Lt. Commander
# 21 Catch 22
11-30-2011, 06:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehpic
You can certainly do that if you are concerned. If you withdraw the mission yourself it will not be automatically republished. It will just be unavailable until you publish it again yourself, which will have to wait until after we re-enable Foundry editing.
So, let me see if I understand this:

If we want to ensure that our missions DON'T get one-starred due to S5 bugs, we have the option to unpublish it.

However, if we unpublish it, we won't be able to republish it until the editing feature is turned on. Which will happen once it is determined that S5 did not cause many serious bugs.

However, with our mission unpublished and therefore unplayable on Holodeck, and with the editor locked so we can't manually check or use the mission preview function, we won't be able to play it to see if it is broken by any S5 bugs.

In conclusion, the missions that will be tested for bugs will be the ones that remain published. Consequently, they will be open to poor reviews and criticism for something beyond the author's control.

I, for one, politely decline to be one of the guinea pigs.
Lt. Commander
# 22
11-30-2011, 06:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KineticImpulser
I, for one, politely decline to be one of the guinea pigs.

Yes... I politely decline too, I was going take off my mission anyway.. but I still think is nice that they told us what was going to happend and that they are working in the foundry.
Lt. Commander
# 23
11-30-2011, 06:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerritouru View Post
Yes... I politely decline too, I was going take off my mission anyway.. but I still think is nice that they told us what was going to happend and that they are working in the foundry.
Agreed. A little more warning would have been nice to give people a chance to hear about it and decide how they wanted to respond.

On the other hand, it looks like they only made the final decision today, so that might not have been possible.

[Mantra]Foundry is technically still in beta. Foundry is technically still in beta. Foundry is technically still in beta.[/Mantra]
Lt. Commander
# 24
12-01-2011, 12:34 AM
Quote:
We are planning to disable foundry editing for at least the first few hours when season 5 goes live. This is to ensure that no data corruption occurs on edited projects due to newly introduced bugs. Fixing this type of data corruption was the biggest reason that it took so long to get everything running again in season 4.
Your ounce of prevention is worth a gigaton of care.
Lt. Commander
# 25
12-01-2011, 05:43 AM
Thank you, Rehpic, for keeping us up to date. I can't tell you how much that's appreciated.

I weighed up the pros and cons, and decided not to withdraw 'The Spirits of Ramok Nor' and 'City of the Polmar Ree'. It would be a terrible shame if they ended up getting 1-starred due to bugs outside of my control, but the only way Cryptic is going to be able to fix bugs is if there are some missions out there when Season 5 hits Holodeck. My two missions are long, have complicated maps, lots of dialogue and triggers, and use pretty much every Foundry trick in the book. So they'll be a good test of whether stuff is working.

Meanwhile, my fingers will be getting cramp from all the crossing they'll be doing :p

Fortune favors the bold! ... I hope
Lt. Commander
# 26
12-01-2011, 08:52 AM
I'll leave mine up.. i'm not in this game for the reviews.. am in it for the money and the women...oh.. wait..
Lt. Commander
# 27
12-01-2011, 09:43 AM
Quote:
We just had our meeting to approve the Season 5 patch to go live tomorrow. We decided that we will leave Foundry editing off over the weekend to give people ample time to test their republished projects. So expect Foundry editing to be turned off tomorrow when the game comes back up with Season 5, and editing to be re-enabled some time early next week.
OK, well I'm not really happy about this. It's great you want to make sure that things are working right, but turning off editing for the better part of a week really isn't great. It's only Thursday right now, so "over the weekend" means at least 3 days, and probably more like 4-5.

Why not just turn off the ability to publish for a week? Why completely disable the editing even of unpublished projects? I was planning to work on my mission over the next few days and now that's completely out. Getting zero advanced notice is not really fun. I suppose the only bright side is I finally have no excuse not to play Deus Ex: Human Revolution.

I also wish there was the option to unpublish my mission if it turns out it's broken. If the point is to see if the Foundry is working, then if it clearly isn't, how does it hurt to allow someone to pull their project? It's not going to be great getting a bunch of 1 stars if something turns out to be broken while we have no control of fixing it.

Going back to the editor being disabled, I don't understand why this is even necessary? Why can't you just back up the data in case there's a problem, and assume there isn't one. If there is, let people revert to the backup data. I think this is pretty lame overall.

I have to be honest, had I seen this before it was too late, I'd probably have pulled my mission. I am willing to risk the conversion under normal circumstances, but not being able to unpublish if something is broken really bothers me.
Lt. Commander
# 28
12-01-2011, 09:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by alimac30 View Post
Thank you, Rehpic, for keeping us up to date. I can't tell you how much that's appreciated.

I weighed up the pros and cons, and decided not to withdraw 'The Spirits of Ramok Nor' and 'City of the Polmar Ree'. It would be a terrible shame if they ended up getting 1-starred due to bugs outside of my control, but the only way Cryptic is going to be able to fix bugs is if there are some missions out there when Season 5 hits Holodeck. My two missions are long, have complicated maps, lots of dialogue and triggers, and use pretty much every Foundry trick in the book. So they'll be a good test of whether stuff is working.

Meanwhile, my fingers will be getting cramp from all the crossing they'll be doing :p

Fortune favors the bold! ... I hope
Iif it makes you feel any better, if there's a problem, I'm pretty sure we'll be going down together.
Lt. Commander
# 29
12-01-2011, 11:41 AM
I wanted to post a quick update. We had a little operational glitch with the republishing this morning, but we got it worked out in about an hour and restarted it. We are currently completed republishing about 20% of the projects and they should all be done by the end of the day.
Lt. Commander
# 30
12-01-2011, 11:41 AM
It's okay - by late January 2012, I have a sinking feeling the Foundry will be a cesspool anyway.

Why?

Cryptic may feel it's a good idea allowing Silver players access to the foundry by selling slots for Dilithium (the new in game currency); BUT as many will then have access 100% free - we'll see a BUNCH of inappropriate Foundry content that'ss sit available for months bbecayse the Cryptic staff won't have the manpower to contain it all or keep up with it - and those banned will just make another free Silver account and start all over.

And don't get started on the amount of 1 star griefers or prank 'report for inapropriate content' hassles some of teh Silvers will bring to the STO foundry

(And this isn't a rant against Silvers per se as I'm sure 99% will be fine and just interested in experiencing the game but the 1% who get their kicks from griefing will cause a lot of havoc.)

So, don't hold your rating too tightly because once F2P actually hits, it'll be a VERY different experience for the Foundry in general.