Lt. Commander
# 41
08-11-2009, 10:38 AM
I don't know about this. It's too early to say what this game is turning out to be. Though Cryptic is jumping up and down and saying they want to give us as much info as possible it just seems like they're beating around the bush on some things and simply not giving the community what they expect on others. I think there should be a beam out option for battles. Yes, you'd lose and that's a fair compromise for both teams. Maybe you couldn't beam back right away either so it's even more fair. Or else you'd have guys beaming back and forth trying to knock each other out and the thing would go on for hours. IMO there should be a beam out thing. As for one point on the whole planet to explore....weak. A vast majority of it should be explorable. That's the whole idea. You have a game that generates entire worlds with random topography and geography. It can easily place ruins, items and indegenous life. That would be interesting to see. You could spend a long time on a planet discovering and enjoying and other teams can do it on any other point of the surface. That way no one is relegated to being couped up with 20 other teams in a smaller area. I'm not sure such a significant focus on PvP is necessary either. You KNOW there are guys out there that don't care what game it is , they just want to satisfy their egos by blowing up everything and making the game miserable for everyone else (Serenity Now anyone?). Anyways, I'm not gonna write this game off but I'm also concerned about the direction in which it is heading.

Let's see what happens.

PS. You want end-game....go play WOW. By the way, that game is awful. I have no idea why it's so addictive.
Lt. Commander
# 42
08-11-2009, 11:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rekhan
If you really want to get out of Dodge, you can run from your enemies. If you get out of combat long enough, you’ll have the option to beam back up to your ship and regroup there. But there’s no way to leave during combat.
Unless of course it is part of the mission? Specifically the infamous "hold out until the timer runs out" scenario? That would make a great random mission as well for the occasional 'spice'.
Lt. Commander
# 43
08-11-2009, 11:57 AM
i still have to say the whole pet thing is still what worries me, how many games are there where your "pets" do more harm then good, you say take shelter behind that rock and fire when they are in range and your pet runs off the in other direction grabbing every enemy it can find and then decides to come back to you.....sometimes i swear pets are working for the other side, theyre just out to get you when your guard is down.
Lt. Commander
# 44
08-11-2009, 12:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by drachenhaut View Post
i still have to say the whole pet thing is still what worries me, how many games are there where your "pets" do more harm then good, you say take shelter behind that rock and fire when they are in range and your pet runs off the in other direction grabbing every enemy it can find and then decides to come back to you.....sometimes i swear pets are working for the other side, theyre just out to get you when your guard is down.
couldn't agree more. I'm hoping there is the options to be the one man army.
Lt. Commander
# 45
08-11-2009, 12:16 PM
not bad news on the landing front... carry on cryptic im still buying the game
Lt. Commander
# 46
08-11-2009, 12:46 PM
Well, I sadly have to agree with the more "angry" people that have been posting. I was slowly losing my interest in this game and I think I just hit a watershed.

I realize that STO can't be fully Cannon or Lore or whatever phrase you want to use. But I love the TV shows and the movies. That is what I expected. The ability to explore new areas, exploit their resources, and tell them to "Join the Federation or else..." or kill them as Klingons. Simplistic and cynical, I know.

I also hoped to be able to explore everything. From planets to ships.

I feel that the game (at least according to my perception of the original concept) is being perverted by the desire for PvP and Pwnzors.

I just wanted to get lost in space for hours at a time, find some random planet that had some sort of resource my faction needed, or people that it could exploit, and find some way (diplomatically, militarily, etc) to get it back to my faction. All the while being berated by Ferengi and assimilated by Borg.

Now it really does seem like the "Load out, beam down, and kill some bugs. Oh, and you can try to blow each other up in ships, but you can't move around in them."
Lt. Commander
# 47
08-11-2009, 12:59 PM
Cryptic. I have some questions and ideas for you. Will it be possible to be on another person's ship instead of your own? This opens up more possibilities. In PVP space combat, the captain of the ship could knock out shields and allow the other player to beam into the ship, knock out a system, and leave before the shields regenerate. They could even man one of the fighters that you said larger ships can deploy. Also, outside of combat, you could just hang out on the ship. Play games on the holodeck and whatnot. Also, all we've seen of ship interiors is the bridge of a federation vessel. if any other parts have been finished, can we see them? I'd like to see bridges, engineering, hallways, transporters, observation decks, etc. of both ships (provided that you've made them yet). Also, will ships be fully explorable? If not that, at least a condensed version with elevators and hallways connecting major rooms, such as those listed above?

