Lt. Commander
# 231
11-30-2011, 03:53 AM
cryptic wants these f2p players to reach cap asap and hopefully to buy VA ship from the c-store on impulse only to find out that content is somewhat limited, bugs & broken content will not be fixed.

1) it doesnt matter if you leave becos you have already spent 1,600 points to buy a VA ship. ($20)
2) for every 1 f2p player that leave, few more will come in to take your place. rinse & repeat.

its good money for cryptic! :p

btw, i doubt that cryptic will care if any of you stop playing. (look at point 2)

things are not gonna change, take it or leave it.
Lt. Commander
# 232
11-30-2011, 04:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by patent77
cryptic wants these f2p players to reach cap asap and hopefully to buy VA ship from the c-store on impulse only to find out that content is somewhat limited, bugs & broken content will not be fixed.

1) it doesnt matter if you leave becos you have already spent 1,600 points to buy a VA ship. ($20)
2) for every 1 f2p player that leave, few more will come in to take your place. rinse & repeat.

btw, i doubt that cryptic will care if any of you stop playing. (look at point 2)

What your describing would be a pyramid scheme - with the inevitable consequence that it will fail. And due to STOs fast pace it would fail quite soon. Not even Cryptic can be that "foolish" to go such a way.
Lt. Commander
# 233 Wowzers...
11-30-2011, 04:28 AM
There is sure a lot of negative response to many aspects of the Free to Play crossover. As a lifetime subscriber and someone who has been devoted to playing and helping to improve STO ever since it was in it's open beta I am somewhat appalled.

I am forced to agree with many of my fellow players that a lot of the upcoming changes look fairly bad. I have started a new toon on Tribble and have been playing through the F2P test a little bit. DEVS listen to us! Trust your loyal players. We (the ones who have been here since launch and are still here) are the ones for whom you do what you do. Your job is meaningless without us.

PLAYERS They (Cryptic) can see all this frustration. It's difficult when your main concerns and issues are not being addressed by the Dev team as top priority. Sadly, they've got people to answer to other than us. I'm sure they want to give us what we want. Spewing, trolling, rage all over the forums might feel like the right thing to do with your frustration at the time, but it will only serve to make you and others more frustrated. If you really want to see improvement... To help make this game better.... Keep the constructive, positive ideas flowing out onto these forums. You are being heard.

We can make it our game. We have not lost it. We simply need to re-invest in our ideas and not let our frustrations get the better of us. Try not to lose hope out there. In all things remember, "Fear is the mindkiller." Or in many cases rage and frustration. Stay positive captains, we can show the Devs what we want without reverting into overgrown 6 year olds.

- Levelling was already too fast. Don't speed it up, please!

- Re-Examine the proposed skill changes. My Tac's DPS still can't hope to beat a Tank's healing in 1 on 1 Space PVP. The New system looks like it will favor tanks even more.
Your (Cryptic's) PR situation is really in the dumps right now. We the players are seeing a lot of announcements about what's to come but aren't getting any face time or discussion with the DEVS and it is making us all very unhappy and frustrated. This is why these forums are getting uglier and uglier. Please do something about it. We need you to acknowledge that you are hearing all of our concerns and do plan to do something about it!

I'm too awesome to have a signature. So I'm just putting this here to signify that I'm done talking now.
Lt. Commander
# 234
11-30-2011, 04:43 AM
I'm as concerned as you, but since the new management took over it looks like Cryptic are going to screw the game alltogether. They do not care for what the community wants if it is not sellable with profit in C-Store.
Lt. Commander
# 235 Tut.....
11-30-2011, 05:50 AM
This is the reason why I cancelled my subscription...

Gameplay has gone awful, it seems so dull atm. No offense but i'm switching to SWTOR cause it actually grabs your attention and has amazing storyline but STO feels rushed when you play it
Lt. Commander
# 236
11-30-2011, 05:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by patent77

So true...
Lt. Commander
# 237
11-30-2011, 05:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaelDuin
I was expecting much more content (missions) in STO all along based on my experience seeing the content (mission) growth in other MMOs all these years.

It's especially disheartening to see new MMOs lap STO in under a year.

All I can think is that STO must have a TEENY-TINY development crew in comparison to EVERY OTHER MMO out there.

If that's the case, then from the beginning STO was never designed to compete on content. The entire sales plan must have been "People like the IP. It will sell just for that reason." Some suit threw together a skeleton crew of programers and designers and told them they needed to deliver SOMETHING. It didn't have to be much, it just needed to exist and make money.
DCUO had easily four or five times the development budget of STO and a bigger team.

Now, I don't think it was a total cash grab on Cryptic's part. They're a small, budget conscious crew who have been looking to replicate what they did with City of Heroes multiple times over so they can avoid layoffs and grow their company.

Thing is, MMOs have changed a lot since they did City of Heroes (which predates WoW).

On top of that, there are things CoH had going for it (first MMO of its kind, super-heroes are situation/powers based) and things Cryptic did on CoH that allowed for a lot more content.

In particular, I think a persistent overworld with enemies in it is easier to generate lots of content -- and gropup content -- for and the reuse of maps/dungeons let a small team do it. STO, oddly enough, went for the approach of generating LOTS of distinct maps with a small team even though the Star Trek IP tends to be more bottled up and heavily recycle a very small number of well done sets.

Five TRULY good and heavily recycled ship interiors and 5 "matte background" planet maps would have been better as a basis for STO content than the dozens of maps and hundreds of procedurally generated maps they did. And would have allowed for 5x the content, easily.
Lt. Commander
# 238 Kudos to cryptic
11-30-2011, 07:06 AM
I have been playing since open the open beta, and a monthly pay to player.

I like the new changes overall. Once it goes live Cryptic will refine and refine.
They always have from the beginning. Some will not like and some will, I haven't liked everything.
But I still play because I like the game.

As a Paying player am I mad about free to play, no because I will get bonuses P2P won't.

So Cryptic keep the tribbles coming...
Lt. Commander
# 239
11-30-2011, 07:41 AM
Dear Devs:

Also a life timer here, and reconciled myself to the reality that it was money poorly spent within the first months of play.

I've kept the game installed, and use the launcher to patch up but, I honest can't remember the last time I actually logged in and did anything. Somewhere in the spring I think.

I've been beta testing a new MMO which is currently slated for 12/20/2011 release. I like it and have been combing over my HD looking for places to clear space as permanent home for that product when I saw the STO folder.

So, I popped onto the forums to see what the state of the game is, and to flip through dev posts to see if there is anything that gives me a reason to keep STO installed. I am not seeing it.

This isn't a threat, this isn't spite, though there is certainly disappointment. I saw such potential for STO but, it remains unrealized.

So, I chalk up the money paid for a lifetime sub as another life lesson learned and move on.

I'm thinking it won't be too far into the new year when Cryptic decides there's just no reason to keep paying to keep the servers up, and STO goes the way of Auto Assault, Tabula Rasa, et al.

C'est la vie.
Lt. Commander
# 240
11-30-2011, 08:54 AM
Sadly, Cryptic and sto are rapidly approaching the JOKE of the mmo world.

Not even sony got that bad with swg!