Lt. Commander
# 31
12-03-2011, 09:11 PM
From what I've seen, heard, and read STOR is pretty much WoW with lightsabers. I'm sure if that type of game appeals to you and that style of PvP then it will be tons of fun. If you don't like the major grind of PVE to be competetive in PvP as well as the cookie cutter builds and rock, paper, scissors approach then it might not. WoW left me with such a bad taste in my mouth after a few years of being in a top raid guild that I wouldn't touch STOR with a 10' pole. Not too mention the number of children that will be playing that game will be staggering.
Lt. Commander
# 32
12-03-2011, 10:25 PM
It has become very clear to me that systems that allow you to freely choose your powers and odd combos are completely and forever incapable of being balanced in the realm of PvP... well.. Guild Wars did it,.. but then again.. they are a darn good company. There has to be structure inside a framework.

Yes. kids will be playing that game.

They play this one too

Oh, yeah... wait to you see how many kids are on after F2P. I bet the ratio will be higher than TOR.
Lt. Commander
# 33
12-03-2011, 10:36 PM
I'm not saying STOR is going to stink or that it's going to be great. All I'm saying is that I have every reason to believe that it's going to be a PVE first game that relies heavily upon a PVE grind for gear to be at the "top" of the PvP ranks. That style of game is not for me. Of course, WoW has 12 million subs so there are plenty of folks that love that model.
Lt. Commander
# 34 United by a common enemy...
12-04-2011, 04:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaruslothran View Post

Do I expect it to be perfectly balanced.. no
Do I expect problems to be fixed much faster than Cryptic ever would. Heck yeah.
I knew we'd eventually see eye to eye on something, lol.
Lt. Commander
# 35
12-04-2011, 10:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilawpilath View Post
Even D&D can be more balanced then this (Depending on the System and the Dungeon master of course )
D&D 4.
Me.
Lt. Commander
# 36
12-04-2011, 11:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorFury View Post
I'm not saying STOR is going to stink or that it's going to be great. All I'm saying is that I have every reason to believe that it's going to be a PVE first game that relies heavily upon a PVE grind for gear to be at the "top" of the PvP ranks. That style of game is not for me. Of course, WoW has 12 million subs so there are plenty of folks that love that model.
STO was exactly the same, At the top level PVP comps, everyone needed borg set at least the 3 parts minus the shield, the set bonus of extra hull regen and shield proc healing is just too good to pass up and still is.
The amount of STF grind, our fleet had to do on so many chars just to bring them up to battle readiness due to cryptics retarded notion of balance, was unbelievable and painful. Being forced to PVE everyone hated doing it except tide cause hes a roleplayer.
Not to mention having to do skirmish for the subspace modulator and reman feature series for a TSS officer due to them being hard to come by on KDF side.

So STO is no different to WOW, SWTOR and whatever other game where you will be forced to do PVE missions at end game in order to get the required gear for competitive PVP.
Lt. Commander
# 37
12-04-2011, 11:46 AM
Comparing WoW PVE raid requirements and faction grinding to STO is a far stretch. 40 man raids waiting for a select piece of gear that is for your class and then hoping you have enough "DKP" to get it vs. running 3 lame STF's for a set is like apples to oranges. Or even the old PvP grind in WoW to Grand Marshall took a long, long time.

Not too mention you can still be competetive without the Borg set. One of the things I actually enjoy with STO is the fact you can go away from the game for relative extended periods of time and still be able to PvP competetively. I'm not looking to convince anyone of anything but I'll take the moneyline on betting SWOR is going to be very similar to the WoW model. Good, bad, whatever, it is what it is. If that style of game is what you are looking for then I'm sure it will be a blast.