Lt. Commander
# 71
11-30-2011, 04:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgwynne View Post
Many of the updates seem really interesting and fun. I really like the idea of lore missions and getting to explore more of the 'story'. I've only been playing the game for a few weeks, so I'm still working my way through the original content, so new content is not as important to me at the moment as I can see it being to others.

Confused by all the negativity here on the forums, though. If you're unhappy with the game, why not just stop playing?
Unless you've tried the game on Tribble - you're NOT playing the game Tribble testers have been since October. If you're playing all Holodeck all that will change tjhis week.

Since you ARE new, it does show that the content created to date still holds up (and that good); but someof us have been playing since the original closed beta in 2009 - and have seen virtually NO new content in nearly a year.

Also, they have been PROMISING new content, setting dates that we would see this new content; then constantly pushing those datwes back since Marrch of 2011.

The Featured Episode Series 4 (now promised to be released 'soon' after the F2P official launch of 1/17/12 somtime in February 2012); was ORIGINALLY slated to appear in July 2010 - then September, then October or November. The Borg Red Alerts were slated for June, but delayed unti September. Also, they were supposed to be the start of a 4 pronged 'event' series - leading up to the Borg trying to assimilate and invade Earth/Q'Nos running rhtoughout Season 4 (amd through at least November 2011.)

The above was all scrapped for the F2P conversion and in th F2P conversion we're only getting the second phase of the 'Borg Invasion' events, etc. (And this is all outlined in the 'Engineering Reports' and the 'Ask Cryptoc' forum segments we used to get on a monthly basis from the former STO EP Daniel Stahl from March 2010 - August 2011.

I'll bet you've never heard of these before; and that's not surprising as they stopped completely after August; as has the majoity of any real upfront STO Dev <--> Player communication (with a few very notable exceptions that HAVE been appreciated by us long timers); which was a hallmarrk of Cryptic and STO PRIOR to the acquisition by PWE.

I undderstand you are enjoying the game and hope you continue to - buyt honestly, the patience of those of us who haven't had new content i nearly a year (but have had the PROMISE of new content dangled like a carrot - only to see F2P sprund on us early; and while I don't have a problem with F2P in general as Cryptic did an excellent job converting their Champions Online MMO; I DO have an issue wit a loot of what they are doing to convert STO to F2P because it's about as much of a polar opposite to what they did in CO as they can get.)

Stormshade once said openly "PWE does NOT want to make STO into an 'Asian Grind' MMO.."

But honestly, from what they're implemmenting, you could've fooled me. Is everything they are doing fior F2P bad? Nope. But that said, a lot more is in a lot of players opinions; and many started out with constructive feedback, the majority of which seems to have been (IMO) ignored. There's also the fact that - for longtime players who's only option was to rweplay existing content for Emblems = when converted into the new Refined Dilithium and Dilithium Ore - Cryptis is taking 30% off the top (ie they're losing 30% of what they worked for) - and Cryptic is also subjecting the rest if it's above a certain limit to FURTHER diminishing returns.

Also, most of what they aree now caling 'Season 5' was slayed and promised to be a part of Season 4.

^^^
There's still more; but the above is part of the reason those of us who've be n around from the EXTREMLY ROCKY start of this game's lifecycle are not all that enthused about Cryptic's latest additions and ppromises regarding STO.

But it's good you enjoy the game because new players is all they want and seem to care about. The players that helped this game survive to the point where they could make this change (especially those who shelled out for an LTS) they couldn't care less about -> And I base that on their actions (because they like to claim otherwise in their posts, bujt IMO talk in cheap - and we who've been here from day one have seen A LOT of talk and constant excuses and [romises of content and improvements that never seem to materialize.

That's the source of a lot of frusttration with STO for many.
Lt. Commander
# 72
11-30-2011, 05:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexraptor View Post
Yess lets cheer for the season that screws over all current subscribers.

Because its an undeniable fact that in one way or another, everyone is loosing something with S5.
You really need to lighten up a bit and stop all the doom and gloom.

Some people can never be pleased...
Lt. Commander
# 73
11-30-2011, 05:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KitsuneRommel
The thing is many players here are Trekkies/ers first and MMO players second (or none at all). Significant updates should be more in-line with this than this.
I concur, the more the better, when they said they had intent to get FE's out near monthly, I giggled with glee.
in fact this was what got me to buy the LTS. We both know how this ended.
Lt. Commander
# 74
11-30-2011, 05:05 PM
Doc, you and I have been friends on this game for a very good portion of my tenure here, however, I have to respectfully disagree and say that I am not enthusiastic for Season 5: "Bait and Switch".
Lt. Commander
# 75
11-30-2011, 05:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveAngelis
Some people can never be pleased...
Just because you don't even try. How about... new ships (not c-store), new featured episodes and new pvp maps? I'm pretty sure that would please many.
Lt. Commander
# 76
11-30-2011, 06:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanshi View Post
Maybe because people want to try to help the devs make it better...

Then again, I could just be crazy for thinking that.
Judging by the extreme negativity and illogical nonsense espoused by the majority (not all, but the majority) of comments I have read on this forum, I'm not really sure exactly how it could be considered helping to make things better.

By all means, make suggestions as to how things could change. But it's very tiresome to open almost any thread, even a thread that starts positively, and read the SAME complaints over and over. That's pretty unproductive.
Lt. Commander
# 77
11-30-2011, 06:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armsman View Post
That's the source of a lot of frusttration with STO for many.
Thank you for giving this background. By no means do I intend to invalidate the obvious and genuine frustration of many players who feel Cryptic has very much let them down. I just see that as a separate issue from the near constant complaints on this forum.

I understand why users would use this forum as an outlet to express concern to developers/Cryptic, but from just a cursory glance, there are literally HUNDREDS of posts about the same issues over and over again. That can be very tiresome, especially if you're just trying to read or learn about a topic, only for it to be hijacked with a laundry list of complaints.

If the game is no longer worth the money and I am unhappy with the changes, then the solution is to no longer pay money and leave the game. People have given feedback. Some feedback has been accepted by the developers, some has not. The game moves forward. Complaining about changes is very different than offering constructive responses before decisions are made.
Lt. Commander
# 78
11-30-2011, 06:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgwynne View Post
Judging by the extreme negativity and illogical nonsense espoused by the majority (not all, but the majority) of comments I have read on this forum, I'm not really sure exactly how it could be considered helping to make things better.

By all means, make suggestions as to how things could change. But it's very tiresome to open almost any thread, even a thread that starts positively, and read the SAME complaints over and over. That's pretty unproductive.
True, but many of the people who've been negative *have* provided useful feedback. Now they feel totally ignored and are now cynical and jaded as a result of said feeling... myself included.
Lt. Commander
# 79
11-30-2011, 06:56 PM
I think some feel, myself included, that calling this update "Season 5" was a bit cheap. For a couple months now we have thought of this build as the F2P build not a season build. Granted the update is large enough to be a season update. But hey, STO could still be the barebones version we got back on launch day. I'm just happy this game is still around regardless of its state of development.
Lt. Commander
# 80
11-30-2011, 08:29 PM
I am incredibly excited over the changes and I believe the development team have worked very hard to improve the game to where it is today. Can't wait for the changes to hit holodeck shortly.

As some would say, I am part of the silent majority who are excited for the new changes. I personally believe they will breathe new life into the game.