Lt. Commander
# 1 Is it just me...
12-04-2011, 03:59 PM
...Or do Cyptic Points cost WAY too much frikkin dilithium?
Lt. Commander
# 2
12-04-2011, 04:01 PM
I think they are a bit pricey compared to other games out there.
Lt. Commander
# 3
12-04-2011, 04:02 PM
It depends on your point of view. If you're selling dilithium, it certainly seems that way. However, Dilithium is free, it's given away in the game. Cryptic points are bought with real world money. If I were selling them, I'd want a substantial dilithium reward. You could always just buy some Cryptic points at $0.0125 a point.

Though, the prices are steadily decreasing since the build went live the other day, as people are trying to under cut the person who listed before them. Wait a while and you might be rewarded (or not.) it's kind of like the stock market, you have to guess when to buy and when to sell.
Lt. Commander
# 4
12-04-2011, 04:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BataiMartin
8000 dilithium refined per day at the current rate is 20 points (if you reach this goal 5 days a week for a month, you'll have 400 c-store points).

Keep in mind that there are ways of getting pre-refined dilithium too.

Also, bear in mind that there's a huge amount of dilithium available to all players due to the currency conversion. This means that cstore prices are high due to increased demand.
Lt. Commander
# 5
12-04-2011, 04:09 PM
I'm not one to say "I told you so..."

The thing is, Cryptic points represent real money. Dilithium, as earned through grinding, does not. People seemed to take far too much away from Tribble with regards to the apparent worth of "test" currencies, and kept forgetting that the C-Points being sold there were given to players by Cryptic.

No one paid for them, thus they were 'worthless'.

And now that C-Points once again come from people's wallets (Holodeck) there is somehow surprise that they are worth so much?

Anyone paying a subscription is going to want as much value out of it as possible. If this means exchanging that investment for a large amount of in-game currency to acquire end-game gear, then so be it. I don't have a problem with it.
Lt. Commander
# 6
12-04-2011, 04:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BataiMartin
Wait, they'll come down. There's just too much dilithium out there in the hands of players who don't want/need it.

Heck, I just had a character I logged into for the first time since the update who I didn't figure wouldget much because I had spend nearly all his emblems on iitems. And, although I was bummed he wouldn't get the new BO because of it, he actually still did get over 160,000 dilithium and got it.
Lt. Commander
# 7
12-04-2011, 04:10 PM
Is it just you? No. Is it everyone? No. As already stated, it depends on how you look at it.
Lt. Commander
# 8
12-04-2011, 04:13 PM
This issue is kind of out of Cryptic's control. This is a great example of supply and demand. The supply of dilithium exceeds the current demand. This will start to move the other direction once the CP stipends start being released.
Lt. Commander
# 9
12-04-2011, 04:17 PM
Thank you all. I forgot about the fact that dilithium is a replacement for real world money, so I guess it was a bit of an overreaction.

"8000 dilithium refined per day"??? I'm sorry...I kinda...have things to do...O.o I can't be on STO all day, not even every day, so forget that idea.
Lt. Commander
# 10
12-04-2011, 04:22 PM
Yeah, they're trying to get people to play more, so that they can do their "dailies" and get their dilithium, and get either in-game items or C-store points. Of course, for most of us that won't be happening (I know I have better things to do than play this game every day) but some people will relish the thought of getting dilithium every day. BTW, the 8000 dilithium refinement per day is also per character. So, if one truly had no life, one can fill all of one's character slots and refine that much with each character, and then sell that on the exchange.