Lt. Commander
This is a repost of information I posted as a reply to another thread. I wanted to put it here too, for greater visibility:

I wanted to let you all know about some steps that we are taking to help prevent a repeat of the long foundry downtime we saw with Season 4. We have some new tech that allows us to do a full republish test of all existing holodeck UGC projects before we push the build live, and this testing is happening now.

When Season 5 goes live, all existing UGC projects will be automatically withdrawn and republished. This is something we have to do after most major and some minor releases, because the format of our runtime data changes as we develop the code. The effect will be that when the game first comes up there will be little or no content in the foundry, but all projects should reappear over the next 8 or 10 hours as they each finish republishing.

We are planning to disable foundry editing until Monday. This is to ensure that no data corruption occurs on edited projects due to newly introduced bugs. Fixing this type of data corruption was the biggest reason that it took so long to get everything running again in season 4.
Lt. Commander
# 2
11-30-2011, 11:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehpic View Post
I wanted to let you all know about some steps that we are taking to help prevent a repeat of the long foundry downtime we saw with Season 4. We have some new tech that allows us to do a full republish test of all existing holodeck UGC projects before we push the build live, and this testing is happening now.
That's great to know Rehpic thanks.

However, am I correct in assuming that gameplay changes may still affect re-published missions adversely? I mean, you guys can't truly test each and every Foundry mission out there by playing it, so to your knowledge when we re-test our own missions, are there any particular gameplay bugs we should pay attention to?
Lt. Commander
# 3
11-30-2011, 12:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehpic
This is a repost of information I posted as a reply to another thread. I wanted to put it here too, for greater visibility:

When Season 5 goes live, all existing UGC projects will be automatically withdrawn and republished. This is something we have to do after most major and some minor releases, because the format of our runtime data changes as we develop the code. The effect will be that when the game first comes up there will be little or no content in the foundry, but all projects should reappear over the next 8 or 10 hours as they each finish republishing.

We are planning to disable foundry editing for at least the first few hours when season 5 goes live. This is to ensure that no data corruption occurs on edited projects due to newly introduced bugs. Fixing this type of data corruption was the biggest reason that it took so long to get everything running again in season 4.
Nice to see you guys are doing more to ensure existing Foundry database integrity prior to a major patch and republish situation, I really hope it works; BUT I do hope if you find something major - you'll at least give Foundry authors a major heads up to allow us to withdraw beforehand if we feel it's prudent.
Lt. Commander
# 4
11-30-2011, 12:14 PM
Good to know this! Now lets hope all goes well.
Thanks
Lt. Commander
# 5
11-30-2011, 12:36 PM
Thanks for letting us know! Great to hear!
Lt. Commander
# 6
11-30-2011, 12:40 PM
Godspeed to us all.
Lt. Commander
# 7
11-30-2011, 12:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordOfPit View Post
That's great to know Rehpic thanks.

However, am I correct in assuming that gameplay changes may still affect re-published missions adversely? I mean, you guys can't truly test each and every Foundry mission out there by playing it, so to your knowledge when we re-test our own missions, are there any particular gameplay bugs we should pay attention to?
Yes, this is exactly why we are keeping foundry editing turned off when the release initially goes live. We are not able to test every foundry mission, or even a majority of them, so we will be looking for feedback from players on the first day to see if anything serious is broken with the republished missions. The author of a mission is the one who is best able to tell if it is behaving the same after the patch as before, so please do play through your missions after Season 5 goes live and let us know if anything new is broken.
Lt. Commander
# 8
11-30-2011, 12:50 PM
Quote:
When Season 5 goes live, all existing UGC projects will be automatically withdrawn and republished.
If the version of the project in the Foundry does not match the published version (ie. storyline enhancements partily completed) what will the automatic republished results be ?

Quote:
We are planning to disable foundry editing for at least the first few hours when season 5 goes live.
Was consideration given to locking down the Foundry Editor prior (ie. 12-24 before patch applied) to reduce the unavailability post-release and provide extra lead time for any unexpected republishing issues ?
Lt. Commander
# 9
11-30-2011, 12:52 PM
Great, thanks for the heads up.
Lt. Commander
# 10
11-30-2011, 12:53 PM
Quote:
Yes, this is exactly why we are keeping foundry editing turned off when the release initially goes live. We are not able to test every foundry mission, or even a majority of them, so we will be looking for feedback from players on the first day to see if anything serious is broken with the republished missions. The author of a mission is the one who is best able to tell if it is behaving the same after the patch as before, so please do play through your missions after Season 5 goes live and let us know if anything new is broken.
IS it also possible to lock down the ability to place stars on any missions for the duration of the editing lockout?