Lt. Commander
# 21
12-07-2011, 03:42 PM
I only Need on gear/items I will will personally use/equip. If it's something BoE for another character of mine, I ask the group if I can Need it and I'm fine if they say no.

In any case a firm policy needs to be stated at the beginning of the run and if you are not fine with that, leave the group (it's better than being labeled a "loot ninja").

I am so tired of people who Need on everything with the reason of:

"Everybody clicks Need all the time so I'm just protecting myself from getting cheated out of my fair share" (well they sure will if they ever get in a group with you again!). Sometimes they also throw in a dig about how if you say you don't Need all the time you are lying or naive/a newb.

"I can sell it to a vendor/post it on the exchange so I do Need it" (this is especially odious when Needing on BoP gear worse than what you already have or that you cannot even use (like a Tac Needing on a Science kit))

"Oops my finger slipped" (for the eleventh time...)

(In WoW Enchanters were the worst in PUGs, "I can disenchant it, so I can "use" everything we find..." <boot><ignore>.)
Lt. Commander
# 22
12-07-2011, 08:39 PM
I used to just click greed on just about everything. Then I started playing the new STFs. I noticed that I accidentally clicked it on a data chip when everyone else "needed" it and I also noticed that some people will "need" on everything. Then I started announcing that I was going to press need on everything and suggest everyone else do the same, but I got tired of that, so I am back to just "greeding" on everything but Borg salvage.

However, sometimes if I notice that one person "needs" on almost everything, I will start doing the same.

I do think that Cryptic should make a modifier that lowers your chance of rolling a high number on need the more you use it in a mission or time period. That would encourage people to use "greed" more often when they roll schlock they do not really need since choosing "need" will put them at a disadvantage for rolling borg tech.
Lt. Commander
# 23
12-07-2011, 08:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakarak
I
I do think that Cryptic should make a modifier that lowers your chance of rolling a high number on need the more you use it in a mission or time period. That would encourage people to use "greed" more often when they roll schlock they do not really need since choosing "need" will put them at a disadvantage for rolling borg tech.
they would need to change the structure then. Because if everyne greeds, then one person needs. that one person who clicked need automatically gets it.

If you need it. you roll on it when the greeds dont. so basically, if only one person needs everything they pretty much automatically get it all.
Lt. Commander
# 24
12-07-2011, 09:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenkari
they would need to change the structure then. Because if everyne greeds, then one person needs. that one person who clicked need automatically gets it.

If you need it. you roll on it when the greeds dont. so basically, if only one person needs everything they pretty much automatically get it all.
I think perhaps I need to communicate my point more clearly.

Right now I believe your chance of getting an item via need is 1/n where n is the number of players who choose "need" on the item.

What cryptic could do is change it so your chance is 1/(n+p) where p is initially zero but increases in proportion to the number of times you choose "need".

That way, the more you choose need , the lower your chances of rolling a high number and thus the lower your chances are in comparison to someone who chooses greed on virtually everything.

That means yes, if you choose need and everyone else chooses greed you will still get the item but. . . when something you really want comes up and everyone chooses need, your chances of getting the item will be lower than theirs.
Lt. Commander
# 25
12-08-2011, 09:23 AM
Personally I think the Need or Greed should be modified to Roll or Pass. I use Round Robin because thats the only FAIR way to distribute it. But at least with a Roll or Pass if you dont need it you can pass and anybody who wants/needs it can have a fair shake. This is the only MMO that I have ever seen this system of getting things in and I think it needs to be reformed some what
Lt. Commander
# 26
12-08-2011, 09:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armsman View Post
Yes, if you want to be blacklisted. In a PUG if you really see something that you need and are going to immediately equip on your character - click Need. If it's something you're just going to vendor for EC, clieck Greed. Generally in a PUG it's bad form to 'Need' everything; and Fleets do pass around lists of players to avoid who are seen to do it a lot.)
Blacklisted... as in people won't PUG with me anymore?

That's the beauty of the new system, it's a PUG, you could be put into the mission with anyone and you don't know who you are teamed with until the mission starts. If you leave you incur the one hour penalty. So "blacklisting" a person does squat.

The game isn't set up to encourage fairness... it's set up as a gimme system. To be fair need/greed/pass would be transformed into yes/no. You either want it or you don't... none of this maybe BS.
Lt. Commander
# 27
12-08-2011, 09:47 AM
It should be a well known rule of MMO etiquette, that if you don't actually need the item, you should roll greed. If you don't want the item you should simply pass. If you actually need the item than by all means click need. It really gets on my nerves when people roll need on things like MK X Green Phaser Rifles or what have you. It takes away from the people who could add those items to fleet banks, the exchange, or selling them for EC.
Lt. Commander
# 28
12-08-2011, 10:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahn View Post
It should be a well known rule of MMO etiquette, that if you don't actually need the item, you should roll greed. If you don't want the item you should simply pass. If you actually need the item than by all means click need. It really gets on my nerves when people roll need on things like MK X Green Phaser Rifles or what have you. It takes away from the people who could add those items to fleet banks, the exchange, or selling them for EC.

Yes it SHOULD be, but it's not and never will be sadly.

i only NEED on the EDC's/tech/salvage atm.

greed on Blues, and pass on greens.

but when i see someone needing on absolutely everything, i do so as well. not becasue i need it, but to stop them from getting it. and hopefully slowing down there obsesive need for everything.
Lt. Commander
# 29
12-08-2011, 10:23 AM
I greed everything unless it's EDC etc as most others

BUT

im sure you have all gotten this where someone will need on everything, things they probably don't need, in that case I will start to need on everything in that run as well.
Lt. Commander
# 30
12-08-2011, 10:25 AM
I pass everything but Borg chips/salvage. I hope to goose my percentages. I get enough ECs from the doff system and the goodie bags at the end.