Lt. Commander
# 11
11-28-2011, 11:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Havesum
Wikipedia is not a reliable or reputable source.

Also, languages, as well as symbolism, symbols, representations, and meanings of concepts, words,and ideas, evolve with time. The Caduceus has come to represent the medical field, and that is what people understand when they see it, therefore that is the meaning of it. Historical meaning and current meaning are not necessarily the same thing. You can get bogged down by the evolution of thought, by not keeping up with it, or you can adapt and evolve with it. It doesn't matter to me which one you choose to do, but understand that is your choice, not the choice of the rest of the world.
http://www.sg.af.mil/art/mediagaller...galleryID=3512

http://www.army.mod.uk/army-medical-services/5319.aspx

http://www.who.int/en/

Are those reputable sources?
Lt. Commander
# 12
11-28-2011, 12:06 PM
Yes. But the links provided, while providing examples of insignia, are unrelated to the issue.

Shall we go for relevant and reputable this time? I had assumed that "relevant" didn't need to be said. You know what they say about assumptions.
Lt. Commander
# 13
11-28-2011, 12:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Havesum
Yes. But the links provided, while providing examples of insignia, are unrelated to the issue.

Shall we go for relevant and reputable this time? I had assumed that "relevant" didn't need to be said. You know what they say about assumptions.
Quote:
Wikipedia is not a reliable or reputable source.
I always love it when people think sourced pages in Wikipedia are not reliable/reputable.

I'm not going to check all of them out but so far it seems that only the US Army uses the 'wrong' symbol.

http://www.med.navy.mil/sites/nhtp/P...ine%20Logo.jpg

I guess Starfleet 'devolved'.
Lt. Commander
# 14
11-28-2011, 03:20 PM
In Star Trek it can be explained that Humans mainly ran Starfleet and human tradition was retained when the UFP was founded.

For the TV explaination, it was used because people around the world recognize the symbol compared to one that was made up.
Lt. Commander
# 15
11-28-2011, 04:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azurian View Post
In Star Trek it can be explained that Humans mainly ran Starfleet and human tradition was retained when the UFP was founded.

For the TV explaination, it was used because people around the world recognize the symbol compared to one that was made up.
I don't quite think that's the issue though. it's the fact that the 'two snakes with wings' is a wrong (but commonly misued) symbol to represent medical practice, when it should be 'one snake around a staff' (which is properly used in in the Medical profession). Both are 'Human' (originating on Earth) and both are 'recognizable', but they used the wrong one (the first) in the shows/movies.
Lt. Commander
# 16
11-28-2011, 05:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PodSix
Okay... I was referring to the Original Series. Apparently it came into use during the movies.

I stand by my original challenge to Cryptic to make a correct 2409 medical logo.
Lt. Commander
# 17
11-28-2011, 06:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Destinii
I don't quite think that's the issue though. it's the fact that the 'two snakes with wings' is a wrong (but commonly misued) symbol to represent medical practice, when it should be 'one snake around a staff' (which is properly used in in the Medical profession). Both are 'Human' (originating on Earth) and both are 'recognizable', but they used the wrong one (the first) in the shows/movies.
Yes, they used the wrong symbol. But unless CBS goes back and fixes those errors, afraid there isn't much to do canonically. Though Cryptic can use the proper one, providing they have enough time to have the art team go back and do fixes.
Lt. Commander
# 18
11-28-2011, 06:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azurian View Post
Yes, they used the wrong symbol. But unless CBS goes back and fixes those errors, afraid there isn't much to do canonically. Though Cryptic can use the proper one, providing they have enough time to have the art team go back and do fixes.
Can they? I'd expect them to be bound by their license agreement to use the same symbols as CBS uses in the show.
Lt. Commander
# 19
11-28-2011, 07:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Hawk
Can they? I'd expect them to be bound by their license agreement to use the same symbols as CBS uses in the show.
It's been decades since the TV shows/movies according to the current in game lore. there's nothing to say that Stafleet hasn't updated its symbols. I mean, ESD is getting a full makeover.. I'm sure they could easily change it to a correct symbol if they wished, and call it a 2409 Starfleet Medical update.
Lt. Commander
# 20
11-28-2011, 07:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Destinii
It's been decades since the TV shows/movies according to the current in game lore. there's nothing to say that Stafleet hasn't updated its symbols. I mean, ESD is getting a full makeover.. I'm sure they could easily change it to a correct symbol if they wished, and call it a 2409 Starfleet Medical update.
This. If they can get away with Starfleet officers running around in Terran Empire uniforms a minor symbol change is... well, minor.