characters) and for all characters temporary increase in max HP when hit by a heal. eg +1% T1, +2% T2, +3% T3, +4% T4

Colonial: Stumped on this one! Perhaps something to do with starbases when this comes in S6?

Trade: Like the Lobes trait on a ferengi - discount in EC and GPL store prices eg -5% T1, -10% T2, -15% T3, -20% T4

Development: Something to do with SP / Boff SP expenditure / earning. My suggestion would be that each tier would get some additional SP to spend to the point that T4 yould have the ability to train 4 extra top level skills (+3000points) May be tricky to have this work with max cap, but worth a thought? eg +500 T1, +1000 T2, +2000 T3, +3000 T4

Recruitment: Increases chances of getting rare doff/boff from rewards. eg +1% T1, +2% T2, +3% T3, +4% T4

Any comments suggestions on the above welcome, but this would give the doff system even more kudos than it already has
Lt. Commander
# 4
12-07-2011, 01:24 PM
I like the idea of gaining minor buffs for certain commendations. I do not, however, like the idea of unlocking missions through the DOff system. While it is an interesting idea, I simply don't think the devs would go about it the right way. The first thing they would likely do is make the DOff system into a content gate and the first missions they would likely gate through it would be any new Featured Series they make, since it is obvious they aren't going to make any other new content. We have too many content gates as it is (the Story gate being the worst). We don't need another one.

Lt. Commander
# 5
12-07-2011, 04:46 PM
Every time I hear Story gate or read it, I think 'Watergate'

I know how you feel Blackavaar. I have an idea how they could implement it though in interesting and strange new ways. For instance, the old exploration missions. Perhaps you could be given a standard mission, which in turn gives you a special set of Doff missions in Delta Volanis. You clear enough scientific analysis of the area, and then receive a discovery that gives you a mission sending you to your Astrometrics lab. You play a minigame at the lab, and after successfully clearing that, you head to a planet that is cloaked in stardust. The mission begins! I do see the DOFF system as potentially being an interesting gateway to new missions, but it all depends on how it is used I agree. More often than not what I see here is one-off missions a lot alike the Exploration missions we deal with, but perhaps a bit more variety thrown in there, and maybe some intrigue. Perhaps a way to spice up exploration... and it doesn't just have to be in Delta volanis... it could just take us to that dark spot on the map that was otherwise meaningless before.