Lt. Commander
# 31
12-02-2011, 02:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by biglcny View Post
[*]Atari........[*]Atari........ Are you listening? [*]The sale from Atari to PWE.... it was like a month where it was a ghost town(This is normal for big acquisitions)

Atari indeed! Atari almost killed Dungeons & Dragons Online, and Turbine had to take legal action to throw them off of their backs so they could make DDO the success it should have been all along. An unmatched combat and character development system in any MMO, and Atari likely was the anvil around it's neck. It would be no surprise to learn that this was the case for STO.
Lt. Commander
# 32
12-02-2011, 02:49 AM
Although I won't buy a LTS I'm looking into extending my subscription just for the C-Store point stipend.
LTS isn't worth as I don't get enough out of it in comparison to silver players.
Lt. Commander
# 33
12-02-2011, 12:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by biglcny View Post
No. There are some of us that are not overly cynical, but instead are informed and understanding.

We know and understand the following:
  1. Perpetual tanked and transferred the IP to Cryptic, with no code. CBS said this license expires in two years and to get on it or else.
  2. Cryptic was forced to rush the game and released it in 2 years (WoW took 4 to 5 years for initial release)
  3. Atari........
  4. Atari........ Are you listening?
  5. The sale from Atari to PWE.... it was like a month where it was a ghost town(This is normal for big acquisitions)
  6. After PWE bought the joint, they threw the brakes on whatever and started working on what you saw hit tribble after they wiped it. You don't think that took them a week to make it did you? Hello!?!?! McFly?!?!!?
  7. 3 Months of F2P Beta testing and development.
  8. And here we are it's Dec 1st....

Now.... If these boys had full reigns to do what they please.... with CBS not telling them they had to get the game out or else, or a parent company sucking the life out of them.... The following might have happened instead and I would not have to see all this nonsense on the forums:
  1. The game would be coming out soon or might have just been released.... and would be better since they could focus on development and not maintaining and developing it for the last two years....
  2. You wouldn't have all these broken promises because they wouldn't be getting jerked around by a parent company that just wants to take the money and run. You wouldn't have to go through the total PIA of an acquisition.
  3. Would would have seen fully developed faction since they would have more development time and resources.
  4. Cryptic would be changing gears constantly because of all the problems mentioned previously. You think we are mad.... I bet the devs haven't loved it either.

These guys have been dealt a bad hand and they are doing their best to get out of it now that they can. I'm buying my life time sub because it's Star Trek,. not because I'm worried that getting 15 alts is now going to be tougher.

Sometimes they tell us things and they don't happen or happen differently because everything they tell us is not fed through a PR machine. If it was, you would know nothing until the second it drops and you would have no input.

Imagine a popular cell phone company who's favorite color is red running these forums:
  • Forum Mod on a Wednesday "We don't know anything about a Defiant +1, it's the first I've heard of it.
  • Forum Mod a week later: Hey look at this new Defiant +1 that we are so very proud to release today.... we have been working on it for 3 months!
But if Atari was so bad, then how do you explain the much better Free To Play model they converted to for Champions Online?

I don't blame the Devs for all that has gone horribly wrong. I've even said I was wrong in thinking people wouldn't subscribe when they learned about this business model of theirs (although that was deleted).

All I can't understand is how they can not look at Champions when they decide to do things in STO. Big successes in Champions would most likely be that in STO as well. But they haven't. Don't know who have called those shots but I'm sure the game would be much better if they waited with the F2P and made the changes a lot of people requested.

I do know that it would have been a lot better if they focused on releasing the next FE, and then started the F2P conversion and made sure the bugs were squashed before it went live. The same goes for the skill tree revamp. It's half done. Yet they have released it.
  1. Perpetual tanked and transferred the IP to Cryptic, with no code. CBS said this license expires in two years and to get on it or else. Have nothing to do with the state of the game today. Two years have passed and they have had time to fix these things. But they prioritized differently.
  2. Cryptic was forced to rush the game and released it in 2 years (WoW took 4 to 5 years for initial release)
  3. Atari........ Released the Chapions Online F2P with a great success.
  4. Atari........ Are you listening? They did listen. More then I can say Perfect World has as of late.
  5. The sale from Atari to PWE.... it was like a month where it was a ghost town(This is normal for big acquisitions) I've been through big company take overs myself a few times and I know that there are problems that comes with that. But we managed to have 100% operation through all these take overs. So it's more about the company selling and the one buying not agreeing on keeping the business running during the process.
  6. After PWE bought the joint, they threw the brakes on whatever and started working on what you saw hit tribble after they wiped it. You don't think that took them a week to make it did you? Hello!?!?! McFly?!?!!? Yes I know they did and it was not the right move to do. To guarantee a smooth take over you let the ongoing projects finish and then you start making changes. Not stopping everything, change the focus and rush something through that isn't well thought out. Keeping in mind the amount of work it takes to do all these changes shouldn't they have let them finish those before launching it? Shouldn't they have listened to what the customers want and make sure they keep their current customers happy to make sure they would give free positive publicity to all and everyone they come in contact with?
  7. 3 Months of F2P Beta testing and development. Clearly not enough time though.
  8. And here we are it's Dec 1st.... Yes, and an unfinished product is yet again released on the masses to accept and not complain about.
And understand me correctly, I love Star Trek and the fact there is a game like this. But what I don't like is the way it is heading now nor when it was originally released prematurely.
Lt. Commander
# 34
12-16-2011, 03:49 PM
What special features can we, the lifetimers, expect for the future?

Some kind of special new exclusive stuff or something else like that.