Lt. Commander
# 21
12-05-2011, 02:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psi'a Meese
I was irritated when the Ready Room console for accessing Mission Replay was removed recently. The value of interiors dropped immediately. I still want that console restored in some way.
I was rather confused about this myself, but I guess they thought it was redundant with the new mission interface system.

I have found that I am most comfortable managing my DOFF missions from my ready room desk. Some kind of bonus for that is a great idea Nagus.
Lt. Commander
# 22
12-05-2011, 02:37 AM
I (again) would love to see the whole sector space travel done from ship interior (to replace the current sector space ENTIRELY).
With less and less meaning for sector space (thanks to the new transwarp functions) that idea seems even better...
And in face of SUCH a gameplay the idea of BOFF missions to get startet from interiors ENTIRELY seems fun to me.
We'd have to plot courses to our destinations, go to the ready room and had to plan the DOFF assignments there... like... well.. a starship captain.
Lt. Commander
# 23
12-05-2011, 03:00 AM
Good idea.

I like the suggestion of a minigame to enhance your reward quality.

I would be content with unique assignments you only get in the specific sections of your ship.
a rare engineering assignment in engineering, a rare medical in sickbay, a rare diplomatic in the observation lounge (hook that map up already to the rest of my ship), a rare science one in the lab, a rare recruitment one in the transporter room... and whatever else you can think of...
Lt. Commander
# 24
12-05-2011, 03:30 AM
I'd rather have interior functionality. A doctor, an engineer, crafting console etc. Make it that during the crafting event only discounts are available at memory alpha, also you have to have the mats in your inventory to craft, no bank access.
Lt. Commander
# 25
12-05-2011, 03:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jam062307 View Post
I'd rather have interior functionality. A doctor, an engineer, crafting console etc. Make it that during the crafting event only discounts are available at memory alpha, also you have to have the mats in your inventory to craft, no bank access.
Well, right now I see no point at all there because... basicly... since "season 5" there is no crafting in Star Trek online.
Lt. Commander
# 26
12-05-2011, 05:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mav750k View Post
I was rather confused about this myself, but I guess they thought it was redundant with the new mission interface system.

I have found that I am most comfortable managing my DOFF missions from my ready room desk. Some kind of bonus for that is a great idea Nagus.
Why would you want a bonus to do what you like doing?

Managing your Doffs from the ship interior is nice, if that is what you like to do, but I see no reaons to give a bonus for it.
Why? Because bonuses should be given to things that are harder to acheive then normal. Planning from the interior of the ship is not harder, just more time consuming (loading the ship interior) .

If you want to role play then go ahead but I cant see why a bonus should be given to role players.
Lt. Commander
# 27
12-05-2011, 05:41 AM
I actually like some of the ideas in this thread. The interior of your ship should eventually amount to something and including some interactivity here might be good. Even if it's just as simple as, as was previously suggested, only having certain missions available from the bridge, ready room, engineering, etc.

Maybe we could go to sickbay and play some minigame to speed up the recovery of an injured crewmen, for example. Maybe going to Engineering and talking to staff could speed up the timer on specific doff assignments or otherwise grant a small bonus to critical success chance. The Captain does things in the shows and has a positive (or even negative) effect on event outcomes so why not integrate that into the floating hulk of nothing that is our ship?

Personally, I wouldn't want any of this to make a huge difference. One of the strengths of the doff system is that you can be as involved as you want. But small extras associated with actual new content could be a good thing overall.
Lt. Commander
# 28
12-06-2011, 11:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonySabre View Post
Hehe. I guess so. The reason I ask is because I thought the current issue with duplicate Boffs was somehow related to the Doff system? Don't know for sure but thought I'd read that somewhere.
The issue with duplicate bridge officers is unrelated to the duty officer system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jam062307 View Post
We've been looking into various options related to the duty officer system and your ship interior. A number of ideas are on the table, though most options for improvements for ship interiors are challenging from a development standpoint.
Lt. Commander
# 29
12-06-2011, 12:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heretic
We've been looking into various options related to the duty officer system and your ship interior. A number of ideas are on the table, though most options for improvements for ship interiors are challenging from a development standpoint.
Glad to hear you guys are still considering this. I think what alot of people would like to see is more realism and alot more things to do on their ship interior. I want it to feel like a home away from home. I'd like to be able to hang out with my boffs and see my doffs running around. I'd like to be able to craft and play poker or other games with my boffs or other captains. I'd like to be able to go to my replicator and order tea, Earl Grey, hot or go to the shuttle bay and board a shuttle that I could actually fly out!

I don't ever see controlling my ship or anything like that, I don't think that would work very well in this game. But when I do go into my ship interior I'd like to be sitting in my captains chair, and I think when we leave we should have to be in the captains chair to get back to the external view. Also when we want to go outside the ship we should have to go to the transporter room. This might be cumbersome for some people but it adds a sense of realism.

I know none of these changes will come quickly or easily, but I honestly think they will add alot to the game. And there should be other things completed first (Klingon content, PVP content) since this is mostly filler and fluff.. but it would be nice to see.
Lt. Commander
# 30
12-06-2011, 12:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heretic
The issue with duplicate bridge officers is unrelated to the duty officer system.

What I've been pitching forever is:

1) Separate bridges from interiors. Maybe even make it two separate selections.

2) Make bridges the immensely customizable space. They're visible and iconic and players can make their mark here. This also works because you've been selling bridges and not complete interiors as a customization feature for the most part.

3) Design mission content around the lower decks. This should be relatively easier to do rapid fire since instead of creating new maps for every mission, you'd be focused on creating a single quality map and then mass producing missions for that map. The bridge is a hub that acts as an entrance point for these missions.

4) Each type of interior has its own content chain. For instance, the Defiant interior/lower decks has mission content designed to use that map specifically.

5) The content is gated by what kind of interior you have selected. That means, ordinarily, to do any of the Defiant interior missions, you need the Defiant interior. However, in order to keep this from being a pay wall to content, there are NPC Federation ships in sector space you can visit.

-- So The Defiant interior has missions built for it. You can access those missions from your own ship wherever you are if you have the Defiant interior chosen. Otherwise, you need to track down an NPC Defiant in sector space that is issuing a distress call to beam aboard and do those missions.

6) Bridge officers do not join you as pets on ship interior missions. The corridors are simply too cramped for their AI if done well. Instead, you are always alone on ship interior missions but key NPCs placed around the map will be costumed as players' bridge officers and help out in scripted capacities such as offering special mission specific hypos or weapons, acting as mission givers, or performing scripted tasks like blowing open locked doors.

The way I see it, you'dprobably have around 5-10 interiors or so total in-game. The content development objective for each interior is to take that map and create as many missions for it as possible while not reinventing the wheel in terms of map design.

As an incentive and to simulate the use of interiors for travel, maybe completing a shipboard mission awards a transwarp device or token to reset your transwarp cooldowns. Or mission rewards include a selection of destinations from a menu.

So that you and your friends can hop aboard your interior, fight off, say, an uprising by Sybok Cultists trying to take over the ship... and then end up at your choice of destinations at the end of the mission.