(sorry if I rambled. I have a lot of questions)
Lt. Commander
# 48
08-11-2009, 01:36 PM
Good questions all around. Nice to see they are thinking about species benefits.
Lt. Commander
# 49 Yippy
08-11-2009, 01:38 PM
[Fans of Star Trek - fellow posters]
What I think the problem is, is that the Dev team can easily lose focus trying to listen to all our ideas. I'm sure they filter a huge portion of this bantering for things that actually sound innovative. Probably the more we vent and not actually innovate in detail the more they disregard.

I for one feel like awesome Cryptic loves to make games. No doubt about it. However, I also feel that they have an ego and that ego is to fulfill their own "innovative" ideas. Sometimes you really have to provide solid evidence that a game concept is foolish to really change something. Especially if their programming is nearly complete and they don't want to go back and change up a theory of operation just to get something to work. I also truelly 100% believe that (despite the MMO factor) Cryptic as a team or by the Leaders personal choice that once a game is 'completed' to their idea of completion that there is no need to include numerous value expansions. Like instead of an expansion for added costumes(which are good in of themselves), patches and or visual upgrades. Cryptic, in my humble opinion, hasn't really upgraded any titles yet.
IE: We have a standard STO mmo. Within that we can generally explore, have endless episodes, do ground combat and space combat. In a PVP non dynamic setting.. with a few territorial control options. To me, including addons (not like new cities/environments) but allowing colonization(a Star Trek PC game), full world exploration, Red Shirt names/personalities, space anomalies(beyond that of what the game would launch with) etc.. etc..
Don't let this discourage the develpers though, because I know very well how much work you guys are putting into this. If there is any gripe from me, it's because you aren't the only ones who work hard in life. We still love Cryptic!

What is going to make this game great? We can list a million ideas but most of the important ones don't come up until they've implemented them or brought them up in the topic. We aren't the programmers having to spend hours and hours of money to put together ideas we read in our fanposts. Those ideas may not be clear enough to give them an idea of what THEY can do to make it happen.

[My own bantering - Ideas to think about(not fully rationalized concepts)]
I'm not a huge PVP fan. Matter o fact, I only play PVP if there are TONS of things to do. The more there is to do in a battle to break up the hardcore vs the not so hardcore, the funner it is. I don't want to die ten times against a dude/chick that plays pvp with all their heart and soul. Although, there are times I do like to play hardcore, its not when I'm playing against those who are 10x's more involved in it than me.

[Response to the developers post - Speculative]
I like the idea of federation vs. klingons vs. PVE. This actually sounds really fun. Only because there will be a huge team of Federation VS a huge team of either Klingons or PVE.

Not being able teleport out: We have to think about this deeply. The first thing I think of when I hear this is Gears of War 2. Now.. we are playing Star Trek and we can't beam out. This leads me to believe that the Developers just want to finish up this aspect of the game and not have to worry about it while they attend to other details of their game. Not fair to beam out for pvpr's. I think that this IS NOT really a huge detail that will ruin the game. I'm sure they are going through a development cycle that has them a little worried. It might ruin their PVP aspect of the game if its not fun though and that is probably a quarter of their gameplay in and of itself. So then again, it may be important.

Who knows..

Star Trek Episodes are about giving you a glimpse into the future of the human race and a view on the Galaxy. The Devs said they are focusing on the episodes. If you love the episodes, this is more than likely more than 50% of the gameplay experience. 25% PVP and 25% PVE ... thats my estimation and the developers can give their own numbers.

[My view of Star Trek]
What I'd like to see and have posted before.. while getting flamed for it:
A galaxy that interacts dynamically within itself. Species are discovered and they interact with other species, the federation, resources, territories. Constantly this is updated and constantly you have to deal with these issues(a chosen course vs more exploration and/or pvp)
A game that includes all other Star Trek experiences within it. Where you can help establish Star Fleet Colonies.
Lt. Commander
# 50
08-11-2009, 02:42 PM
i love how someone else posted questions about exploring the ship's interior. i would love to have the opportunity to interact with my own crew. even more so than doing battle or missions