Lt. Commander
# 11
11-29-2011, 02:37 PM
Actually this is one of the decisions I like. STO was as close to being a game without levels that there was. Everyone hates leveling. Everyone just wants to play his end game character, and have something to do with it. No one actually wants to have to spend time earning the "fun" character by playing through a bunch of stages, just because gamers in the eighties were overly influenced by dungeons and dragons.

If all the leveling content had been made available in a scaled format from the beginning, with mission replay and regular featured episodes, then there never would have been complaints about lack of endgame content and this game would be HUGE.

Fast leveling is second only to NO leveling... so more power to them.
Lt. Commander
# 12
11-29-2011, 04:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitain Wilhelm
Perhaps less. I reached VA when I was to start the romulan FE. So, 2 FE episodes not completed, all the cardassian front and borg front and undine front not complete.
When I levelled a toon all the way to VA on Tribble, I wasn't able to get through more than half the story missions before reaching VA. Part of the reason for this was the forced story progression and the fact that a lot of the minimum levels to do missions had been raised significantly. I know they allow you to "skip" missions now, but I'm not sure if they put the level caps back where they belong.

The Doff system really speeds up level progression once you get going. I think I was a Captain for about a day.
Lt. Commander
# 13
11-29-2011, 04:58 PM
I am concerned that faster leveling will make moot all of the C-Store ships that Cryptic is selling for tiers below Captain. Why spend on a ship that you will outgrow in a single day? It seems like they are working at cross-purposes with themselves.
Lt. Commander
# 14
11-29-2011, 05:01 PM
I dont't understand too, why we need faster leveling? I'm very confused. On off the badliest Thing in this Game is it, that you are really fast Vice Admiral. And now you get faster Vice Admiral. Sry Cryptic, but THIS is the badliest Thing of this patch. I'm realy realy sad
Lt. Commander
# 15
11-29-2011, 05:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiClari View Post
I am concerned that faster leveling will make moot all of the C-Store ships that Cryptic is selling for tiers below Captain. Why spend on a ship that you will outgrow in a single day? It seems like they are working at cross-purposes with themselves.
Because its console will live forever. You're not buying ships anymore, you're buying consoles in a ship-shaped container.
Lt. Commander
# 16
11-29-2011, 07:29 PM
Yes, but the reduced useful lifespan of the ship is still a disincentive vs. the old leveling rate.
Lt. Commander
# 17
11-30-2011, 12:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneemann View Post
They already setting prepatching up, so no more testing on tribble. Leading us to:

a) no change to holodecks leveling speed --> leaving us with an ep not knowing whats going on in his game
b) current "tested" tribble level advancement goes live --> cryptic mislead / lied to us about "just for testing purposes"
c) they come up with something else aimed somewhere between live and tribbe --> leaving us with devs ignoring their testing environment and pushing stuff untested live to the now paid beta test server [seeing what the doff system went through from patch to patch possible the worst option].
Yeah, because they can't change *any* of the prepatch files at all once they put them up there...
Lt. Commander
# 18
11-30-2011, 01:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Destinii
Yeah, because they can't change *any* of the prepatch files at all once they put them up there...
They could, but it would still be c).

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoratusAlpha
Because its console will live forever. You're not buying ships anymore, you're buying consoles in a ship-shaped container.
This. You'll be buying the ship for the small timeframe you level in it, but the console and sometimes the costume will still be useful up to VA. Basically instead of directly selling a p2w console in the cstore they pack it in a ship and sell this to you.
Lt. Commander
# 19
11-30-2011, 01:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneemann View Post
You'll be buying the ship for the small timeframe you level in it, but the console and sometimes the costume will still be useful up to VA. Basically instead of directly selling a p2w console in the cstore they pack it in a ship and sell this to you.
While I agree that it's about getting a console in a ship wrapping, I don't think this necessarily means pay to win. If the consoles are carefully balanced to create new tactical options by adding abilities in conjunction with costs then you are simply diversifying the playing environment and not creating a "win" item. Each console item costs whatever you would have otherwise had in its console slot... if the item gives you more power than that then it should also come with a corresponding drawback. Have the devs succeeded in doing that? While I could argue yes and no item by item, I think they are trying.

I don't think it's about paying to win, I think it's about paying to be more interesting... and I don't mind paying to fine tune a game to my preferred play style so long as the basic game is interesting in and of itself.

As long as these consoles call back to something in a trek movie or episode in a way that doesn't disrupt pvp, then I call them a good thing.
Lt. Commander
# 20
11-30-2011, 01:58 AM
Yes by now they seem to try to balance those consoles out not being blatant p2w. However they are designed to give the user a obvious advantage over the "average" player without such a console - which makes sense since they won't sell otherwise. Therefore I say they are not a build in I-Win button, but for sure p2w equipment, since they can make the difference, and aren't obtainable otherwise than in the cstore.