Lt. Commander
# 1 F2P Without Dilithium
11-30-2011, 12:08 AM
So everyone is complaining their arcade tokens (emblems) aren't being converted to $$$ (Dilithium) "fairly." So for a minute forget Dilithium.

Emblems, Marks, ect all remains as is on live. WIth the same limited/obsolete buying power. F2P is going ahead exactly the same otherwise. The newest, and best gear all requires the same brand new currency (salvage) that only drops in STFs.

What would your 1000s of emblems, marks, ect be worth then? What would you have done with all that currency if Dilithium was never implemented and all the new items continued to cost salvage?

The very idea that marks 1-4 are worth ANYTHING but a few EC at this point is ignoring all buying power, usefulness, motivation, reality behind that currency.
Lt. Commander
# 2
11-30-2011, 01:11 AM
So what you are saying is:

If it wasn't for the conversion, your marks would still be worth nothing...

correct?
Lt. Commander
# 3
11-30-2011, 01:15 AM
I see you go without Consoles for your ship, don't craft and only want [Borg] gear.

Otherwise you wouldn have made that post.
Lt. Commander
# 4
11-30-2011, 04:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDR_Mat
So what you are saying is:

If it wasn't for the conversion, your marks would still be worth nothing...

correct?
I think the suggestion is that a "fair" conversion would lead to inflation which would devalue the work of average or very casual players in terms of selling dilithium for C-Points.

That's an angle I hadn't considered but it may be true. I'm also not really interested in using dilithium for much beyond earning C-Store points; I plan to gear exclusively from item drops and episodes.

I imagine most casual or average players never farmed emblems to begin with. I never really did. Converting dilithium to emblems at a fair rate would mean dilithium is worth LESS per Cryptic Point because there'd be more availability of dilithium in the economy.

Of course, this doesn't address the simpler solution:

Cryptic could have just converted, say, up to 250 emblems worth of dilithium into C-Points at a fair rate and then converted the rest into ore at the same rate, acknowledging that would mean the "perk"of being highly active before as being that you'd need to be less active until your dilithium gets converted. Of course, that just means, basically, that each 125 emblems above 250 would buy you a week of inactivity and would still result in massive inflation, just spread out over a few months.

Looking at this, I think the BEST solution would be if they just put up dirt cheap crafting material blocks for emblems for around 7 days (along with a sale on emblem gear) and held off on the F2P patch to give everyone 7 days to spend their excess emblems down.
Lt. Commander
# 5
11-30-2011, 04:51 AM
People are grinding and storing currencies worth nothing right now. They are only complaining because they see game currency as something they work for as if it is real money in real life.

They need to do it this way to prevent everyone managing to buy everything and free users getting their hands on a lot of c-store points for next to nothing which is what will happen if we feel like we're being giving a massive amount of dilithium on toons already well equipped. The market will be flooded.
Lt. Commander
# 6
11-30-2011, 09:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anazonda View Post
I see you go without Consoles for your ship, don't craft and only want [Borg] gear.

Otherwise you wouldn have made that post.
People with "1000s of emblems, marks" collecting dust dont need more X/XI consoles or crafted gear for themselves. Or can do as suggested and buy them before F2P hits live.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zypher2011
People are grinding and storing currencies worth nothing right now. They are only complaining because they see game currency as something they work for as if it is real money in real life.
Exactly.
Lt. Commander
# 7
11-30-2011, 09:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by openair View Post
People with "1000s of emblems, marks"
I agree. They should have stopped playing instead.
Lt. Commander
# 8
11-30-2011, 02:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KitsuneRommel
I agree. They should have stopped playing instead.
The lack of content is a different problem, and is not reason enough to sink Cryptic and the game sometime after F2P launches. A problem potentially resolved/alleviated by Dilithium and F2P.