Lt. Commander
# 1 Monitor/PC Problem
12-01-2011, 06:08 PM
Hello STO community. I'm making this thread because I had a problem with my monitor yesterday and today. Yesterday when I woke up I turned my monitor and pc on and the monitor's power light flickered and every now and then the Digital/Analog Signal would show up on the monitor screen. I was able to get into safe mode after turning the PC on and off several times. When in Safe Mode the first time I ran a Virus scan and didn't find anything. Then I did a system resore and restarted the PC and the monitor worked fine. Also when in Safe Mode the monitor didn't flicker. Didn't have any problems restarting or shutting down the pc after this.

When I went to bed though I shut it down and woke up today and the same thing happened again and I had to repeat the process above. I'm getting any flickering while I'm in windows. In fact I also downloaded and installed a driver for my monitor and I'm downloading a new version of my anti virus software and a new driver for my video card just in case. I did a scan for spyware with Ad Aware and Spybot and didn't find anything. I'm also going to run a virus scan when I finish downloading the new version of my virus software.

Now here's the thing. I don't know what would cause my computer to do this. I mean the monitor flickering in and out and the occasional ditigal/analog signal showing up. Now when it did flicker I wouldn't see anything on the screen I would just hear the sound of the monitor trying to turn itself on and/or off and see it's blue power light blink on and off. It's a Samsung SyncMaster 2220wm. I got it around 2005-2008 not sure as I don't remember. I got my PC from Alienware in 2009. I also play a lot of PC games and as such have my PC on somewhere around at least 10 hours a day. I posting all this to see if anybody has any insight as to why something like this would happen and if you have any suggestions. Thanks in advance.
Lt. Commander
# 2
12-01-2011, 06:18 PM
If I am understanding the issue correctly, the monitor is losing the video signal. It could be a loose or faulty cable, a loose or faulty connection inside the monitor itself, or a problem with the graphics card (which itself could be related to another problem like a crashing driver or an insufficient power supply). The bottom line though is that the problem is almost certainly hardware or hardware-related and not caused by something like a virus.

The correct diagnostic is to eliminate each possibility one at a time. This takes some time and patience and you may have to borrow or buy parts. Start by making sure the cable is tight. If it is and the problem continues, replace the cable. If the problem continues, hook up another computer to the cable. If the monitor does not experience a problem while being driven by another computer, replace the graphics card in the computer and see if that solves the problem, and so on.
Lt. Commander
# 3
12-01-2011, 06:22 PM
First guess, for 2005 to 2008, something simply burned out. This is a desktop, not a laptop, correct? Updating the drivers is your best bet. As for system restore, you may have restored it to whatever point, but if there's an automatic update being run, it may be putting on the same glitchy update that's causing the problem before the system restore. Worst case scenario, it's an updated driver causing conflicts with old hardware. Most manufacturers don't care too much about legacy hardware. 2008 shouldn't be too bad. 2005 though is probably pushing it.

Or like I said first, something (graphics card, motherboard...) burned out, perhaps only partially still allowing you to use your computer.

Your immediate next step right now should be BACK EVERYTHING UP!!!

That's about all I can figure on right now.
Lt. Commander
# 4
12-01-2011, 06:29 PM
Does your computer have another monitor port that doesn't go through the graphics card? You could eliminate the graphics card being a problem going through that instead. Do you have another computer you can plug the monitor into? That could eliminate the monitor as a possibility.

I had a flickering monitor one time. What happened was my graphics card had used a combination of glue and thermal gel to hold the heat sink on to the main processor. After a few times of running the card hard, the heat sink actually fell off and stuck to the bottom of my case. The card failed very quickly without a heat sink. Luckily it was still in warranty, so I got it replaced.

If you decide to open the case and wiggle wires, keep in mind that static discharge is really bad this time of year. Make sure to keep one hand on the case when you're touching circuits.
Lt. Commander
# 5
12-01-2011, 06:29 PM
Thanks for your responses. And yes this is a Desktop. Most likley I got the monitor in 2007 or something.
Lt. Commander
# 6
12-01-2011, 06:33 PM
My parents have their own computers. My Dad also has a laptop. Both of them know about the problem. I'lll check out everybody's suggestions though I'm scared of what messing around with the PC now would do it. I'm scared of even shutting it down but what the heck.
Lt. Commander
# 7
12-01-2011, 06:43 PM
Also the funny thing is everything on my PC works fine right now. The monitor, Windows istelf which is Vista by the way, PC games, the Internet.
Lt. Commander
# 8
12-01-2011, 07:57 PM
Yeah everything seems to work fine now. Weird. I shut down my PC and turned it back on. My new Virus software is installed and the video card's driver is installed. Even my games work. This has got to be the weirdest thing that's ever happened to this PC. Thanks for everybody's suggestions and help. I'll follow through with them when and if the PC and/or Monitor decide to act up again. I swear sometimes these days I think these computers have minds of their own.
Lt. Commander
# 9
12-01-2011, 08:25 PM
At this point, I'd like to second the opinion that you should IMMEDIATELY BACK UP EVERYTHING!! Your motherboard might crack in half the next time it heats up for all you know.
Lt. Commander
# 10
12-01-2011, 08:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hort_wort View Post
At this point, I'd like to second the opinion that you should IMMEDIATELY BACK UP EVERYTHING!! Your motherboard might crack in half the next time it heats up for all you know.
Hmm...yeah you're right. Thanks forgot to do that earlier.