Lt. Commander
# 1 Back stabbed
12-01-2011, 09:46 PM
After carefully developing my VA from day 1 (almost 700 days ago) I find that my skills are mostly lost, the respec runs me out of points before I can get close to what I used to be, and the resepc function seems to malfunction. I am horribly disappointed, the game is now unplayable for me, I feel betrayed and back stabbed. I am not williing to wait long for this to be correected. I love the game but can not tolerate such a horrible mistreatment of the game and myself. As I love the game I have hope but this insanity does not give me any faith. I want all my skills back as was or and infusion of skill ppints so I can make the top of the tree or I am gone (and soon). Sorry, but almost in tears as to how bad I feel. Not a very good job there Cryptic!
Lt. Commander
# 2
12-01-2011, 09:51 PM
There is no problem.

Dont use the respec trainer, just go in space and fill in the skills there.

For the somewhat standardization of the Skill tree, there are also good aspects to it.
Lt. Commander
# 3
12-01-2011, 09:52 PM
Regarding the respec, the skill trainer does not work. Just press "k", then you can respec. It took me a long time to figure this out.
Lt. Commander
# 4
12-01-2011, 10:02 PM
After almost 700 days I play'd on the test server and read stuff, I figured it out. It's really more of a embarrassment to admit you had to make a post over something that in game chat would have told you or that after all that experience you could have figured out.
Lt. Commander
# 5 amen brother
12-01-2011, 10:06 PM
i feel i must agree that skills are now prohibitively expensive and not being able to skill up entirely in the same things i used to be is just wrong and unacceptable. fire whoever had this "bright" idea and get someone in who actually likes the game and the players.
Lt. Commander
# 6
12-02-2011, 01:53 AM
Yeah i know the feeling, i just got back into game and first thing i had to respec skills to noob setup.
I originally respeced my skills many times to fit my needs and now i am very uncertain of settings i used yesterday.

There should be suggested skill setup, instead of starting from beginning and i am feel very ****ed off right now.

Maybe i have to unsubscribe again, so Cryptic can follow from my unsubscribe history if they have made mistakes

Hah, just noticed this:
http://www.stoacademy.com/tools/skillplanner/
Lt. Commander
# 7
12-02-2011, 04:32 AM
I'm having no issues and after weeks of Tribble testing the new skills the new tree itself offers no design issues that I can see.
Sacrifices will have to be made to be able to spec out those T5 skills in a manner we once enjoyed.
A 9-7-7-8-whatever is left over gives at least (2) 9's & (2) 5's approach works if you are just intersted in space combat. If you wish to go ground as well then you may have to wait until the new ground tree is in place as currently it drains too many points for a well rounded character that is viable for both PvE and PvP.

All in All, I think the changes where meant to slow the game down considerably while still allowing for fun gameplay. I cant speak to PvE but the 4.5-5 hours I spent in Ker'rat on both of my toons was a huge amount of fun and the gameplay still exists as it was before the changes.
Lt. Commander
# 8
12-02-2011, 05:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Centurion59
i feel i must agree that skills are now prohibitively expensive and not being able to skill up entirely in the same things i used to be is just wrong and unacceptable. fire whoever had this "bright" idea and get someone in who actually likes the game and the players.
I'm not having this issue. Putting 9 in anything other than a select few areas (for me it was Structural Integrity and Shield Emitters IIRC) is just a waste of points. If you keep the expenditure down to 6 in each skill then you can easily spend wide and buff all the skills you use with a little left over to buff areas you want to be a little stronger in.
My own character isn't used for PvP so I've spent very widely to allow me to use any of the ships I want to use and buff the skills I prefer to use in them whilst having full hull and shields, I know this is far from ideal but I switch ships quite often so it works for me.
Assuming the ground skill revamp doesn't force a skill point spend in ground then I can't see a huge reason why you've lost across the board as there are enough points to go around assuming they're spent wisely. But again there's no real reason to put 9 anywhere as the drop off at higher ranks (between 6 and 9 specifically) is pretty steep so it's hard to justify the cost.
Lt. Commander
# 9
12-02-2011, 05:04 AM
The old rule was to put in 7 at early levels, 9 at tier 3, and then selected 9's at higher levels.

Now it is better to put mostly 6's, with a few 9's (preferably at lower tiers). Secondary skills can get 3.
Lt. Commander
# 10
12-02-2011, 05:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Las_Vegas
After carefully developing my VA from day 1 (almost 700 days ago) I find that my skills are mostly lost, the respec runs me out of points before I can get close to what I used to be, and the resepc function seems to malfunction. I am horribly disappointed, the game is now unplayable for me, I feel betrayed and back stabbed. I am not williing to wait long for this to be correected. I love the game but can not tolerate such a horrible mistreatment of the game and myself. As I love the game I have hope but this insanity does not give me any faith. I want all my skills back as was or and infusion of skill ppints so I can make the top of the tree or I am gone (and soon). Sorry, but almost in tears as to how bad I feel. Not a very good job there Cryptic!
May I ask how you know that you can't reach your former performance without trying it? The skill tree is different and so are the effects of invested skill points, too. The power levels of my ship are different, too but the main reasons for this are the console nerfes and the nerf of the Borg Deflector (Bug?), not the skills. It's a new skill tree, so the obvious conclusion would be, that you may have to adapt your build before crying doom.

The new skill system needs some serious adjustments, but the main thing people seem complaining about is, that it is different than what they are used to.