Lt. Commander
# 1 Dev Chat: August 14
08-10-2009, 08:53 PM
Next Friday, August 14, at 3:00 p.m. Pacific time (we’re GMT -7 right now), we’ll be holding a developer’s chat in the official Star Trek Online IRC chat!
Rather than running with a general topic, we're going to use this week's Ask Cryptic as a jumping off point. Was anything unclear in our answer? Have any follow-up questions? Now's the time to ask us live!
The chat is scheduled to last 30 minutes. If you can’t make it due to time constraints, we’ll be posting a transcript of the chat on the forums.
If you’d like to join us, point your IRC program of choice toward #STO on coldfront.net, or click right here for a Java client, then type "/join #STO" in the input area. And if you can’t make it, just reply with your question in this post’s comment thread. We’ll be selecting questions from the thread to put to the developers.

Link to the news article.
Lt. Commander
# 2
08-10-2009, 09:11 PM
I don't think that there was anything that was too unclear in this installment of Ask Cryptic, but it's still a good thing to discuss in my opinion because ground combat is absolutely the issue that I want to know more about.
Lt. Commander
# 3
08-10-2009, 09:16 PM
woot.. i'll try and be there!, hope some new info would be released

my Question is: when you beam down to a planet would your ship still be in space or would it disappear?
Lt. Commander
# 4
08-10-2009, 10:14 PM
In case I can't make it:

Quote:
ExAstris: Will all ground missions be 5 individuals, or will some of the more epic things you encounter at "end game" require 10+ away team members?

The team size is always five. There are maps that require multiple teams to make your way through. Think of a front-line situation where numerous players bring down their away teams to work together with other players to fight against multiple teams of other players or NPCs. But your away team is always five members.
In reference to the above quote, does that mean if you are grouped with another ship and you both are doing a mission that requires 2 teams (like a x2 raid) would one group be sent to one point on a map, while the other group be sent to another point? Or both sent to the same point but you can't mix the teams together (like a WoW or EQ2 raid window)

Reason I'm asking, is if the teams are split up, would be more interesting or difficult working together.
Lt. Commander
# 5
08-10-2009, 10:46 PM
very nice-u.

should i not make it:

In regards to the multiple groups of away teams, is it possible to send 10 people into two groups of 5? or will it be that if there needs to be 2+ away team groups it will always be the captain and their bridge officers creating the full groups?

also, how does cover work? toggleable or is it just standing behind things?

how about prone, standing, kneeling? are they in the game, and if so, do they give modifiers to attack bonues/dodge bonuses?
Lt. Commander
# 6 Kit Question
08-10-2009, 11:11 PM
In case I cant make it:

In reference to this question:

Quote:
Will these "kits" be supplied to your character automatically upon creation, or will there be a mission or procedure through which they'll be unlocked and ready for use/enhancement?
As I see it “kits” will work much like the “Power Sets” as seen in Champion Online, is this correct? If so, will these “kits” have customizable frames like that of CO or will certain kits be limited to certain fields?
Lt. Commander
# 7
08-10-2009, 11:58 PM
I'll try and be there can't wait.
Lt. Commander
# 8
08-11-2009, 12:07 AM
Glad to hear that the devs are looking into racial traits that resist / buffed by the affects of certain environments (like Andorians in the cold). I'm all for this. It certainly encourages me to diversify my crew.

I won't make the chat, so on to questions...
  • You said away teams are always 5 men? So does that mean I couldn't bring fewer officers if I wanted to?
  • Can characters fire while moving? And if so does movement lower your accuracy?
  • Can you explain a little better how personal shields work? Do they stop everything or only energy weapons? Do they completely stop damage or only reduce it by a certain amount / percentage? And will they ever get so tough that we'll see characters tank repeated phaser hits?
  • Can you clarify something from the Hailing Frequency interview where they discussed healing? At what sort of range will heals be done at (hand-to-hand range, pistol range, long range... all the above?)
Lt. Commander
Is ground combat going to have a dynamic series of goals that need to be completed in order for your faction to take the objective? For example, in MAG (Online FPS not released yet) there are goals that have to be achieved which could be spread over a large area to the point where you may never see a squad of people on your team, but you know they did their job because the defensive turrets are offline when you arrive at your objective; which could be to hack into the exterior access control panels from a remote uplink and in turn opens doors for yet another team to take the base/main objective. This approach would allow you to provide targeted objectives for specific classes which would make that skill set feel more important and provide important assistance to asset capturing.

Also, are planets/bases/space stations going to change hands and actually provide benefits to the ruling faction? If so, will there be NPC protection added to the assets to help fend off counter attacks?

Naz
Lt. Commander
# 10
08-11-2009, 12:26 AM
Can I get the cool rocket boots that spock uses and fly phaser people to death?