Lt. Commander
# 21
12-01-2011, 05:12 PM
Hmm. Interesting timing. On one hand, it's worth it if I'm going to sub for more than 7 or 8 months because of the gold stipend...on the other hand I have not had a chance to really see how Gold and Silver accounts differ in the real game environment.

I wish there was a gold/silver matrix up already, that would help me make up my mind about a lifetime.
Lt. Commander
# 22
12-01-2011, 05:16 PM
The game has changed a lot today. But one goes into an MMO with the understanding that they're supposed to change over time. Had I not already taken the dive during the Headstart in 2010, I admit that I would be tempted to consider doing it here. It's a good deal.
Lt. Commander
# 23
12-01-2011, 05:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simale
I stand corrected, it seems many players can't wait to give you their money.
No matter how much you ignore us and fail to deliver.
No. There are some of us that are not overly cynical, but instead are informed and understanding.

We know and understand the following:
  1. Perpetual tanked and transferred the IP to Cryptic, with no code. CBS said this license expires in two years and to get on it or else.
  2. Cryptic was forced to rush the game and released it in 2 years (WoW took 4 to 5 years for initial release)
  3. Atari........
  4. Atari........ Are you listening?
  5. The sale from Atari to PWE.... it was like a month where it was a ghost town(This is normal for big acquisitions)
  6. After PWE bought the joint, they threw the brakes on whatever and started working on what you saw hit tribble after they wiped it. You don't think that took them a week to make it did you? Hello!?!?! McFly?!?!!?
  7. 3 Months of F2P Beta testing and development.
  8. And here we are it's Dec 1st....

Now.... If these boys had full reigns to do what they please.... with CBS not telling them they had to get the game out or else, or a parent company sucking the life out of them.... The following might have happened instead and I would not have to see all this nonsense on the forums:
  1. The game would be coming out soon or might have just been released.... and would be better since they could focus on development and not maintaining and developing it for the last two years....
  2. You wouldn't have all these broken promises because they wouldn't be getting jerked around by a parent company that just wants to take the money and run. You wouldn't have to go through the total PIA of an acquisition.
  3. Would would have seen fully developed faction since they would have more development time and resources.
  4. Cryptic would be changing gears constantly because of all the problems mentioned previously. You think we are mad.... I bet the devs haven't loved it either.

These guys have been dealt a bad hand and they are doing their best to get out of it now that they can. I'm buying my life time sub because it's Star Trek,. not because I'm worried that getting 15 alts is now going to be tougher.

Sometimes they tell us things and they don't happen or happen differently because everything they tell us is not fed through a PR machine. If it was, you would know nothing until the second it drops and you would have no input.

Imagine a popular cell phone company who's favorite color is red running these forums:
  • Forum Mod on a Wednesday "We don't know anything about a Defiant +1, it's the first I've heard of it.
  • Forum Mod a week later: Hey look at this new Defiant +1 that we are so very proud to release today.... we have been working on it for 3 months!
Lt. Commander
# 24
12-01-2011, 05:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mellestad View Post
Hmm. Interesting timing. On one hand, it's worth it if I'm going to sub for more than 7 or 8 months because of the gold stipend...on the other hand I have not had a chance to really see how Gold and Silver accounts differ in the real game environment.

I wish there was a gold/silver matrix up already, that would help me make up my mind about a lifetime.
Matrix is here -> http://startrekonline.com/f2p_features
Lt. Commander
# 25
12-01-2011, 05:44 PM
Ouch. Kinda wish I hadn't jumped the gun on the LTS.

$200 (before applicable taxes) isn't a bad deal at all considering the value inherent to an LTS and the payoff over time. I'd say if you've been thinking about it for a while, and aren't disgusted by the F2P thing, now is the best chance you're likely to ever get to ante up to LTS.
Lt. Commander
# 26
12-01-2011, 08:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeathenStorm View Post
Usual warning to non-US players here.

The price quoted does not include VAT, so add an extra 20% on top. You won't actually be charged for the VAT until you've agreed on the base price, so buyer beware.

As the Lifetime is still a sizable lump of money, the VAT will make a difference and could push accounts over the edge this close to the holiday season.
Indeed.

Another thing to keep in mind is, if cryptic charges you in US$ instead of your native currency, the different payment methods (card/paypal) may have different currency conversion rates that track significantly behind the current rate. They may also charge a conversion commission.

When I've bought from Cryptic they've always charged me in GBP , and IIRC theres an soption in you "My Account settings to shoose your currency.

Paypal may save you some money.
VAT is currently 20% here in the UK. But whenever I buy from Cryptic through paypal, I only get charged 15%. Normally small potatoes when it comes to C-Store points, but when you're talking about an LTS that's a 6+ saving by my reckoning (enough for some extra C-Points :p). As always, your mileage may vary.
Lt. Commander
# 27
12-01-2011, 09:09 PM
I wonder if you can put a LTS on layaway... The ending date of that stuff just makes it seem like its a conspiracy against me
Lt. Commander
# 28
12-01-2011, 10:48 PM
I was waiting for my tax return this spring to get it. but i think i will pony up now since im getting my holiday bonus 8)
Lt. Commander
# 29
12-01-2011, 11:08 PM
Go for the lifetime while it's on sale, it'll never be cheaper. In fact I'm jealous I only got 20% off at the 1-year anniversary and still kicking myself for not going LTS at launch.

However good luck leveling and equipping those shiny new Borg toons in the dilithium economy
Lt. Commander
# 30
12-02-2011, 12:21 AM
I bought my lifetime during the January sale. And despite some misgivings about the F2P transition I don't regret it.

My advice to anyone who isn't sure about remaining gold when F2P officially starts or if they want to switch to silver, get the lifetime deal. It's the best of both worlds. All the vet rewards, and gold account convinces, and the stipend, plus after purchasing the lifetime you won't have to pay another dime to play the game (unless you want to) just like the silvers.

Justify it as something that pays for itself after X many months, or a one-time surcharge, whatever makes you happy. But if you still enjoy the game (as I do) then it's totally worth the money.