Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 1 Science ship help
10-14-2011, 08:24 AM
So trying to tune my performance a little here is what I currently run on my Sci ship

Luna

Fore
DBBx2
Har'peng
Aft
Beam Array x 3

En Tac
Beam Overload 1

Lt Tac
Tac team 1
Beam Fire at will 2

Lt Eng
Eng Team 1
Em Power to Weapons 2

LT Com Science
Pol Hull 1
Hazard Emit 2
Energy Syphon2

Comm Science
Tacyon Beam 1
TSS 2
ST 3
CPB 3

I was thinking of going to phaser cannons and HarPeng fore and turrets back but not sure that will really increase me much in the DPS field.

Any thoughts on load out/weapons/skills? I don't PVP so that is not a concern but STF's will be when the revamps hit.

Thanks all
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 2
10-17-2011, 01:06 PM
I would not go cannon only because then you would not be able to use the subsystems targeting ability. If you dont use the targeting then I suppose its worth considering.

If youre going the shield stripper route (which you are with CPB III) I would recommend switching Sciene Team and Tachyon beam to ST1 and Tach Beam 3. Tach beam 1 is kind of meh.

Also energy siphon II is probably a waste in that spot. You could do other things there that would be better against PvE, like Scramble Sensors or CPB II (or Science Tam 3 if youre in love with it)

Also, if youre going with shield stripping, you might get more mileage out of Torpedo High yield or spread II rather than BFaW. Its a better finishing move when an opponents shields are down.

With Science, you really need to set a goal with your skills, and, aside from heals, all the other skills need to work towards that goal. Be it shield stripping with CPB and Tach Beam, Control/DPS with Grav Well and Tractor Beam, or power drain with Tykens Rift and Energy Siphon.

So decide what you like better, energy siphon or Charged Particle Burst. If its energy siphon II, change CPB to tykens rift, if its CPB, change Energy siphon II to Tach beam III or another copy of CPB. Then allot your skill points accordingly.

Hope this helps.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 3
10-20-2011, 11:25 AM
I'm new to the game and I saw this thread on science ships so I thought I would check it out. I don't actually have a science ship yet... But is it a viable option to build a science vessel based on repairing allies? Sort of a healer ship? Or would a cruiser be better for that role since they seem to geared more towards engineering? Or is the whole idea of a healer not really viable in this game?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 4
10-20-2011, 12:38 PM
It depends. If youre going to run mainly solo PvE, then a healer build would likely be a waste, as most missions are easy enough and become even easier with more DPS rather than healing.

If you are going to run fleet actions, PvP, or things like that, then yes, a healer build is totally doable and tremendoulsy useful.

Science skils can make as good if not better healers than cruisers. Part of that is because some of the very good cruiser heal skills like EPtS and RSP are self targeting only, and you cannot heal others with them. The healing science skills, however, can be dumped onto an ally.

Hazard Emitters
Science Team
Transfer Shield Strength

Though I wouldnt run a Luna if you were making a heal build. Either and Intrepid or a Deep Space Science vessel would give more healing options.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 5
10-20-2011, 10:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NuclearWessle
It depends. If youre going to run mainly solo PvE, then a healer build would likely be a waste, as most missions are easy enough and become even easier with more DPS rather than healing.

If you are going to run fleet actions, PvP, or things like that, then yes, a healer build is totally doable and tremendoulsy useful.

Science skils can make as good if not better healers than cruisers. Part of that is because some of the very good cruiser heal skills like EPtS and RSP are self targeting only, and you cannot heal others with them. The healing science skills, however, can be dumped onto an ally.

Hazard Emitters
Science Team
Transfer Shield Strength

Though I wouldnt run a Luna if you were making a heal build. Either and Intrepid or a Deep Space Science vessel would give more healing options.
Thanks! I appreciate the info.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 6
10-21-2011, 08:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NuclearWessle
I
So decide what you like better, energy siphon or Charged Particle Burst. If its energy siphon II, change CPB to tykens rift, if its CPB, change Energy siphon II to Tach beam III or another copy of CPB.

Hope this helps.
I recently tried the energy siphon/tyken's route, and was gravely dissapointed to learn that both share a cooldown--despite doing two wholly different things to completely different parts of an opponent.

Baffling.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 7 suggestion
12-03-2011, 02:33 AM
i may not be the best at tac, but i do know the HarPeng cannons do massive damage overtime. But their dps can only be increased in one of 2 ways.
1. Use the recent update to your advantage and use dilithium to upgrade your weapons and increase your dps.
2.use EPS power transfer and emergency power to weapons to increase both total damage and dps.

I would perfer number 1 because i can use dilithium to upgrade my weps so that their dps stays the way it is until i destroy it.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 8
12-05-2011, 07:30 AM
I was always a sci/sci guy(beta, and release). Was away for a while and came back and felt weaker than I was before(I am pvp oriented). 2 days ago I was so frustrated with how things were going that I talked myself into buying the C-Store Excelsior refit. After 5 arenas, 3 hours in a war zones, and 5 seperate compliments on how strong I was, I went and respec'd out of my now unnecessary(because I cant use them) science skills and am probably never going back to one of those underpowered POS sci ships(cept maybe special circumstances). Don't get me wrong, you wont have any trouble in PVE, but PVP is ROUGH in one unless maybe you only run with good premades. Sci ships need 4/4 weapon slots, or atleast 4/3 to be viable. You just can't do decent damage in one with only 3/3.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 9
12-05-2011, 07:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentaurus_Daystrom
I recently tried the energy siphon/tyken's route, and was gravely dissapointed to learn that both share a cooldown--despite doing two wholly different things to completely different parts of an opponent.

Baffling.
Yup, thats a big problem with alot of science skills.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 10
12-05-2011, 07:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NuclearWessle
It depends. If youre going to run mainly solo PvE, then a healer build would likely be a waste, as most missions are easy enough and become even easier with more DPS rather than healing.

If you are going to run fleet actions, PvP, or things like that, then yes, a healer build is totally doable and tremendoulsy useful.

Science skils can make as good if not better healers than cruisers. Part of that is because some of the very good cruiser heal skills like EPtS and RSP are self targeting only, and you cannot heal others with them. The healing science skills, however, can be dumped onto an ally.

Hazard Emitters
Science Team
Transfer Shield Strength

Though I wouldnt run a Luna if you were making a heal build. Either and Intrepid or a Deep Space Science vessel would give more healing options.
With the burst damage we see today, it can be almost impossible to counter it with healing. And a heavy heal spec sci ship does crap for damage. Sometimes you find yourself sitting there going "wtf am I doing here?".
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:54 PM.