Lt. Commander
My apologies to those who have answered this many times. I've been away for the game for a few months, and am coming back but am having trouble remember why 2 or 3 DHCs are better than 2 or 3 DCs.

I assume it has something to do with shared cooldowns, but also noticed that the DCs only have -10 to weapon power setting when firing, where as DHCs have -12. I assumed that less power drain is better, and with supposedly same DPS (and perhaps twice the procs), DCs would outperform DHCs. However, the DPS calculator suggests otherwise, to the tune of almost 10% higher DPS for a 3 DHC setup vs 3 DC.

Can someone help me out here?

Also, while I'm playing newb, if anyone has some advice for BO abilities and loadout for my Defiant tactical retrofit, I'm all ears.

Thanks everyone in advance, and again, my apologies for asking what I'm sure has been answered many times (and what I swear I once knew).
Lt. Commander
# 2
11-28-2011, 03:50 PM
The reason that dual heavy cannons are better than dual cannons is that while they both have the same cooldown, the dual heavy cannons have less of an impact on your weapons power, as well as the fact they hit significantly heavier per volley.
Lt. Commander
# 3
11-28-2011, 03:56 PM
I appreciate the response, Destraa. I'm still not sure I fully understand, though; I'm sorry to say I'm a bit of a numbers guy, and so may need to see the math to "get it".

Why do you say DHCs have less impact on weapon power? They're listed as draining 12 weapon power, whereas DCs train 10. I would think, based on this info, that DHCs have more impact on weapon power, not less.

Hitting more per volley is irrelevant if they hit less frequently; DHCs and DCs have the same DPS, so I'm not sure I see why hitting more per hit is helpful.
Lt. Commander
# 4
11-28-2011, 03:57 PM
Forget all the math, it's pretty widely known that DHCs hit much harder than regular DCs... to the point that regular DCs are pretty much useless. It's all to do with the way DPS works in battle vs the way it is calculated when it appears on an item description.
Lt. Commander
# 5
11-28-2011, 04:01 PM
I can definitely see the common wisdom (no one seems to suggest DCs), but I will struggle to forget the math. Perhaps some testing is in order.
Lt. Commander
# 6
11-28-2011, 04:02 PM
They draw more power, but not for the same amount of time. DCHs end up doing more damage despite higher drain because of the specifics of how firing cycles overlap between multiple weapons. If you look at the very basics of the situation, they *should* be doing less, but there's a lot of oddities in the whole system that aren't modeled as well as, say, WoW's combat system, so it's hard to put in words exactly how things interact in all cases.
Lt. Commander
# 7
11-28-2011, 07:31 PM
DHCs fire less frequently. Thus, even though they take more power per shot, there's enough time between shots for your power to full regenerate.

Supposedly, this shouldn't be an issue as weapons are supposed to refund the energy used after their firing cycle, but in practice, this appears to not always be the case.

Also, DHCs hit harder, but less frequently, so that means if you get an enemy's shields down, they might only be down for a few seconds before they turn away from you, hit Emergency Power to Shields, or something else, and you'll get more damage in with DHCs in that short time frame than with DCs.
Lt. Commander
# 8
11-28-2011, 10:51 PM
DHCs-Burst. They're like quantums (only the same cooldown as DCs apparently.) They get more damage in before shields go up. Great all around.
DCs- constant. They shoot constantly. they nag at shields to get them down. they do less damage in each shot, but the same amount of DPS.

IMO, they should be like photon and quantum torpedos to be more equal.
Lt. Commander
# 9
11-29-2011, 05:27 AM
I think the above posts pretty much clarify it but as you asked for it in a numbers form:

Both DC and DHC show the same DPS stats in game, lets assume that figure is 250 DPS (it isn't but I can't recall exactly off the top of my head).

A firing sequence would go like this:

Weapon...1st Volley.......2nd Volley......3rd Volley........4th Volley etc...Total Damage Dealt
DC...........-10 power.......-10 power.......-10 power........-10 power
...............125 damage...125 damage....125 damage....125 damage.............500

DHC.........-12 power.......doesn't fire.....-12 power........doesn't fire
...............250 damage.....0 damage......250 damage....0 damage.................500

(Sorry, I've no idea how to make a table look neat on here.)

So, the damage over any given period is the same for both weapon types but the DCs do it continuously (they fire more shots but with less damage per shot), whereas the DHCs do it in big spikes with gaps in between.

DHCs are therefore preferred (by most) as the gaps in the firing sequence allow power to regenerate slightly, thus improving power management but more importantly, when they hit, they hit with a big spike and it is spike damage that is considered most important (at least for PvP).

Of course, by virtue of more shots being fired, DCs have a greater chance of a proc occurring, to counter this DHCs have an inbuilt bonus to (I believe) CrtH.
Lt. Commander
# 10
11-29-2011, 05:52 AM
Bigger gun bigger boom